Breakfast...being won over to the bright side

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa........there Ark.
Dude..........keep it in perspective..........step out and think over what you have written over time........I don't follow everything to closely........however, I have found you to be some what eratic with your plans........but yeah.......everyone needs a sounding board......
Go over in your head the statements you have made........from my perspective........you have a nice dream, a bit ambitious for what appears to be the project you are undertaking.
So.........some here don't always slap you on the back telling you "atta boy, good job"...........some will in fact slap you upside the head and tell you "what are you thinking?"
I don't think anyone here would intentionaly rain on your parade......but, on some parades, some rain will fall.......
what you see as negative comments........is realy constructive criticism.......as it is an opportunity to gather a different perspective.........never does one person have all the answers....
Use the comments as you like........the good, the bad.......save the good, throw away the bad.................before you dismiss the bad comments. Use those as a learning tool........to view things from another perspective......to see what the underlying message or idea is..........you'd be surprised what gems of wisdom come from what we don't or don't like to hear.
And if you can't take the benign less than what you want comments from your soon to be peers.........how are you going to take it from a guest or a bad review.
ya know.........some folks are good at sugar coating things........others are only good at being blunt..............so what? take it in stride..............and don't be so quick to run off..........This forum needs you..........the members need you...........I and any other lurking or future aspiring need you
Swirt.....should this post be deemed beyond my involvment then please delete.
Swirt.....should this post be deemed beyond my involvment then please delete
Heck NO. Your response is spot on as far as I am concerned. There is a huge wealth of advice in this thread alone and some may think the ideas are great and some may think them horrible. Some will be right and some will be wrong.
If Arkansawyer wanted pat stock attaboy answers, he probably would have started out in a different forum. This forum is not known for that. Just because his ideas have changed, and spawned new ideas that may or may not lead him into being an onsite innkeeper, that does not mean he does not belong here.
B&B's are not all the same, Innkeepers are not all the same, Innowners are not all the same. It is not a one size fits all kind of thing. That is what makes them interesting.
There are a lot of "advice givers" on this forum, which is good, as long as both the giver and the taker realize that not everything will fit everyone and don't get too bent out of shape one way or another.

So ..it sounds like the aspiring class had the effect we knew it would :) Hopefully your eyes are opened now to what the "behind the scenes" things are. I see having breakfast as a benefit to you and your guests. Make it a true B & B. Yes, it would be someone else doing the breakfast, but that's ok...they just have to realize they represent you and treat folks accordingly.
HOw hands on did you say you would be?.
catlady said:
HOw hands on did you say you would be?
I'll handle the website, e-mailing, online reservations, payroll and book keeping, tax payments, ads and other promotion, etc.
I'll probably be down there a while most days after 5 p.m. and since I'm off work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I expect to be there a lot on those days.
The convenience store aspect is actually my sister's project. She'll manage that with the plan that it will produce enough revenue to pay it's own way (staff, supplies, fees and taxes, utilities, etc.). We don't expect any profit from it. It's more of a hobby of hers. (she's retired)
There's that dreaded term "hobby" business......
Which I think is a huge clue to the whole cluelessness that keeps showing up on this thread and other threads related to this guy.
He
a. has no interest in being or employing an innkeeper
b. is not really sure from one day to the next whether he wants to even serve breakfast
c. thinks a convenience store is the same thing as a front desk
d. thinks a limited service guest house in Arkansas will draw $175 per night with no previous history of guests of any kind
e. thinks of this as a hobby
f. is not appropriate to this forum.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Which I think is a huge clue to the whole cluelessness that keeps showing up on this thread and other threads related to this guy.
He
b. is not really sure from one day to the next whether he wants to even serve breakfast
d. thinks a limited service guest house in Arkansas will draw $175 per night with no previous history of guests of any kind
Most aspiring innkeepers that bother to ask questions on this forum have at one point or another floated ideas that others thought were less than optimal. In many cases, they adjusted these over time. They always say they don't have rose colored glasses on...and yet they always do. It is part of dreaming and planning. Without those glasses, I don't know if any B&B would ever get started.
You can't on one hand condemn a person for changing plans from one day to another and on another hand say he is not listening to feedback. Listening to feedback, causes a change of mind.
He may not take all my advice, he may not take all your advice....that should not offend either of us.
If this forum can be part (not all) of that thought process, then it has served its purpose. And I disagree, he does belong here. If this is not the right forum for him and his current state of development, I don't know of one that is.

So ..it sounds like the aspiring class had the effect we knew it would :) Hopefully your eyes are opened now to what the "behind the scenes" things are. I see having breakfast as a benefit to you and your guests. Make it a true B & B. Yes, it would be someone else doing the breakfast, but that's ok...they just have to realize they represent you and treat folks accordingly.
catlady said:
I'll handle the website, e-mailing, online reservations, payroll and book keeping, tax payments, ads and other promotion, etc.
I'll probably be down there a while most days after 5 p.m. and since I'm off work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I expect to be there a lot on those days.
The convenience store aspect is actually my sister's project. She'll manage that with the plan that it will produce enough revenue to pay it's own way (staff, supplies, fees and taxes, utilities, etc.). We don't expect any profit from it. It's more of a hobby of hers. (she's retired)
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Most aspiring innkeepers that bother to ask questions on this forum have at one point or another floated ideas that others thought were less than optimal. In many cases, they adjusted these over time. They always say they don't have rose colored glasses on...and yet they always do. It is part of dreaming and planning. Without those glasses, I don't know if any B&B would ever get started.
You can't on one hand condemn a person for changing plans from one day to another and on another hand say he is not listening to feedback. Listening to feedback, causes a change of mind.
He may not take all my advice, he may not take all your advice....that should not offend either of us.
If this forum can be part (not all) of that thought process, then it has served its purpose. And I disagree, he does belong here. If this is not the right forum for him and his current state of development, I don't know of one that is.
swirt said:
Hear, hear, swirt. Sadly, I don't think he'll get all the information he needs on PAII.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Fair enough, swirt. We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Aspiring innkeepers of all sorts should feel free to ask all kinds of questions and accept as little or as much of the advice they're given as they want.
My whole point is that this guy is not an aspiring innkeeper nor does he want to hire one. Where do we draw the line on that?
I'm hearing from you and others that there is no line. I respectfully just don't agree with that. I think our time here is best spent on issues of concern to innkeepers and aspirings. Granted, this guy may have raised some of those same issues.
But an innkeeper he is not. Nor is he an aspiring. That really needs to be understood as his story evolves rather interestingly all the same.
And much as I appreciate the other point of view, I'll just have to agree to disagree very strongly on the appropriateness of that here.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Fair enough, swirt. We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Aspiring innkeepers of all sorts should feel free to ask all kinds of questions and accept as little or as much of the advice they're given as they want.
My whole point is that this guy is not an aspiring innkeeper nor does he want to hire one. Where do we draw the line on that?
I'm hearing from you and others that there is no line. I respectfully just don't agree with that. I think our time here is best spent on issues of concern to innkeepers and aspirings. Granted, this guy may have raised some of those same issues.
But an innkeeper he is not. Nor is he an aspiring. That really needs to be understood as his story evolves rather interestingly all the same.
And much as I appreciate the other point of view, I'll just have to agree to disagree very strongly on the appropriateness of that here.
Innkeeper To Go said:
I'm hearing from you and others that there is no line. I just don't agree with that. I think our time here is best spent on issue of concern to innkeepers and aspirings. Granted, this guy may have raised some of those same issues.
We draw lines on topics here, not people. At least not until people have behaved very, very badly - with name calling and such - and very few people have crossed that line, so far. Arkansawyer certainly didn't.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
I'm hearing from you and others that there is no line. I just don't agree with that. I think our time here is best spent on issue of concern to innkeepers and aspirings. Granted, this guy may have raised some of those same issues.
We draw lines on topics here, not people. At least not until people have behaved very, very badly - with name calling and such - and very few people have crossed that line, so far. Arkansawyer certainly didn't.
I'll try to remember that rule next time you come after me, Jeanne.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
Gone after you? Disagreed with you certainly - and on this matter too, I will add. Thought your advice was not particularly helpful? Yes ma'am, and I'll probably think that again. Flagged some topics as inappropriate for the forum? Absolutely and I'm not planning to stop that any time soon.
But I have never, ever suggested that you should leave the forum - either in public or in private.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
Gone after you? Disagreed with you certainly - and on this matter too, I will add. Thought your advice was not particularly helpful? Yes ma'am, and I'll probably think that again. Flagged some topics as inappropriate for the forum? Absolutely and I'm not planning to stop that any time soon.
But I have never, ever suggested that you should leave the forum - either in public or in private.
Edited to delete dupe. Probably all that flagging caused interference.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
Charming as always, Jeanne. Please don't stop now. Ever so lovely and gracious.

"Do what we can, summer will have its flies."
As an fyi - I would bet 25% of this forum doesn't get on with 25% of the forum. This is a forum, made up of all sorts, likes and dislikes. Some of my best innmates here are diametrically opposed. Ain't life grand?!.
'Tis grand indeed! I took a break from this forum for a good long while because I was finding some of the behavior here distasteful. But I was throwing the baby out with the bathwater, I find so many of the folks here to be genuinely generous and willing to help, plus they are the only people in the world who can truly appreciate what it's like to live the life I do, and I need their camaraderie.
I've found since coming back here that what's most helpful for me is to simply not respond to posts or threads that aren't particularly constructive, or that bring up issues that might push my own personal buttons. I don't have to rise to the bait every single time.
Back to the original issue, Arkansawyer I really hope you keep us posted on your plans as you progress, and not take it personally when someone disagrees with what you're thinking. I can say for myself that any issues I've brought up were just in genuine response and interest to your stated intentions, and with the hope of playing devil's advocate a little bit to help you see some potential issues that might come up.

Whoa........there Ark.
Dude..........keep it in perspective..........step out and think over what you have written over time........I don't follow everything to closely........however, I have found you to be some what eratic with your plans........but yeah.......everyone needs a sounding board......
Go over in your head the statements you have made........from my perspective........you have a nice dream, a bit ambitious for what appears to be the project you are undertaking.
So.........some here don't always slap you on the back telling you "atta boy, good job"...........some will in fact slap you upside the head and tell you "what are you thinking?"
I don't think anyone here would intentionaly rain on your parade......but, on some parades, some rain will fall.......
what you see as negative comments........is realy constructive criticism.......as it is an opportunity to gather a different perspective.........never does one person have all the answers....
Use the comments as you like........the good, the bad.......save the good, throw away the bad.................before you dismiss the bad comments. Use those as a learning tool........to view things from another perspective......to see what the underlying message or idea is..........you'd be surprised what gems of wisdom come from what we don't or don't like to hear.
And if you can't take the benign less than what you want comments from your soon to be peers.........how are you going to take it from a guest or a bad review.
ya know.........some folks are good at sugar coating things........others are only good at being blunt..............so what? take it in stride..............and don't be so quick to run off..........This forum needs you..........the members need you...........I and any other lurking or future aspiring need you
Swirt.....should this post be deemed beyond my involvment then please delete.
Swirt.....should this post be deemed beyond my involvment then please delete
Heck NO. Your response is spot on as far as I am concerned. There is a huge wealth of advice in this thread alone and some may think the ideas are great and some may think them horrible. Some will be right and some will be wrong.
If Arkansawyer wanted pat stock attaboy answers, he probably would have started out in a different forum. This forum is not known for that. Just because his ideas have changed, and spawned new ideas that may or may not lead him into being an onsite innkeeper, that does not mean he does not belong here.
B&B's are not all the same, Innkeepers are not all the same, Innowners are not all the same. It is not a one size fits all kind of thing. That is what makes them interesting.
There are a lot of "advice givers" on this forum, which is good, as long as both the giver and the taker realize that not everything will fit everyone and don't get too bent out of shape one way or another.
swirt said:
Well said! And thank goodness for it.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
sad_smile.gif
What the bleep?

Copperhead wrote:I disagree. Where else would he find out what or if he should pursue this idea?
He IS in the planning stages... evolving his ideas as he hears better ones. We are contributing to those better ideas...It is better that he uses us as his sounding board than place his money in a project that due to being uninformed fails and he wonders why.
Thanks for the understanding, Copperhead. There are some wonderful, helpful, generous people on this forum, and I've learned a lot from them as I've modified my plans time and time again to use the advice many here have given me.
There are also some absolutely horrible people here, people who probably are not well suited to help aspiring innkeepers learn.
The assertion that I would be playing with this as a hobby, and the implication that I am intentionally trying to lose money, are especially hurtful, after me spending all the hours I have here, and reading all the books I have, and paying $900 for a 3-day seminar. If I were not serious and dedicated, if I were trying to lose money for tax benefits, why would I have worked so hard to get educated on this subject?
I have learned a lot here, but won't stay where I'm not welcome. I'm joining PAII at the aspiring innkeeper level, and hope they will be a little more professional and patient with beginners. I won't bother y'all here any more..
Arkansawyer said:
" There are some wonderful, helpful, generous people on this forum, and I've learned a lot from them as I've modified my plans time and time again to use the advice many here have given me. "
This is EXACTLY why you should stay ... for such good advice, honest opinions, passionate feelings about innkeeping. I learned more here than at PAII and two innkeeping seminars I attended put together. Little things, big things, how to handle things I couldn't imagine ... small suggestions that made things run so much smoother.
Not everyone is going to make you feel welcome. Not all your guests are going to love your place. You need to know that. You need to be able to say to the potential guest who calls and complains because you have no overnight staff 'This is how I run things, this works'
You have to thicken your skin. That's something I have to work on myself. Every day.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
sad_smile.gif
What the bleep?
seashanty said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
sad_smile.gif
What the bleep?
Never mind, SS. Pot and kettle, sticks and stones. It's easy enough to ignore.

As an fyi - I would bet 25% of this forum doesn't get on with 25% of the forum. This is a forum, made up of all sorts, likes and dislikes. Some of my best innmates here are diametrically opposed. Ain't life grand?!.
'Tis grand indeed! I took a break from this forum for a good long while because I was finding some of the behavior here distasteful. But I was throwing the baby out with the bathwater, I find so many of the folks here to be genuinely generous and willing to help, plus they are the only people in the world who can truly appreciate what it's like to live the life I do, and I need their camaraderie.
I've found since coming back here that what's most helpful for me is to simply not respond to posts or threads that aren't particularly constructive, or that bring up issues that might push my own personal buttons. I don't have to rise to the bait every single time.
Back to the original issue, Arkansawyer I really hope you keep us posted on your plans as you progress, and not take it personally when someone disagrees with what you're thinking. I can say for myself that any issues I've brought up were just in genuine response and interest to your stated intentions, and with the hope of playing devil's advocate a little bit to help you see some potential issues that might come up.
Rupert said:
I took a break from this forum for a good long while because I was finding some of the behavior here distasteful. I've found since coming back here that what's most helpful for me is to simply not respond to posts or threads that aren't particularly constructive, or that bring up issues that might push my own personal buttons. I don't have to rise to the bait every single time.
Arkansawyer I really hope you keep us posted on your plans as you progress, and not take it personally when someone disagrees with what you're thinking.
Rupe, I did the same...and could not agree more with everything you said...so I'll just say "Ditto". Arky, don't give up on us. Most of us genuinely want you to succeed, and who better to bounce your ideas off of then other innkeepers, of all stripes and types?

Rupert said:
I took a break from this forum for a good long while because I was finding some of the behavior here distasteful. I've found since coming back here that what's most helpful for me is to simply not respond to posts or threads that aren't particularly constructive, or that bring up issues that might push my own personal buttons. I don't have to rise to the bait every single time.
Arkansawyer I really hope you keep us posted on your plans as you progress, and not take it personally when someone disagrees with what you're thinking.
Rupe, I did the same...and could not agree more with everything you said...so I'll just say "Ditto". Arky, don't give up on us. Most of us genuinely want you to succeed, and who better to bounce your ideas off of then other innkeepers, of all stripes and types?
Little Blue said:
Rupert said:
"Stripes and types" "Drippin' Vic'"...LB, I think you missed your true calling as a poet! That made me smile.
teeth_smile.gif

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
ITG...I nearly always enjoy your posts and your POV, but this type of personal dig is unattractive and really unwelcome. I was on the receiving end of some snarkiness on this forum, and the ignore worked great right up until mr. nasty was booted from the pool.
And NO, I am not comparing any current forum members to mr. nasty........

Rupert said:
Rupert, I did/do the same. While being incogneto on this forum is great to share things that we normally would not be able to do, it provides some with too much feedom to say things that they would not say if their name & face were connected to their words for the whole world to possibly see.

We've all probably taken a break from the forum at one time or another. We've also all probably been snarky at one time or another, intentionally or not We're all human and have bad days and make mistakes too.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He is closer now to an innkeeper way of thinking than he was when he first arrived here. In this very thread he is contemplating breakfast. Who knows where his direction might end up in a few weeks or a few months, he might even be considering a full blown B&B. If you feel he is wasting your time, then just give him no more of it.
We have a lot of members here who are running "non-traditional" B&B's and I don't want them getting run off or any aspirings contemplating a non-traditional approach getting scared off either.
As far as I can tell Arkansawyer came here to ask for feedback on ideas and I see lots of evidence that he is listening. Even if he wasn't listening, that would be ok too, but I do understand how people could tire of that.
If I came here a couple years back and said I am going to stop serving breakfast and am enacting an absolute 2 night minimum, I am sure people would have told me it was a BAD idea. That would have been fine, but if someone then said I didn't belong here because of that decision, that would be unfortunate. We make the best decisions we can to fit our OWN situations.
Calling someone out and suggesting that they don't belong here is not your role. That burden falls to me ... and trust me, you don't want it. It isn't as much fun as it may sound.

Back