Breakfast at 8am

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of guests and to-go coffees
This just in:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Starbucks' New One-Cup Coffee Makers To Be Placed in Hotel Rooms Next Year[/h2]click here
[/COLOR]

Interesting morning. Guests had a taxi arriving at 8:30 so requested an 8 AM breakfast. Arrived for breakfast at 8:15. Knew what was on the menu. One of them did not want that. (Not couldn't eat it, didn't want it.) Other guest starts running down a list of options. 'How about eggs? How about toast? How about a muffin?'
I have to stop him and explain there are 2 items available: what we told them we were serving or cereal.
By this time it is too late and they have to leave, their taxi is honking outside..
Good for you for sticking! I am so non-confrontational that I usually cave and give them toast or whatever. PITA's.
Me too; easier to fire up a muffin, a glass of juice, coffee and let them rush off. We even bought nice non-plastic to-go hot cups after several guests wanted another cup for the road.
As a coffee hound, coffee to go, warms my heart. Not in plastic? Better yet, I hate drinking out of plastic. What kind of to go cups to you have? Are they very expensive? Do you have them with your logo on them? What a great idea!
white pine said:
As a coffee hound, coffee to go, warms my heart. Not in plastic? Better yet, I hate drinking out of plastic. What kind of to go cups to you have? Are they very expensive? Do you have them with your logo on them? What a great idea!
They sell them insulated with lids at stuffmart and just about every grocery store, usually near the paper plates or bbq section with charcoal etc (whcih is always hardest to find in a grocery store!) Don't waste money on logo's, unless they are ceramic cups.
I have been cleaning out these deep corner cupboards with lazy susan and about 6" area to reach in and out and twist your back out and go into traction, that are now a catch-all. Man o war the crap in there I held onto just in case I needed it (this is annually.) I really do a sort out once a year, but when the season gets busy it fills up again, get it off the counter, so shove it in there. So now it is sorted, once again, til this time next year!
Things I never use that I had in there:
  • Water carafes (Thought I would place on table, but don't)
  • Ice buckets (have 4 diff models, use the same one and two all the time, but need to keep them just in case someone needs one beyond #1 and #2)
  • LG Plastic Cups (like camping ones, can't give away, never use)
  • addtl ice cube trays in misc shapes (stuffed them back in)
  • milk shake maker (reminded me that we need to use that some more, forgot about it)
  • Decaf coffee maker (rarely used, so cleaned and put back)
  • this that and the other (put it back in just in case) and I don't take just in cases lightly, if I don't use it then it goes bye bye - but in this biz there are plenty of "just in cases"
  • Vietnamese coffee makers (per cup size) will use, can't toss, prefect for one cups while camping
Guess my mind went to cheap ceramic mugs with logo to go. Too pricey I'm sure. Also, not good for travel if I am driving. For disposable to go, logo would be silly. Ah well.
Hate those corner cabinets, truly the land of the lost down there. Just finished my kitchen cleaning frenzy. Amazing how many pans I don't use but want to keep. Seems I always use my few favorites, but back they all go just in case.

Interesting morning. Guests had a taxi arriving at 8:30 so requested an 8 AM breakfast. Arrived for breakfast at 8:15. Knew what was on the menu. One of them did not want that. (Not couldn't eat it, didn't want it.) Other guest starts running down a list of options. 'How about eggs? How about toast? How about a muffin?'
I have to stop him and explain there are 2 items available: what we told them we were serving or cereal.
By this time it is too late and they have to leave, their taxi is honking outside..
Good for you for sticking! I am so non-confrontational that I usually cave and give them toast or whatever. PITA's.
Me too; easier to fire up a muffin, a glass of juice, coffee and let them rush off. We even bought nice non-plastic to-go hot cups after several guests wanted another cup for the road.
white pine said:
They sell them insulated with lids at stuffmart and just about every grocery store, usually near the paper plates or bbq section with charcoal etc (whcih is always hardest to find in a grocery store!) Don't waste money on logo's, unless they are ceramic cups.
I have been cleaning out these deep corner cupboards with lazy susan and about 6" area to reach in and out and twist your back out and go into traction, that are now a catch-all. Man o war the crap in there I held onto just in case I needed it (this is annually.) I really do a sort out once a year, but when the season gets busy it fills up again, get it off the counter, so shove it in there. So now it is sorted, once again, til this time next year!
  • Ice buckets (have 4 diff models, use the same one and two all the time, but need to keep them just in case someone needs one beyond #1 and #2)
  • milk shake maker (reminded me that we need to use that some more, forgot about it)
  • this that and the other (put it back in just in case) and I don't take just in cases lightly, if I don't use it then it goes bye bye - but in this biz there are plenty of "just in cases"
  • Vietnamese coffee makers (per cup size) will use, can't toss, prefect for one cups while camping
Guess my mind went to cheap ceramic mugs with logo to go. Too pricey I'm sure. Also, not good for travel if I am driving. For disposable to go, logo would be silly. Ah well.
Hate those corner cabinets, truly the land of the lost down there. Just finished my kitchen cleaning frenzy. Amazing how many pans I don't use but want to keep. Seems I always use my few favorites, but back they all go just in case.
white pine said:
I actually think giving away ceramic mugs is a TERRIFIC idea. Beats disposable, but not cup-holder-friendly.
Finished cleaning out three levels of medicine cabinet too, oi veigh, what the heck, you buy something for a one time use and then it just goes out of date. The amount of one offs in there was incredible. A reminder of how much $ we waste and don't follow through on much of it...ie my B-12 drops once a day under the tongue, had two bottles left...bad innkeeper bad!

I just had one of those one cup starbucks coffee makers at a hotel I stayed at recently. personally I prefer the 4 cup coffee makers that you can buy anywhere, and the coffee costs for the 4-cup premeasured cups are much cheaper (not to mention the cost of the machines)

white pine said:
white pine said:
I actually think giving away ceramic mugs is a TERRIFIC idea. Beats disposable, but not cup-holder-friendly.
Finished cleaning out three levels of medicine cabinet too, oi veigh, what the heck, you buy something for a one time use and then it just goes out of date. The amount of one offs in there was incredible. A reminder of how much $ we waste and don't follow through on much of it...ie my B-12 drops once a day under the tongue, had two bottles left...bad innkeeper bad!
Actually, been checking on prices, looks like for $3.00-$4.00 per gross, for the basic 11 oz mug w/ logo. Cheaper than newspaper ads.
Wow, just found a site works out 1.89 ea for a gross w/ logo including shipping!
We ran out of toothpaste this weekend, DH found a tube in an unused drawer....exp. date. 2001!

This just in:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Starbucks' New One-Cup Coffee Makers To Be Placed in Hotel Rooms Next Year[/h2]click here
[/COLOR].
Starbucks may be okay in the US, but around here... they turn up their noses at it. If they wanted just a "cup of coffee" they are going to walk into Tim Horton's and pay less. Starbucks had to put up big signs in the windows to get people to come in... the signs (in French) said:
Strong Coffee Now Available
Around here, the coffee has to be strong and dark (French) roast.
And Starbucks just entered an agreement to produce Keurig K-Cups. http://goo.gl/3eNcq That's why they stopped making T-Cups for Tassimo.

white pine said:
white pine said:
Ceramic mugs with logos can be rather inexpensive if the guest keeps the mug and calls again! I bet there is some sort of top that could be put on them for travel. For the number of guests who want coffee to go here (highly limited) it might behoove me to check on those covers. Thanks for the idea!

white pine said:
white pine said:
Some of the ceramic mugs are tapered at the bottom. It's still a great idea if you get those.

white pine said:
white pine said:
Some of the ceramic mugs are tapered at the bottom. It's still a great idea if you get those.
Alibi Ike said:
I have a couple like that. I never even think of taking them in the car though, but I think this is a grand idea!
Anyone care to share links on the BEST place to buy them from their experience. I know we talked about this a long time ago, it is all a blur now.

white pine said:
white pine said:
Alibi Ike said:
I have a couple like that. I never even think of taking them in the car though, but I think this is a grand idea!
Anyone care to share links on the BEST place to buy them from their experience. I know we talked about this a long time ago, it is all a blur now.
Wherever you get your mugs (other than Deneen) you should be sure you get a sample before you order. (I said Deneen because their reputation is excellent.) And if you reorder, get a second sample.
Not to say you wouldn't want to preview your Deneen mug, but I think with them you get what you order and not what the distributor had on hand that they wanted to get rid of!

white pine said:
white pine said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wherever you get your mugs (other than Deneen) you should be sure you get a sample before you order. (I said Deneen because their reputation is excellent.) And if you reorder, get a second sample.
Not to say you wouldn't want to preview your Deneen mug, but I think with them you get what you order and not what the distributor had on hand that they wanted to get rid of!
Alibi Ike said:
Give away Deneen mugs? uh not likely. I was talking Gross like mentioned, logo ceramic hand them out...

white pine said:
white pine said:
Alibi Ike said:
Alibi Ike said:
Give away Deneen mugs? uh not likely. I was talking Gross like mentioned, logo ceramic hand them out...
No, I just wanted to say that up front before someone ranted about how some places are really good sources. You know how we are...
Cheap by the gross mugs you definitely want to see what you're getting before you get them. Shipping is a killer and if you don't like them you won't get a refund on the shipping part.

white pine said:
white pine said:
Ceramic mugs with logos can be rather inexpensive if the guest keeps the mug and calls again! I bet there is some sort of top that could be put on them for travel. For the number of guests who want coffee to go here (highly limited) it might behoove me to check on those covers. Thanks for the idea!
Looking at websites, I was struck by one who said that you would be treated with warmth and hospitality from the time you picked up your key until you got your last cup of coffee to go. I liked that. Nice touch, leave with a "good taste in your mouth" Coffee to go, I may just have to do some more checking on mug lids....

This just in:
[/COLOR].
Starbucks may be okay in the US, but around here... they turn up their noses at it. If they wanted just a "cup of coffee" they are going to walk into Tim Horton's and pay less. Starbucks had to put up big signs in the windows to get people to come in... the signs (in French) said:
Strong Coffee Now Available
Around here, the coffee has to be strong and dark (French) roast.
And Starbucks just entered an agreement to produce Keurig K-Cups. http://goo.gl/3eNcq That's why they stopped making T-Cups for Tassimo.
GBManor said:
If they wanted just a "cup of coffee" they are going to walk into Tim Horton's and pay less.
One of our favorite sets of guests from Ontario brings us 3 canisters of Tim Horton's when they come...it is YUM!!!!!!!!!

white pine said:
white pine said:
Alibi Ike said:
I would be careful with some of the cheap ceramic mugs with logos. I stayed at a B& B and they gave me one of those to take home as a gift. On the bottom it had a sticker saying the glaze contained lead and it was made in china. I never used it because of that sticker and ended up giving to good will.

white pine said:
white pine said:
Alibi Ike said:
I would be careful with some of the cheap ceramic mugs with logos. I stayed at a B& B and they gave me one of those to take home as a gift. On the bottom it had a sticker saying the glaze contained lead and it was made in china. I never used it because of that sticker and ended up giving to good will.
Yes, I was aware of this. Also, I know this is an issue with children's tea sets make overseas. Get the ones made in Germany if you want to give a child a tea set, the cheap ones have lead.

I have no idea what overcame me. Guests checked in and they being the only room tonight I pointed at the Breakfast at 9am sign and said or you can choose any time you like...
I stood waiting, then said "Would you like 9am or earlier or later?"
"We'll let you know"
WHY DO I DO THIS!
WILL I NEVER LEARN?
"Would you like 9am or 830?" "We'll let you know."
poke.gif

You won't let me know. Why do I give people the option, usually I try to jump in IF they have not decided right then. So when is breakfast tomorrow? Will they let me know at what, 10pm when I am asleep?
See, we never listen do we! I am serving at 9am if I hear nothing else before then.

Some of you are a lot nicer then me! It is "Be seated between 8:30 and 9:00. If we don't see you by 9am, we'll bring a tray to your room." No ifs ands or buts about it. I have had guests ask for earlier because they are leaving early (usually white water rafting, where they have to leave at 7:30) I tell them the only thing I can offer is coffee, muffin and fruit to go. Never had any problems with this arragement. Is bringing breakfast to them a hassle? A bit, but it would be more of a hassle to sit and wait on them.

I have no idea what overcame me. Guests checked in and they being the only room tonight I pointed at the Breakfast at 9am sign and said or you can choose any time you like...
"We'll let you know"
WHY DO I DO THIS!
WILL I NEVER LEARN?
poke.gif

You won't let me know. Why do I give people the option, usually I try to jump in IF they have not decided right then. So when is breakfast tomorrow? Will they let me know at what, 10pm when I am asleep?
See, we never listen do we! I am serving at 9am if I hear nothing else before then..
And why is it that we never say, 'You'll let me know now, or I'll serve breakfast when I feel like it!'?
I hate the hemming and hawing over what time for breakfast. But, if it's one room onl I want to know when I need to be ready. Do I HAVE to get up at 7 or can I sleep in? Will I be twiddling my thumbs until I finally close the kitchen down at 9:30?
Let's brainstorm here- HOW can we ask the question such that we get an answer WE can work with?

"We'll let you know"
WHY DO I DO THIS!
WILL I NEVER LEARN?
poke.gif

See, we never listen do we! I am serving at 9am if I hear nothing else before then..
And why is it that we never say, 'You'll let me know now, or I'll serve breakfast when I feel like it!'?
I hate the hemming and hawing over what time for breakfast. But, if it's one room onl I want to know when I need to be ready. Do I HAVE to get up at 7 or can I sleep in? Will I be twiddling my thumbs until I finally close the kitchen down at 9:30?
Let's brainstorm here- HOW can we ask the question such that we get an answer WE can work with?
Should we put the guest on the spot?
I usually say, 'I'll need to know so I can tell the cook when to start.' That tends to make it sound like someone is coming in to work. But, sometimes even that doesn't elicit anything other than, 'We'll let you know.'
How about, 'Please leave a note right here and I will see it at 8 AM when I come in to set the table. If there is no note I will assume you are not eating.'

Back