Breakfast at Denny's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
A guest ask about bringing someone here for breakfast tomorrow who is staying somewhere else. They are both here for this homecoming at the college.
Yesterday I was at Denny's. Here is the breakfast cost I calculated, only because I wanted to share the EXTREME VALUE WE OFFER as a Bed AND Breakfast!
Build Your Own Grand Slam®
Pick any FOUR items and make it your own.
Or make it easy. Just ask your server for the Original
Grand Slam® and get two buttermilk pancakes, two
eggs,* two bacon strips and two sausage links.
$9.99 grand slam
$2.49 coffee
$2.49 OJ
$14.97 total plus tax $1.20 = $16.17
plus tip $3.00 - $19.17 for ONE PERSON
Two people $19.17 x 2 people = $38.34 TOTAL
THIS IS BREAKFAST Y'ALL! This is less than what our guests get at our B&B, as our guests get fresh fruit and high end ingredients, not just thin cheap toast and diner coffee!
This is blogworthy. This is the value.
So I should have charged this chap an addtl $15+. Our server is not getting a tip here. :)

I want to cry as I read on other Forums what innkeepers are giving their guests for free. No wonder they do not make a profit. It seems each wants to give something more and better. I am not baking - my guests come in at all hours - I am fat enough. I am not buying soda that will go flat. I am not doing wine and cheese. There is water in the fridge, a basket of fruit on the dresser, and free cable TV. Books and magazines to "steal". DVDs to watch. Wifi and parking are free and breakfast is complimentary. That is it from here, Folks. And I have been told repeatedly that lunch was not necessary after my breakfasts.

You tell it, sistah!
We have done free breakfasts for college kids. Then we had the adult guy whose parents were staying here for 3-4 days. He came over every morning and got breakfast. We were never offered add'l money nor left a tip.
Once they're in the house it seems it's a matter of 'what's one more egg?'.

Health dept licensed us to serve to people not staying. $15/pp. fruit salad, orange juice, homemade bread toast, fresh ground coffee, tea in a teapot, the works. No complaints yet!

I have this with the pub chain round the corner - £3.95 for a cooked breakfast (approx. $8)
however with us you get coffee or tea - there this would be £1.50 each plus the same again for refills which we do for free
Juice £1 each
Cereal - they don't do but worth at least £2
Toast plus butter and jam- £1.50
Yogurts and fresh fruit
this adds up to a lot more than the £7.50 we charge for extra breakfasts

As I said once before, the local budget hotels may be cheaper than us, but once you add on what they charge for breakfast they are more expensive, and no way are they any where near our quality.
We have a fondness for Denny's, don't really have anything like that here, really looking forward to visiting them on our Florida trip in a couple of weeks. I was actually looking at the menu on their website the other day and was experimenting on DH with variations of some of their breakfasts yesterday evening.

Don't hit me, but sometimes I think B&Bs would have a wiser business model to make the breakfast an add-on. As HJ says above, the hotels get to bait people with a low base rate, then hit them with an expensive breakfast once they are on site. I think you'd make more money (or waste less) by only making breakfast for those who ask for it, and pay extra to get it.
And please re-read the part about not hitting me!

Don't hit me, but sometimes I think B&Bs would have a wiser business model to make the breakfast an add-on. As HJ says above, the hotels get to bait people with a low base rate, then hit them with an expensive breakfast once they are on site. I think you'd make more money (or waste less) by only making breakfast for those who ask for it, and pay extra to get it.
And please re-read the part about not hitting me!.
Arkansawyer said:
And please re-read the part about not hitting me!
I agree.
But we are what we are, here it means comp breakfast. I say this as one room who had to have an 8am breakfast is not here...it is now 830am.

As I said once before, the local budget hotels may be cheaper than us, but once you add on what they charge for breakfast they are more expensive, and no way are they any where near our quality.
We have a fondness for Denny's, don't really have anything like that here, really looking forward to visiting them on our Florida trip in a couple of weeks. I was actually looking at the menu on their website the other day and was experimenting on DH with variations of some of their breakfasts yesterday evening..
DH went spare this morning - 13 doctors in only 3 had cooked breakfast!

We have a fondness for Denny's, don't really have anything like that here, really looking forward to visiting them on our Florida trip in a couple of weeks. I was actually looking at the menu on their website the other day and was experimenting on DH with variations of some of their breakfasts yesterday evening..
And I am still finding out that guests 'don't eat' something they actually did eat yesterday. 'Could you take that off my husband's food, he doesn't eat that.' And another one who, when pushed, told me at check-in things she is allergic to that she never mentioned in the rez.
So, yeah, an add on would be good.

You tell it, sistah!
We have done free breakfasts for college kids. Then we had the adult guy whose parents were staying here for 3-4 days. He came over every morning and got breakfast. We were never offered add'l money nor left a tip.
Once they're in the house it seems it's a matter of 'what's one more egg?'..
Maddie, just want to be sure I'm understanding what you're saying. The adult son came every day and got breakfast, for free?

And I am still finding out that guests 'don't eat' something they actually did eat yesterday. 'Could you take that off my husband's food, he doesn't eat that.' And another one who, when pushed, told me at check-in things she is allergic to that she never mentioned in the rez.
We have a lovely retired couple that come back frequently, he loves fried bread but his wife wont let him have it because he was a dodgy ticker. So when his wife is is distracted talking to other guests, he'll ask DH for fried bread and then he gets told off when the breakfasts arrive.
teeth_smile.gif

I do him a reduced fat fried bread, by spreading trex or butter on the bread and then put it in the toaster, but he still prefers it done in the frying pan.

We have a full table this morning with a compote of fresh papaya, kiwi, strawberries, red grapes, and blackberries, OJ, black currant nectar non-citric juice, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (made with pumpkin I cooked down - not canned), baked pineapple toast, and Nicaraguan coffee.
We have a couple going home from college senior's parents weekend, a 1 year anniversary today, and a 1 DAY (today) anniversary. They are in there talking and laughing. Love it. One couple changed their breakfast time so they could eat with the others.
Being that they were the last to book, the newlyweds are in the "orphan" room.

You tell it, sistah!
Once they're in the house it seems it's a matter of 'what's one more egg?'..
Maddie, just want to be sure I'm understanding what you're saying. The adult son came every day and got breakfast, for free?
SecondAct said:
Yes. It's not something we usually do but sometimes, especially if the 'kid' is a serviceperson, we'll say ok. It would be nice to be thanked, if not paid, tho.

We have a lovely retired couple that come back frequently, he loves fried bread but his wife wont let him have it because he was a dodgy ticker. So when his wife is is distracted talking to other guests, he'll ask DH for fried bread and then he gets told off when the breakfasts arrive.
teeth_smile.gif

I do him a reduced fat fried bread, by spreading trex or butter on the bread and then put it in the toaster, but he still prefers it done in the frying pan.
HJ ... what exactly is a "dodgy ticker?" :)

teeth_smile.gif

SecondAct said:
Bad heart.

I want to cry as I read on other Forums what innkeepers are giving their guests for free. No wonder they do not make a profit. It seems each wants to give something more and better. I am not baking - my guests come in at all hours - I am fat enough. I am not buying soda that will go flat. I am not doing wine and cheese. There is water in the fridge, a basket of fruit on the dresser, and free cable TV. Books and magazines to "steal". DVDs to watch. Wifi and parking are free and breakfast is complimentary. That is it from here, Folks. And I have been told repeatedly that lunch was not necessary after my breakfasts..
gillumhouse said:
I want to cry as I read on other Forums what innkeepers are giving their guests for free. ...
Don't forget: the number one "give for free" is personal service. Can't get that at Denny's.

I want to cry as I read on other Forums what innkeepers are giving their guests for free. No wonder they do not make a profit. It seems each wants to give something more and better. I am not baking - my guests come in at all hours - I am fat enough. I am not buying soda that will go flat. I am not doing wine and cheese. There is water in the fridge, a basket of fruit on the dresser, and free cable TV. Books and magazines to "steal". DVDs to watch. Wifi and parking are free and breakfast is complimentary. That is it from here, Folks. And I have been told repeatedly that lunch was not necessary after my breakfasts..
gillumhouse said:
I want to cry as I read on other Forums what innkeepers are giving their guests for free. ...
Don't forget: the number one "give for free" is personal service. Can't get that at Denny's.
Tom said:
gillumhouse said:
Exactly - but I am not going to babysit a kid, walk a dog, or do laundry for a guest (not even if they offer to pay) and someone was saying they do all that and more in addition to the free wifi, snacks, etc . THAT is beyond personal service. I will make phone calls.

It is not unusual for us to have guests approach us and ask if it would be appropriate to have relatives/friends join them for breakfast, and how much do we charge....
We explain that our state licensing means that we cannot charge for additional meals, but they are welcome to leave a "tip."

"How much would be appropriate?"
"That would be for you to decide." Even the suggestion of a cost of an extra breakfast could potentially turn us from a B&B into an Inn With a Restaurant. And, OMG, that would be a nightmare.
Then we ask them how many people they are expecting, and we adjust the menu accordingly.
We almost always loose money when this happens, but it is worth it. Happy people enjoying their family means that they will think well of us and tell other people about us.
Being "nice people" always trumps the bottom line.

Another fairly useless observation from JB. But worth mentioning...
The french toast I got with my meal was a thin slice of bread, cut in half. So it was just one piece. Now the interesting part of this was, when I took a bite I got a mouthful of cinnamon. They sprinkled it on AFTER the f.t. was cooked, not during or before. It was NOT pleasant.
Being short order, they could be doing this to preserve their grill, which would be my first inclination. But today as I made this dish, and I recalled the mouthful of cinnamon, and did a mental blech!

Back