Breakfast at 8am

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April

Reaction score
Couple arrived yesterday
me: "what time would you like your breakfast tomorrow mornig?"
them: "8am"
It is now 8:42am and I am still waiting-but well I have nothing else to do but wait!

It's 9AM and everyone's gone. The world is quiet and I am alone. (Only one guest tonight, this time next week, I'm full... sometimes I just don't understand!)

I have tried this many times but asking people what time for breakfast only works for me when it is a business guest, they are prompt because they have somewhere to be!!! For everyone else I tell them: I serve breakfast between _______ come down anytime during that time frame. If they don't show, I clear unless DH fussesand says give them a little more time. Grrrr.

Yes, for some reason when we let them pick the time they somehow think it's flexible. So now we say "We've been serving breakfast at 8:30, will that work for you?" Most times they agree and usually show up on time.

I will wait till 9:30 and than clear the table.
April said:
I will wait till 9:30 and than clear the table
930!!! CLEAR IT OFF NOW. An hour late is bad enough, don't go PAST your breakfast time normally.
Remember if they have a cell phone that works in yoru area, CALL IT. Say somethintg like "Wanted to make sure you are okay since you didn't come down at 8am like you required"

We usually serve between 8 and 10. With 8 seats and a max occupancy of 14, we need time for them to come and clear. When we get above 10 we usually like to ask if they want the 8:30ish or the 9:30ish and it usually works out. Business people, professors and conventioneers usually ask me for a specific time, sometimes before 8AM and we do our best.
Last service is at 10 AM. If you show up later, you can have what's left on the table.... if anything is left.

Yes, for some reason when we let them pick the time they somehow think it's flexible. So now we say "We've been serving breakfast at 8:30, will that work for you?" Most times they agree and usually show up on time..
Don Draper said:
Yes, for some reason when we let them pick the time they somehow think it's flexible. So now we say "We've been serving breakfast at 8:30, will that work for you?" Most times they agree and usually show up on time.
HEAR HEAR! If you let them pick it they are more likely to no show or be very late. When they say "8 or 830" be firm and mention "If you say 8am THE FOOD WILL BE READY AT 8!"
I have been serving breakfast at 7:20am every day this week. Meaning up much earlier to make it. I would be furious if they were late or no showed after asking for an earlier time.

thay did show up at 9am! -just 1 hour late. I hope that is not what to come with them for next 5 days.
When I ask guests I say "we serve the breakfast at 8, 8:30 or 9am. What time is good for you?" and thay commit to a specific time. Most show up on time.

We don't have this problem very often but I have decided that I am going to tell them
Breakfast is at 8:30
At 9:30 the entree is no longer servable but the continental portion (fruit and muffin) will be available for late risers as is the coffee holding in the hot pots.
That way if they decide last minute to sleep in they can have something and I can go on and prep for my wine tours.
RIki

thay did show up at 9am! -just 1 hour late. I hope that is not what to come with them for next 5 days.
When I ask guests I say "we serve the breakfast at 8, 8:30 or 9am. What time is good for you?" and thay commit to a specific time. Most show up on time..
I had an OMG - I really messed up moment last weekend.
Really super guests here for a not so super reason (funeral). They chose an early breakfast and I woke up in the middle of the night realizing I hadn't put their clocks forward. Didn't sleep a wink the rest of the night. No excuse, just "DOH - I am such an idiot - now what do it do". I realized the only thing I could do was suck it up, admit my mistake and give them a "wake up call".
All ended well, but I was lucky they were such great people.

I have tried this many times but asking people what time for breakfast only works for me when it is a business guest, they are prompt because they have somewhere to be!!! For everyone else I tell them: I serve breakfast between _______ come down anytime during that time frame. If they don't show, I clear unless DH fussesand says give them a little more time. Grrrr..
copperhead said:
I have tried this many times but asking people what time for breakfast only works for me when it is a business guest, they are prompt because they have somewhere to be!!! For everyone else I tell them: I serve breakfast between _______ come down anytime during that time frame. If they don't show, I clear unless DH fussesand says give them a little more time. Grrrr.
If it's only one room, we'll ask. Otherwise, show up between 8-9:30. At 9:30 we're done.

We don't have this problem very often but I have decided that I am going to tell them
At 9:30 the entree is no longer servable but the continental portion (fruit and muffin) will be available for late risers as is the coffee holding in the hot pots.
That way if they decide last minute to sleep in they can have something and I can go on and prep for my wine tours.
RIki.
egoodell said:
Ah, this is what I do but your wording is much nicer, Riki. I'll have to take a lesson from you.
I no longer ask. I tell them what time I serve breakfast. If we have someone here for work (not often, but it happens), I will ask if they prefer an earlier breakfast. If they specifically request an early breakfast, I will accommodate them (also not often). I will say, we only seem to attract early birds.

When I ask guests I say "we serve the breakfast at 8, 8:30 or 9am. What time is good for you?" and thay commit to a specific time. Most show up on time..
Really super guests here for a not so super reason (funeral). They chose an early breakfast and I woke up in the middle of the night realizing I hadn't put their clocks forward. Didn't sleep a wink the rest of the night. No excuse, just "DOH - I am such an idiot - now what do it do". I realized the only thing I could do was suck it up, admit my mistake and give them a "wake up call".
Sony alarm clocks. You set the date, they do the rest. Battery backup for those guests who can't figure out that they can put it on it's end instead of unplug it. Twice a year it adjusts automatically... just tell the guests not to touch it.

How about split couples? They'll pick a time but (usually) husband down early for coffee, hungry, tells me wife wants to sleep in, not so sure what/if she wants breakfast (diet pepsi, maybe ;) ). Rare, but happens. Not much of a problem as the late-comer doesn't expect the full treatment.

Sony alarm clocks. You set the date, they do the rest. Battery backup for those guests who can't figure out that they can put it on it's end instead of unplug it. Twice a year it adjusts automatically... just tell the guests not to touch it.
I have the equivalent .... but not in that room. Total oversight. My fault.

I used to wait. Now when they are not there within 10 minutes I knock and check .... it saves me a lot of sitting around and waiting, and gives me an ETA IF and when they actually will show up

How about split couples? They'll pick a time but (usually) husband down early for coffee, hungry, tells me wife wants to sleep in, not so sure what/if she wants breakfast (diet pepsi, maybe ;) ). Rare, but happens. Not much of a problem as the late-comer doesn't expect the full treatment..
Tom said:
How about split couples? They'll pick a time but (usually) husband down early for coffee, hungry, tells me wife wants to sleep in, not so sure what/if she wants breakfast (diet pepsi, maybe ;) ). Rare, but happens. Not much of a problem as the late-comer doesn't expect the full treatment.
This happens a lot. Worst is when we're really busy and the early bird snags a table and parks there for 2 hours. If I ask if the spouse is joining them I get, 'Oh, yes s/he'll be right down.' And they never show. At 9:25 I will say, 'Breakfast is over, would you like to eat before the kitchen closes?' And they make a mad dash to the room to get the spouse.
That probably annoys me more than anything. Someone who holds us hostage with 'they'll be right down' and the person takes another hour. Well, like I said, 9:30 the kitchen closes.

I used to wait. Now when they are not there within 10 minutes I knock and check .... it saves me a lot of sitting around and waiting, and gives me an ETA IF and when they actually will show up.
Wish I could - house rule is no bothering guests if the door is closed, period.

Back