Bread Pudding ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Anyone care to share their secret for bread pudding that isn't as heavy as a brick? I tried Paula D's recipe yesterday. Added in some chunks of apple...don't know if that is what did it or not??? It tasted fine...a little too sweet for our taste..but soooooo heavy. My bread wasn't stale...do you think that could be the reason?
Thanks

I haven't made this recipe in years, but I don't remember it being really heavy. How does this compare with your recipe?
BREAKFAST BREAD PUDDING
Butter, for greasing the pan
1 Loaf any type of day old bread
1 ½ Cups dried or fresh fruit (raisins, apricots, cherries, cranberries)
½ Cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecans (optional)
1 ½ Cup Sugar
6 Large Eggs
1 tsp Cinnamon
5 Cups Milk or Half & Half
2 Tbl Vanilla
Butter the bottom and sides of a 13x9 baking dish & cover bottom with cubes of bread. Sprinkle the top with fruit. Top with nuts, if desired. In a medium bowl, combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, milk & vanilla; whisk to blend. Pour over the casserole & press down so all the bread is covered. Cover & refrigerate overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover pan with foil and bake covered 45 minutes. Uncover & allow to brown for a few minutes. Cut & serve with maple syrup. Serves 8

I have never found the recipe I posted here "Bread Pudding" to be particularly heavy. You can use any kind of fruit in it. I usually use either blueberries or chopped peaches. If you think a bread pudding recipe is "heavy" add a bit more milk.

I use a parisienne baguette or ciabatta loaf for the bread. Very coarse crumb with air holes throughout. I find it makes for a lighter texture than a dense, fine-crumbed bread.
Also, I use half milk and half 10% cream in the batter. Crusts cut off the bread, and I do make sure the bread dries out by airing the slices in the oven (with just the pilot light for heat). Hope that helps!

I use a parisienne baguette or ciabatta loaf for the bread. Very coarse crumb with air holes throughout. I find it makes for a lighter texture than a dense, fine-crumbed bread.
Also, I use half milk and half 10% cream in the batter. Crusts cut off the bread, and I do make sure the bread dries out by airing the slices in the oven (with just the pilot light for heat). Hope that helps!.
All of these recipes are very similar to the one I used. I think it has to do with the bread being fresh . THanks!

We make ours out of leftover/older pastries and cinnamon rolls that we put out for continental breakfasts. This way, you don't have to do much to it to make it taste good - the ingredients are already delicious! We did have an issue with ours being to goopy, so it was more difficult to cut like a coffee cake like it should, but we figured out the right balance with a bit of trial and error. We ended up baking it a little bit longer, taking the foil off the top for the last minutes of baking. If yours is too heavy, you may be using too much or not the right kind of bread for it.

Check my blog...I use day old Italian bread (or however old...not soft but also not hockey puck consistency!)

Back