Branding...off shoot of hangers thread

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Inn

Reaction score
You are so right about the branding aspect of labelling the hangers, and anything else amenable to branding. I was very lucky a number of years back to participate in a series of Tom Peters workshops - you may remember his books from years and years ago (In Search of Excellence, Managing through Chaos, etc. - I am really dating myself here). The intensive workshops were several days each and were great. One was on building Teams. One was named "Brand You." Another "WOW." These last two in particular were about promoting your brand and exceeding customer expectations. And, yes, Tom Peters does indeed "swear, shout, and spit" during his presentations. I was on the front row once at an event in DC and found that I had to consciously make an effort to ignore his abrasiveness in order to allow his messages to get through. Yet, I will never forget one of his points, paraphrased: "to be a successful in any team, no matter how much you know or how good you are at something, you must 'be fun to be at the party.'" I find that I still use that one. Recently when we were hiring for a housekeeper/server, I was more drawn to the person who was qualified (very OVER qualified, due to our high unemployment rate; we received lots of applications!) and also seemed like they would be fun to work with. That upbeat positive nature of the employee can be heard all about the place whenever she is here. She previously ran a medical lab so is not a bit put off with all the little details of cleanliness.
You know, I almost never post to forums, but am feeling a strong need to connect in these really slow times!

And I love it! Be fun to be at the party!
Then perhaps you will appreciate a second concept espoused by Tom Peters regarding hiring and selecting new employees, or even reassigning those you have.
He told us to remember this:
"you can work with what got left in. but you can do nothing about what got left out."
Come to think about it, the same holds true for these old homes we call inns, right?
Peters was talking about the particular strengths or skills of an employee...it just so happened that I heard his message just when I was working so hard to save an employee by rescuing her, going the extra mile time and time again, with lots of second chances. What is it they say? "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."
Regarding the fun at the party: I have to say, that when we are up to our necks in deep cleaning around here but we are still laughing, I really appreciate our employee's being fun! Recently I invited her to sit in on an inspection discussion. The inspector said he didn't even find any dust UNDER THE BED. Our employee said with a great laugh, "Amazing...you looked UNDER the bed, too?!"

Hello, you! Long time no see. Welcome to innspiring. Glad to hear you are still loving the mangle. We are on the road to the PAII?SR conference in Austin - will you be there? Hope George and Scratch and Zephyr are all doing well.

Hello, you! Long time no see. Welcome to innspiring. Glad to hear you are still loving the mangle. We are on the road to the PAII?SR conference in Austin - will you be there? Hope George and Scratch and Zephyr are all doing well..
muirford said:
Glad to hear you are still loving the mangle. We are on the road to the PAII?SR conference in Austin - will you be there?
Hey!
Nope, we won't be at PAII. Would love to do it, but we have some projects underway that we feel we can't leave others in charge of. We are all doing well, thanks. Had 5-6 inches of snow today and we all played in it! Pets, too. They are so funny and goofy.
Have a great trip and conference!

Back