Bread Machines

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wikipedia says:
In the United States, back bacon is called Canadian-style bacon or Canadian bacon, but this term refers usually to the lean ovoid portion.[3] In Canada, it is called peameal bacon, whereas bacon is used generally to refer to strip bacon, which is more common to the Canadian diet.
Here is the definition from Wisegeek

I have several breads that are mix let rise for about 15 minutes, beat down and put in pans - English muffin bread which is a big hit for breakfasts and the herb bread that has people waiting for it at the Farmer's market. Each one needs about 15 minutes in the pans and it is ready to bake.
Cathy, I make my French bread for dinners - 1 loaf for the guest's dinner and the other loaf is their bread pudding for breakfast the next morning.
When making my white bread, I knead it nd set it to raise while I do other things and come back to do the shaping of the loaves and raise in the pan for baking while again doing someing else.
Kneading bread is where I get rid of my frustrations. Works wonders!.
Would love to have a copy of your bread recipes if you would be so kind as to share.
First time for me making brown bread yesterday .. finally got some molasses that someone imported for me. Will look for other recipes now.
Are you in the kitchen all day. Breakfast and dinner? You do afternoon "snacks" as well right?
My french bread recipe is easy to make and in this heat can be done in about 1 1/2 hours, but still not thinking I want to get up any earlier to make bread. It is good toasted day after.
We are taking guests to the airport today (we charge the going rate for this trip) so I won't be able to make fresh bread for tomorrow. I am thinking 2 day old bread for toast will be ok.
Use the 2-day old bread to make either bread pudding or french toast. No one will know the difference - actually it will be better than fresh bread in either recipe, as long as it is not penicillen in the raw.
Will post the breads.
gillumhouse said:
Use the 2-day old bread to make either bread pudding or french toast.
'Pain perdu' - lost bread. That's what I serve when I have French guests. Mostly because a teen this summer was sick to death of everything here being 'French-this' and 'French-that' and none of it is French! Hubs told her we only name the good stuff 'French'. That gave her something to think about.
That's like the Canadian's, who when presented with Canadian bacon, said "That's Canadian Bacon? We've never had it before!" DH said, that's because in Canada, it's just called bacon.
inncogneeto said:
That's like the Canadian's, who when presented with Canadian bacon, said "That's Canadian Bacon? We've never had it before!" DH said, that's because in Canada, it's just called bacon.
Is it? I would like to know the answer to this, thanks for bringing it up. For all things trivial I have to know now. Can our Neighbors to the North clarify please?
Is what we call "Canadian Bacon" your bacon? Or is that just the name we Yanks have given it? There are a ton of things like this (which I cannot think of right now of course) that are called something - FRENCH TOAST - French people do not eat this and they want to know why we call it this.
FOSTER's the beer of Australia - which was an Export only and advertised to American's as the beer of Australia, which Aussie's don't drink. They drink Tooehy's or VB or one of the other beers popular there.
Bacon in Australia are RASHERS. There is a small section of it which would be called the Canadian Bacon. But what I find here in the states is the Canadian Bacon is HAM. Not bacon at all.
Let's clarify the sit-chee-ashun.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
inncogneeto said:
Is it? I would like to know the answer to this, thanks for bringing it up. For all things trivial I have to know now. Can our Neighbors to the North clarify please?
Is what we call "Canadian Bacon" your bacon? Or is that just the name we Yanks have given it?
I've seen photos of what you neighbours to the south call 'Canadian bacon'. It looks like sliced bologna in these photos, perfectly round slices of meat. That's not what we call bacon. I don't see anything like that sold here with any kind of bacon-y term attached to it.
I used to think what you call Canadian bacon is the same as what we call back bacon or peameal bacon. That is, cured pork loin rolled in cornmeal. You must cook it before it can be eaten (unlike ham). It's usually thick-sliced and pan fried or grilled. The slices are oblong and irregular, definitely not round circles. It's called back bacon because it is comes from the back of the pig, not the side of the pig like regular bacon.
We just call call side (strip) bacon, bacon. Some people will refer to a rasher of bacon when they're buying a package of it, but that's more of a british term.
I'm really curious what Canadian bacon actually is for you guys. Does the package actually say Canadian Bacon? Why is it so round???
Neat topic.

It is round. BUT there is a canadian bacon that is more like a greasy ham product put on to pizzas here, typically with pineapple.
But to go to the store right now, it is a package like lunch meat with 6 slices of labeled "Canadian Bacon." It tastes nothing like bacon. It is not cured nor smoked. Very bland. Well it might be cured, but it doesn't taste like it.

I have several breads that are mix let rise for about 15 minutes, beat down and put in pans - English muffin bread which is a big hit for breakfasts and the herb bread that has people waiting for it at the Farmer's market. Each one needs about 15 minutes in the pans and it is ready to bake.
Cathy, I make my French bread for dinners - 1 loaf for the guest's dinner and the other loaf is their bread pudding for breakfast the next morning.
When making my white bread, I knead it nd set it to raise while I do other things and come back to do the shaping of the loaves and raise in the pan for baking while again doing someing else.
Would love to have a copy of your bread recipes if you would be so kind as to share.
First time for me making brown bread yesterday .. finally got some molasses that someone imported for me. Will look for other recipes now.
Are you in the kitchen all day. Breakfast and dinner? You do afternoon "snacks" as well right?
My french bread recipe is easy to make and in this heat can be done in about 1 1/2 hours, but still not thinking I want to get up any earlier to make bread. It is good toasted day after.
We are taking guests to the airport today (we charge the going rate for this trip) so I won't be able to make fresh bread for tomorrow. I am thinking 2 day old bread for toast will be ok.
Use the 2-day old bread to make either bread pudding or french toast. No one will know the difference - actually it will be better than fresh bread in either recipe, as long as it is not penicillen in the raw.
Will post the breads.
gillumhouse said:
'Pain perdu' - lost bread. That's what I serve when I have French guests. Mostly because a teen this summer was sick to death of everything here being 'French-this' and 'French-that' and none of it is French! Hubs told her we only name the good stuff 'French'. That gave her something to think about.
inncogneeto said:
Is what we call "Canadian Bacon" your bacon? Or is that just the name we Yanks have given it? There are a ton of things like this (which I cannot think of right now of course) that are called something - FRENCH TOAST - French people do not eat this and they want to know why we call it this.
FOSTER's the beer of Australia - which was an Export only and advertised to American's as the beer of Australia, which Aussie's don't drink. They drink Tooehy's or VB or one of the other beers popular there.
Bacon in Australia are RASHERS. There is a small section of it which would be called the Canadian Bacon. But what I find here in the states is the Canadian Bacon is HAM. Not bacon at all.
I don't think they call it bacon, he was just making a joke because if you're in Canada, why would you call it Canadian bacon? You're already there, so it would just be bacon...

The stuff we buy is round, thinly sliced and tastes like smoked ham, it is fully cooked and really yummy, comes in a big pack at Sam's...It's very lean only 1.5 g fat per serving, 4 slices.

Canadian bacon is a smoked cured back bacon ... not much fat. Not sure why or when it became round. When purchased from a real butcher it is just back bacon.
I think they made it round for English muffins. Eggs Beni, etc. ;)

Canadian bacon is a smoked cured back bacon ... not much fat. Not sure why or when it became round. When purchased from a real butcher it is just back bacon.
I think they made it round for English muffins. Eggs Beni, etc. ;).
Cathy said:
I think they made it round for English muffins. Eggs Beni, etc. ;)
WOW!!! THAT IS IT! YOU ARE RIGHT! For eggs bennie. I think I read that somewhere.

Will post the breads.
gillumhouse said:
inncogneeto said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
inncogneeto said:
Is what we call "Canadian Bacon" your bacon? Or is that just the name we Yanks have given it?
I've seen photos of what you neighbours to the south call 'Canadian bacon'. It looks like sliced bologna in these photos, perfectly round slices of meat. That's not what we call bacon. I don't see anything like that sold here with any kind of bacon-y term attached to it.
I used to think what you call Canadian bacon is the same as what we call back bacon or peameal bacon. That is, cured pork loin rolled in cornmeal. You must cook it before it can be eaten (unlike ham). It's usually thick-sliced and pan fried or grilled. The slices are oblong and irregular, definitely not round circles. It's called back bacon because it is comes from the back of the pig, not the side of the pig like regular bacon.
We just call call side (strip) bacon, bacon. Some people will refer to a rasher of bacon when they're buying a package of it, but that's more of a british term.
I'm really curious what Canadian bacon actually is for you guys. Does the package actually say Canadian Bacon? Why is it so round???
Neat topic.
happyjacks said:
It's smaller than balogna. It's a lot like ham.
happyjacks said:
Yes, back bacon, but no cornmeal, already cured and cooked (usually), but I expect that's fairly recent and that a long time ago (before convenience foods caused our supermarkets to triple in size) our Canadian bacon was more like what you describe.
happyjacks said:
I don't hear rasher, but like you, side or strip bacon is just bacon.
happyjacks said:
Yes, it really does. And like the others said, probably so it can fit nicely on an English muffin.
=)
Kk.

I always thought a rasher of bacon was a measurement as in how many slices of bacon. For some reason, I thought it was 3 slices of bacon or a serving.
Edited to say tis a bit of a slip from bread machines to Canadian and other bacon. To the Aspirings, this is why you read through our threads. One never knows where it is going to go.

I always thought a rasher of bacon was a measurement as in how many slices of bacon. For some reason, I thought it was 3 slices of bacon or a serving.
Edited to say tis a bit of a slip from bread machines to Canadian and other bacon. To the Aspirings, this is why you read through our threads. One never knows where it is going to go..
gillumhouse said:
Edited to say tis a bit of a slip from bread machines to Canadian and other bacon. To the Aspirings, this is why you read through our threads. One never knows where it is going to go.
I always thought a 'rasher' was 2 slices. Turns out it's just the one slice.

Edited to say tis a bit of a slip from bread machines to Canadian and other bacon. To the Aspirings, this is why you read through our threads. One never knows where it is going to go..
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
our American bacon is totally fat and shrivels up to nothing. The rashers are large meaty peice of bacon. Nothing like this bacon here. I cannot barely eat this bacon, once you have had the rashers. They are, let's see - - twice as thick, twice as long and twice and wide. 2 slices of that alongside an egg, mmmmmm.
One slice on a burger, one slice fills a whole BLT sandwich. And not all fat!
P1040021.JPG

Okay here is the definitive definition about the RASHER.
We BBQ them in Australia. Can you put American bacon on a grill outside to bbq? Nope. That is your answer right there. So you can see how meaty and yummy they are.

Okay here is the definitive definition about the RASHER.
We BBQ them in Australia. Can you put American bacon on a grill outside to bbq? Nope. That is your answer right there. So you can see how meaty and yummy they are..
So, all my Agatha Christie stories are referring to this kind of bacon when they say 'rashers of bacon'?

I have a recipe for a Tuscan loaf that is out of this world. It starts the day before you bake it with a "madre" (mother) that you make. The madre takes 3 mintues toput together. It rests and gets all wonderfully yeasty. Then you add the rest of the ingredients to the madre and finish it off. I have put olives in it and make an olive loaf. I have also put a store-bought-bruschetta topping in it. It is a simple recipe that can be adjusted to your tastes.
Does anyone have a good english muffin bread recipe that they are willing to share? I have heard of it, but never eaten it.

I have a recipe for a Tuscan loaf that is out of this world. It starts the day before you bake it with a "madre" (mother) that you make. The madre takes 3 mintues toput together. It rests and gets all wonderfully yeasty. Then you add the rest of the ingredients to the madre and finish it off. I have put olives in it and make an olive loaf. I have also put a store-bought-bruschetta topping in it. It is a simple recipe that can be adjusted to your tastes.
Does anyone have a good english muffin bread recipe that they are willing to share? I have heard of it, but never eaten it..
Go to the recipe section here - there's an English Muffin Bread recipe posted.

I am a bread baking machine today! But not yeast bread...I'm making more of the squash-zucchini bread before the squash goes bad. Poor hubs wants to know where it's all going to go.
Personally, I don't like the taste of bread machine bread. And that may be something to do with our machine. It always tastes somewhat like machine oil. If you have a sewing machine or hair trimmer, you know the oil I mean..
You astound me each and every time .... How on earth do you manage to be a "bread baking machine" in August and sound happy about it. I'm beyond impressed.
I know that everyone on this forum goes "above and beyond" and delivers an incredible and consistent "product", but I also know you and your market and the thought of large scale baking, in August, has me amazed and in awe.

I am a bread baking machine today! But not yeast bread...I'm making more of the squash-zucchini bread before the squash goes bad. Poor hubs wants to know where it's all going to go.
Personally, I don't like the taste of bread machine bread. And that may be something to do with our machine. It always tastes somewhat like machine oil. If you have a sewing machine or hair trimmer, you know the oil I mean..
You astound me each and every time .... How on earth do you manage to be a "bread baking machine" in August and sound happy about it. I'm beyond impressed.
I know that everyone on this forum goes "above and beyond" and delivers an incredible and consistent "product", but I also know you and your market and the thought of large scale baking, in August, has me amazed and in awe.
The Tipsy Butler said:
The secret is...multiple night stays. I'm done cleaning at noon. The bananas or squash or zucchini are going bad, I can't let that happen! More banana bread today, but it's my 'day off'. Last guests will be leaving momentarily and we'll clean, I'll do my own 5' stack of laundry and then I can relax!
I could not have done this in mid-August with multiple one nighters. But, at this time of year, it's more multiple nights and fewer rooms. I started to gather up all my marbles again.
wink_smile.gif

I use a bread machine to mix on the dough cycle and knead. Then I remove and form and bake like El does.

Back