Breakfast - anything different?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Are there any inns out there who do something totally different to the norm for breakfast? Is there a meat or specialty item you use that the you won't find on a typical restaurant breakfast menu?
Does anyone serve bagels and lox? Or offer it?
Does anyone have a regional food that they offer or serve once in a while on request? Puget Sound Dungeness Crab quiche, PA scrapple, etc.
Just thought I would ask, since I can't visit all of you, I enjoy hearing about your inns.

We tried 'local' foods (lobster) and were told it's too strong for breakfast. Guests appreciated the freshness, but not the smell or taste that early in the morning. We also did local shrimp (in season right now) but, again, too strong for breakfast. Even those these shrimp are true to their name! Shrimpy! Wee, tiny little things.
So, we're back to the standards now.

We tried 'local' foods (lobster) and were told it's too strong for breakfast. Guests appreciated the freshness, but not the smell or taste that early in the morning. We also did local shrimp (in season right now) but, again, too strong for breakfast. Even those these shrimp are true to their name! Shrimpy! Wee, tiny little things.
So, we're back to the standards now..
But is there anything YOU DO SERVE that is not the norm breakfast? I would like to hear of things that work for you.

NO ONE would eat what DH serves himself every morning! It works for him with his cholesterol & sugar problems. Grab the barf bag folks - cauliflower, broccoli & oatmeal. He adds cup of skim milk & Splenda to this mix.

We offer locally-made (by the volunteer fire department) apple butter for toast and muffins instead of jam and jelly. Most people have not had it before.

So, we're back to the standards now..
But is there anything YOU DO SERVE that is not the norm breakfast? I would like to hear of things that work for you.
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope. It's plain old diner food here.

I always keep my eye out for something new and different ... however, whenever I have offered anything "not traditional" (for instance, I thought Chicken & Dumplings would make a wonderful chilly morning breakfast) it's always been a no-go. And easily 75% of our guests (usually the husband) have made a point of expressing relief and/or gratitude that I have offered "simple, basic" choices (ie scrambled eggs, bacon, grapefruit half, etc) in addition to a more gourmet-ish dish (like my Baked Croissant French Toast with Lemon Curd and warm Blueberry (or Strawberry) Sauce or my Pumpkin Streussel Pancakes with Sauteed Ginger Apples).
We are located in Annapolis, MD so from June through September, on Saturdays, I offer our 30 Maryland Crab Omelet...(it used to be Crab and Asparagus, but easily 90% of our guest either requested that I leave out the asparagus or they picked it out themselves, so now I only occasionally offer as an option if I have some on hand)... >>It's JUMBO LUMP crab meat, colby-jack shredded cheese, and a dash of Old Bay seasoning in a 3-egg omelet. If I add in asparagus, just the tips taste best!

I always keep my eye out for something new and different ... however, whenever I have offered anything "not traditional" (for instance, I thought Chicken & Dumplings would make a wonderful chilly morning breakfast) it's always been a no-go. And easily 75% of our guests (usually the husband) have made a point of expressing relief and/or gratitude that I have offered "simple, basic" choices (ie scrambled eggs, bacon, grapefruit half, etc) in addition to a more gourmet-ish dish (like my Baked Croissant French Toast with Lemon Curd and warm Blueberry (or Strawberry) Sauce or my Pumpkin Streussel Pancakes with Sauteed Ginger Apples).
We are located in Annapolis, MD so from June through September, on Saturdays, I offer our 30 Maryland Crab Omelet...(it used to be Crab and Asparagus, but easily 90% of our guest either requested that I leave out the asparagus or they picked it out themselves, so now I only occasionally offer as an option if I have some on hand)... >>It's JUMBO LUMP crab meat, colby-jack shredded cheese, and a dash of Old Bay seasoning in a 3-egg omelet. If I add in asparagus, just the tips taste best!.
I understand the basic breakfast concept and that people want the norm so not really wanting to emphasize or discuss what you don't do or what guests prefer, we know this. I am wondering if there is anything you do that is different and works. Example, I just saw
French Quarter Beignets[/h1]
If you offer a Specialty, or a choice of basic AND specialty breakfast. Thanks. Specialty or regional doesn't need to be outlandish to be good.
I just thought there may be some interesting offerings out there.

We are located in Annapolis, MD so from June through September, on Saturdays, I offer our 30 Maryland Crab Omelet...(it used to be Crab and Asparagus, but easily 90% of our guest either requested that I leave out the asparagus or they picked it out themselves, so now I only occasionally offer as an option if I have some on hand)... >>It's JUMBO LUMP crab meat, colby-jack shredded cheese, and a dash of Old Bay seasoning in a 3-egg omelet. If I add in asparagus, just the tips taste best!.
I understand the basic breakfast concept and that people want the norm so not really wanting to emphasize or discuss what you don't do or what guests prefer, we know this. I am wondering if there is anything you do that is different and works. Example, I just saw
French Quarter Beignets[/h1]
If you offer a Specialty, or a choice of basic AND specialty breakfast. Thanks. Specialty or regional doesn't need to be outlandish to be good.
I just thought there may be some interesting offerings out there.
We used to do Fried Green Tomatoes here, and of course grits (usually cheesy grits).
regular_smile.gif
Also, sometimes sausage gravy or red-eye gravy with biscuits. Biscuits were often a staple with savory breakfasts here. We're in the South and people expected them.

I have been trying something very NEW and different. Just a trial... to see how it goes down... Maple Bacon Macaron.
To be honest, Macaron is probably the hardest thing I have ever tried to make. But I saw this great recipe for the ganache that used both maple syrup and bacon and I thought... that's something I want to try and we can put them up like muffins. MoH thought that I was nuts and that people wouldn't like them. So far it's almost all thumbs up, though the quantity of bacon has to change... I think I put a little too much.

We serve linguisa and sometimes chourico as a side to highlight the Portuguese population that historically were a big part of this seaside fishing community. If eeryone at the table eats meat we sometimes incorporate the sausage into a frittata or omlet.

How about serving a Hangtown Fry? Easy to make and very different. Prepare 3 eggs scrambled in an omlet pan and just before you are ready to fold shuck 6 oysters onto the eggs, fold and serve. The eggs a warm and the oysters are still cool (and raw of course). A great meal with a side of grits, crispy bacon or scrapple and whole jelled cranberries.

How about serving a Hangtown Fry? Easy to make and very different. Prepare 3 eggs scrambled in an omlet pan and just before you are ready to fold shuck 6 oysters onto the eggs, fold and serve. The eggs a warm and the oysters are still cool (and raw of course). A great meal with a side of grits, crispy bacon or scrapple and whole jelled cranberries..
Leonardo how do your guests react to scrapple? I have always wondered. I see it for sale here, but have never tried it.

How about serving a Hangtown Fry? Easy to make and very different. Prepare 3 eggs scrambled in an omlet pan and just before you are ready to fold shuck 6 oysters onto the eggs, fold and serve. The eggs a warm and the oysters are still cool (and raw of course). A great meal with a side of grits, crispy bacon or scrapple and whole jelled cranberries..
Leonardo how do your guests react to scrapple? I have always wondered. I see it for sale here, but have never tried it.
Scrapple depends on who made it and where it's made. Pon Haus (scrapple) that I like to use is made in Lancaster, PA by an Amish company. I fry mine in a pan with butter and put a small amount of grape jelly on top when serving. That is a Maryland tradition. It's better to make a plate with small pieces for people to try before they take on a large piece. Remember it is pork and some folks do not eat pork, so let them know right up front. I put Scrapple in the same category as, Kishka or Haggus. I really like it.......and I just made myself hungry so I think I'll go fry some up for lunch.

Scrapple depends on who made it and where it's made. Pon Haus (scrapple) that I like to use is made in Lancaster, PA by an Amish company. I fry mine in a pan with butter and put a small amount of grape jelly on top when serving. That is a Maryland tradition. It's better to make a plate with small pieces for people to try before they take on a large piece. Remember it is pork and some folks do not eat pork, so let them know right up front. I put Scrapple in the same category as, Kishka or Haggus. I really like it.......and I just made myself hungry so I think I'll go fry some up for lunch.
OMG...I would starve. I saw them making "headcheese" on Diners Drive Ins & Dives the other night...UGH...no way for me. I am not a person who likes to try anything...that is my husband.

OMG...I would starve. I saw them making "headcheese" on Diners Drive Ins & Dives the other night...UGH...no way for me. I am not a person who likes to try anything...that is my husband.
DH will try anything, too. Not me. He bought me chocolate coconut milk yesterday and I approached it like it was alive and dangerous. (Tastes just like the chocolate soy milk.)

I have been trying something very NEW and different. Just a trial... to see how it goes down... Maple Bacon Macaron.
To be honest, Macaron is probably the hardest thing I have ever tried to make. But I saw this great recipe for the ganache that used both maple syrup and bacon and I thought... that's something I want to try and we can put them up like muffins. MoH thought that I was nuts and that people wouldn't like them. So far it's almost all thumbs up, though the quantity of bacon has to change... I think I put a little too much..
We have a famous donut place in our metro city. They're shown on a lot of tv shows. One of their most popular is the maple bacon bar. It's a great combo!

We serve linguisa and sometimes chourico as a side to highlight the Portuguese population that historically were a big part of this seaside fishing community. If eeryone at the table eats meat we sometimes incorporate the sausage into a frittata or omlet..
I LOVE linguisa. If I ate it at your place it would bring back wonderful childhood memories for me. We used to eat linguisa, a fried egg and fried banana for breakfast several times a year. My maternal side of the family is Portugese.
Unfortunately, I can't get any quality linguisa where I live.
cry_smile.gif

DH will try anything, too. Not me. He bought me chocolate coconut milk yesterday and I approached it like it was alive and dangerous. (Tastes just like the chocolate soy milk.)
Yesterday I made my baked oatmeal with soy milk and gave the lactose-free guest coconut milk for her creamer. When I made the GF Pumpkin Muffins, I decided to leave out the nuts. Turns out that was a good thing - he forgot to tell me he cannot have nuts (in addition to no eggs and GF). Gota love 'em that they tell you what they cannot have as you are serving!

Back