Breakfast at 8am

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you are a lot nicer then me! It is "Be seated between 8:30 and 9:00. If we don't see you by 9am, we'll bring a tray to your room." No ifs ands or buts about it. I have had guests ask for earlier because they are leaving early (usually white water rafting, where they have to leave at 7:30) I tell them the only thing I can offer is coffee, muffin and fruit to go. Never had any problems with this arragement. Is bringing breakfast to them a hassle? A bit, but it would be more of a hassle to sit and wait on them..
LoveMyCareer said:
Some of you are a lot nicer then me! It is "Be seated between 8:30 and 9:00. If we don't see you by 9am, we'll bring a tray to your room." No ifs ands or buts about it.
I have to say that this sounds like insanity to me. If I said that I would be serving meals in bed every day. NO ONE would get up if they knew they could stay in bed and have breakfast delivered to their door.

I have no idea what overcame me. Guests checked in and they being the only room tonight I pointed at the Breakfast at 9am sign and said or you can choose any time you like...
I stood waiting, then said "Would you like 9am or earlier or later?"
"We'll let you know"
WHY DO I DO THIS!
WILL I NEVER LEARN?
"Would you like 9am or 830?" "We'll let you know."
poke.gif

You won't let me know. Why do I give people the option, usually I try to jump in IF they have not decided right then. So when is breakfast tomorrow? Will they let me know at what, 10pm when I am asleep?
See, we never listen do we! I am serving at 9am if I hear nothing else before then..
And why is it that we never say, 'You'll let me know now, or I'll serve breakfast when I feel like it!'?
I hate the hemming and hawing over what time for breakfast. But, if it's one room onl I want to know when I need to be ready. Do I HAVE to get up at 7 or can I sleep in? Will I be twiddling my thumbs until I finally close the kitchen down at 9:30?
Let's brainstorm here- HOW can we ask the question such that we get an answer WE can work with?
Alibi Ike said:
Let's brainstorm here- HOW can we ask the question such that we get an answer WE can work with?
The obvious is to offer no choice. Second would be give them an either or an or, to choose from. ie You can have 9am or 830am? Tell me now which one so I can plan for it.
It is a dichotomy.

Some of you are a lot nicer then me! It is "Be seated between 8:30 and 9:00. If we don't see you by 9am, we'll bring a tray to your room." No ifs ands or buts about it. I have had guests ask for earlier because they are leaving early (usually white water rafting, where they have to leave at 7:30) I tell them the only thing I can offer is coffee, muffin and fruit to go. Never had any problems with this arragement. Is bringing breakfast to them a hassle? A bit, but it would be more of a hassle to sit and wait on them..
LoveMyCareer said:
Some of you are a lot nicer then me! It is "Be seated between 8:30 and 9:00. If we don't see you by 9am, we'll bring a tray to your room." No ifs ands or buts about it.
I have to say that this sounds like insanity to me. If I said that I would be serving meals in bed every day. NO ONE would get up if they knew they could stay in bed and have breakfast delivered to their door.
Alibi Ike said:
LoveMyCareer said:
I serve a breakfast in bed maybe three times a month. Our view entices them out of bed most mornings
teeth_smile.gif
Like I said, its a better hassle for me to bring them their breakfast then it is to wait on them. With twelve seats that turn over, I can't wait on people.

LoveMyCareer said:
Alibi Ike said:
LoveMyCareer said:
I serve a breakfast in bed maybe three times a month. Our view entices them out of bed most mornings
teeth_smile.gif
Like I said, its a better hassle for me to bring them their breakfast then it is to wait on them. With twelve seats that turn over, I can't wait on people.
LoveMyCareer said:
Alibi Ike said:
LoveMyCareer said:
teeth_smile.gif
So, if breakfast is over at 9 AM, it's over. If they don't show, they don't eat. I guess it's a nice perk you offer, but I'd be a madwoman hauling trays all over the building! First off, I'd probably plate up at least 3-4 rooms and then 2 of them would come in as I was getting ready to deliver and I'd be hard-pressed to not hand them the tray and let them figure it out!
That must be one heckuva view!

I have no idea what overcame me. Guests checked in and they being the only room tonight I pointed at the Breakfast at 9am sign and said or you can choose any time you like...
"We'll let you know"
WHY DO I DO THIS!
WILL I NEVER LEARN?
poke.gif

You won't let me know. Why do I give people the option, usually I try to jump in IF they have not decided right then. So when is breakfast tomorrow? Will they let me know at what, 10pm when I am asleep?
See, we never listen do we! I am serving at 9am if I hear nothing else before then..
And why is it that we never say, 'You'll let me know now, or I'll serve breakfast when I feel like it!'?
I hate the hemming and hawing over what time for breakfast. But, if it's one room onl I want to know when I need to be ready. Do I HAVE to get up at 7 or can I sleep in? Will I be twiddling my thumbs until I finally close the kitchen down at 9:30?
Alibi Ike said:
The obvious is to offer no choice. Second would be give them an either or an or, to choose from. ie You can have 9am or 830am? Tell me now which one so I can plan for it.
It is a dichotomy.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
It is a dichotomy.
I think that works, except you are still asking a question. In your case, where you usually do one seating, I would say, 'Breakfast is at...' and let it go. (But YOU decide what time you want to serve it.) For me, with an open seating, it helps to narrow it down if it's just one room.
Even that doesn't work as proved the other day where the guests dithered around so long their taxi arrived before they could even be seated. Good thing I LOVE bacon as it was all cooked! Next day, even tho they said they would be down at the same time, they never showed at all. Luckily, the second morning we prepped nothing.

LoveMyCareer said:
Some of you are a lot nicer then me! It is "Be seated between 8:30 and 9:00. If we don't see you by 9am, we'll bring a tray to your room." No ifs ands or buts about it. I have had guests ask for earlier because they are leaving early (usually white water rafting, where they have to leave at 7:30) I tell them the only thing I can offer is coffee, muffin and fruit to go. Never had any problems with this arragement. Is bringing breakfast to them a hassle? A bit, but it would be more of a hassle to sit and wait on them.
I am small, only 3 rooms, and there is no way in hell I am going to climb those stairs with breakfast for anyone! they are asked to tell me before they turn in what time they want breakfast in the morning - between 4 AM and 10 AM please. I watch for them returning from dinner if they have not given me a time before then. I have been known to tap on the door to ask and when making a dash to ER with DH, tossed a 3x5 card on the steps with instructions to leave me a note with the time for breakfast for when I return.

"We'll let you know"
WHY DO I DO THIS!
WILL I NEVER LEARN?
poke.gif

It was a brain fart. It happens...
embaressed_smile.gif

"We'll let you know"
WHY DO I DO THIS!
WILL I NEVER LEARN?
poke.gif

Alibi Ike said:
Been there, done that and can write a book. If it is just one couple, I first ask what their plans are for the next day. That sometimes helps me to offer breakfast in a time that correlates more so with their plans. But then sometimes that doesn't even work.

[/h3]

Back