Bread fell?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I'm baking quick bread using a recipe that has always worked in the past. Set the timer for 25 minutes and the bread was coming along nicely, but not quite done. Reset timer for 8 minutes and when I came back the bread had fallen and that was the end of that. It's nicely baked on the edges but completely uncooked in the middle. And that's after 45 minutes total on a bread that usually takes 35 minutes tops.
Any ideas?
I now have muffins in the oven. If these fail I have the option that the baking powder is bad or the oven is out of whack. And I still will have to make something to serve in the AM!

How did the muffins turn out?
I wouldn't think bad baking soda is the culprit if the bread rose and collapsed. Probably too much leavening or an imbalance between wet and dry ingredients. Since you say the center of the loaf was completely uncooked, my guess too much liquid in the batter or the oven cooled off prematurely.
Let us know if you figure it out.

One Christmas I could not get any of my cookies to bake and thought I was going out of my mind. Turned out my oven door was not closing properly so the heat was escaping.
RIki

How did the muffins turn out?
I wouldn't think bad baking soda is the culprit if the bread rose and collapsed. Probably too much leavening or an imbalance between wet and dry ingredients. Since you say the center of the loaf was completely uncooked, my guess too much liquid in the batter or the oven cooled off prematurely.
Let us know if you figure it out..
Muffins were perfect. My guess is the ingredients weren't in the right ratio. I'm trying again with a completely different recipe, completely different ingredients.

Second set of breads just fine. Must have been something about the recipe that I did wrong.

Probably something with the leavening... used b. soda instead of b. powder? forgot to put it in? used too much (like put it in twice by accident)? Or the leavening's ratio to other ingredients... forgot the flour? or used to little flour?
Baking powder starts working as soon as the liquids hit it. If you left it sitting in the pan a while before you baked it, that could also have an impact.
Baking powder does loose its effectiveness over time... although it will still work, just not as well. But if you used it in another recipe and it was fine, then obviously that wasn't it.
It sounds to me like you forgot to put it in... or made some other mistake in the ingredients.
Good luck!
=)
Kk.

Probably something with the leavening... used b. soda instead of b. powder? forgot to put it in? used too much (like put it in twice by accident)? Or the leavening's ratio to other ingredients... forgot the flour? or used to little flour?
Baking powder starts working as soon as the liquids hit it. If you left it sitting in the pan a while before you baked it, that could also have an impact.
Baking powder does loose its effectiveness over time... although it will still work, just not as well. But if you used it in another recipe and it was fine, then obviously that wasn't it.
It sounds to me like you forgot to put it in... or made some other mistake in the ingredients.
Good luck!
=)
Kk..
To me, the amazing thing is I COULD bake before we moved here. I rarely had problems with any baking. Now, I try to stay out of the kitchen altogether!
So, because this seems to be a recent development (my baking disasters) this is how I set myself up...all ingredients on the list are on the left side of the counter, and I check twice. Once used, I move them to the right side of the counter. If there's anything on the left when I'm ready to put something in the oven, I know there's a problem!
So, I went back and looked and I had the baking powder (not soda, that's one that I've done before) and it was on the right side of the counter. The next recipe came out fine so the powder is good. I think it was the zucchini. Not moist enough.
So, they got lemon poppy seed instead.

Back