Bread Machines

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought a rasher of bacon was a measurement as in how many slices of bacon. For some reason, I thought it was 3 slices of bacon or a serving.
Edited to say tis a bit of a slip from bread machines to Canadian and other bacon. To the Aspirings, this is why you read through our threads. One never knows where it is going to go..
gillumhouse said:
I always thought a rasher of bacon was a measurement as in how many slices of bacon. For some reason, I thought it was 3 slices of bacon or a serving.
Edited to say tis a bit of a slip from bread machines to Canadian and other bacon. To the Aspirings, this is why you read through our threads. One never knows where it is going to go.
I always thought a 'rasher' was 2 slices. Turns out it's just the one slice.
Ahhhh - English as A Foreign Language.
There were so many words that I took forgranted when I first got here ...
Rasher - in common-speak - is simply a slice of bacon. One. By implication it is probably a nice, thick, farmer's slice.
With so many Brit films / comedies etc out there most people know what a queue is by now, but fortnight always got me in trouble .... and back home it's an oft used word. A fortnight's holiday .... see you in a fortnight ..... One friend confidently stated that it stood for "For Two Nights". I also remember asking for a department in Bloomingdales and heading towards the escalators when told it was on The First Floor. To me that meant the floor above the ground floor.
Of course, the most misunderstood, little-known words are slang terms that I've pretty much forgotton (especially as they tend to be very regional). "Pillock" is one that comes to mind right now (goodness knows why)

I just usually use it to mix my doughs and the I shape and bake in the oven.
Can you freeze the doughs?
For banana or zucchini bread I'd just freeze the bread. Swirt did a double blind taste test and the frozen was actually (slightly) better than the fresh.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
For banana or zucchini bread I'd just freeze the bread. Swirt did a double blind taste test and the frozen was actually (slightly) better than the fresh.
=)
Kk.
I have a freezer full of frozen breads right now. They slice soooo much better frozen, too! It rarely gets eaten, maybe guests think it's 'leftovers' and don't touch it? So, more for me!

Edited to say tis a bit of a slip from bread machines to Canadian and other bacon. To the Aspirings, this is why you read through our threads. One never knows where it is going to go..
gillumhouse said:
Edited to say tis a bit of a slip from bread machines to Canadian and other bacon. To the Aspirings, this is why you read through our threads. One never knows where it is going to go.
I always thought a 'rasher' was 2 slices. Turns out it's just the one slice.
Ahhhh - English as A Foreign Language.
There were so many words that I took forgranted when I first got here ...
Rasher - in common-speak - is simply a slice of bacon. One. By implication it is probably a nice, thick, farmer's slice.
With so many Brit films / comedies etc out there most people know what a queue is by now, but fortnight always got me in trouble .... and back home it's an oft used word. A fortnight's holiday .... see you in a fortnight ..... One friend confidently stated that it stood for "For Two Nights". I also remember asking for a department in Bloomingdales and heading towards the escalators when told it was on The First Floor. To me that meant the floor above the ground floor.
Of course, the most misunderstood, little-known words are slang terms that I've pretty much forgotton (especially as they tend to be very regional). "Pillock" is one that comes to mind right now (goodness knows why)
I use some 'Brit-speak' especially if I've been reading murder mysteries. And I DO know what a fortnight is. (Very proud I eventually figured that one out, who knows how!)
We had some US folks here the other day explaining 'floors' to their kid (maybe they live in a single floor house) and I wanted to say, 'Oh, that numbering doesn't work everywhere,' but I didn't want to confuse the kid (altho, I think he would have caught right on, he was pretty smart).
'Spliff' is the one I came across recently that took a few paragraphs to figure out. And then I found it in one of my crosswords!

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I have a freezer full of frozen breads right now. They slice soooo much better frozen, too! It rarely gets eaten, maybe guests think it's 'leftovers' and don't touch it? So, more for me!
Why would they think it is leftovers??? It is thawed by the time the guests get it....right?? Like you say..their loss...more for you:)

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Why would they think it is leftovers??? It is thawed by the time the guests get it....right?? Like you say..their loss...more for you:)
catlady said:
Because they think the bread is leftover from breakfast? Yes, it thaws very quickly. I unfortunately got a little behind the other day and put out frozen peanut butter cookies thinking they would defrost before the guests saw them. Nope. Got a sarcastic comment, 'Oh, fresh from the freezer!' Ha, ha.

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
catlady said:
Because they think the bread is leftover from breakfast? Yes, it thaws very quickly. I unfortunately got a little behind the other day and put out frozen peanut butter cookies thinking they would defrost before the guests saw them. Nope. Got a sarcastic comment, 'Oh, fresh from the freezer!' Ha, ha.
OOOPs... But if they didn't have it for breakfast..it isn't a leftover.
If I served banana bread or zuchhini bread for breakfast..I wouldn't serve it again on the same day.

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
catlady said:
If I served banana bread or zuchhini bread for breakfast..I wouldn't serve it again on the same day.
catlady said:
Incoming guests don't know what was for that morning's breakfast. So I'm thinking that's why it sits there. They may realize when they have THEIR breakfast that there aren't any tea breads (I almost said 'sweet breads') on offer and wish they had tried the banana or squash bread the day before!

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
catlady said:
catlady said:
Incoming guests don't know what was for that morning's breakfast. So I'm thinking that's why it sits there. They may realize when they have THEIR breakfast that there aren't any tea breads (I almost said 'sweet breads') on offer and wish they had tried the banana or squash bread the day before!
Have you tried making them as muffins? I could imagine someone being a bit wary of a big loaf of something, especially if they didn't know what it was, how long it's been there, who held the loaf with their bare hand while cutting it... Muffins, perhaps because of their portability and what some consider one-bite consumption, have a strange way of disappearing in my kitchen.
And do you put a sign out saying what it is? Could see squash bread being a bit confusing. Other than that... no clue. I love free food.

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
catlady said:
catlady said:
Have you tried making them as muffins? I could imagine someone being a bit wary of a big loaf of something, especially if they didn't know what it was, how long it's been there, who held the loaf with their bare hand while cutting it... Muffins, perhaps because of their portability and what some consider one-bite consumption, have a strange way of disappearing in my kitchen.
And do you put a sign out saying what it is? Could see squash bread being a bit confusing. Other than that... no clue. I love free food.
I do post a little sign explaining what the snacks are if it isn't obvious. Also, if there is something in them a person could be allergic to or I've taken something out they might be allergic to. (The gluten-free p-nut butter cookies as an example.)
The loaves are too easy. But I see what you mean by 'who else has touched that sliced bread?'

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
catlady said:
catlady said:
I always made my quick breads in the little individual mini loaf pans...that way one per person.

Back