Breakfast...being won over to the bright side

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So ..it sounds like the aspiring class had the effect we knew it would :) Hopefully your eyes are opened now to what the "behind the scenes" things are. I see having breakfast as a benefit to you and your guests. Make it a true B & B. Yes, it would be someone else doing the breakfast, but that's ok...they just have to realize they represent you and treat folks accordingly.
HOw hands on did you say you would be?.
catlady said:
HOw hands on did you say you would be?
I'll handle the website, e-mailing, online reservations, payroll and book keeping, tax payments, ads and other promotion, etc.
I'll probably be down there a while most days after 5 p.m. and since I'm off work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I expect to be there a lot on those days.
The convenience store aspect is actually my sister's project. She'll manage that with the plan that it will produce enough revenue to pay it's own way (staff, supplies, fees and taxes, utilities, etc.). We don't expect any profit from it. It's more of a hobby of hers. (she's retired)
There's that dreaded term "hobby" business......
Which I think is a huge clue to the whole cluelessness that keeps showing up on this thread and other threads related to this guy.
He
a. has no interest in being or employing an innkeeper
b. is not really sure from one day to the next whether he wants to even serve breakfast
c. thinks a convenience store is the same thing as a front desk
d. thinks a limited service guest house in Arkansas will draw $175 per night with no previous history of guests of any kind
e. thinks of this as a hobby
f. is not appropriate to this forum.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Which I think is a huge clue to the whole cluelessness that keeps showing up on this thread and other threads related to this guy.
He
b. is not really sure from one day to the next whether he wants to even serve breakfast
d. thinks a limited service guest house in Arkansas will draw $175 per night with no previous history of guests of any kind
Most aspiring innkeepers that bother to ask questions on this forum have at one point or another floated ideas that others thought were less than optimal. In many cases, they adjusted these over time. They always say they don't have rose colored glasses on...and yet they always do. It is part of dreaming and planning. Without those glasses, I don't know if any B&B would ever get started.
You can't on one hand condemn a person for changing plans from one day to another and on another hand say he is not listening to feedback. Listening to feedback, causes a change of mind.
He may not take all my advice, he may not take all your advice....that should not offend either of us.
If this forum can be part (not all) of that thought process, then it has served its purpose. And I disagree, he does belong here. If this is not the right forum for him and his current state of development, I don't know of one that is.
Fair enough, swirt. We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Aspiring innkeepers of all sorts should feel free to ask all kinds of questions and accept as little or as much of the advice they're given as they want.
My whole point is that this guy is not an aspiring innkeeper nor does he want to hire one. Where do we draw the line on that?
I'm hearing from you and others that there is no line. I respectfully just don't agree with that. I think our time here is best spent on issues of concern to innkeepers and aspirings. Granted, this guy may have raised some of those same issues.
But an innkeeper he is not. Nor is he an aspiring. That really needs to be understood as his story evolves rather interestingly all the same.
And much as I appreciate the other point of view, I'll just have to agree to disagree very strongly on the appropriateness of that here.
Innkeeper To Go said:
My whole point is that this guy is not an aspiring innkeeper nor does he want to hire one. Where do we draw the line on that?
I'm hearing from you and others that there is no line. I respectfully just don't agree with that. I think our time here is best spent on issues of concern to innkeepers and aspirings. Granted, this guy may have raised some of those same issues.
But an innkeeper he is not. Nor is he an aspiring. That really needs to be understood as his story evolves rather interestingly all the same.
He is closer now to an innkeeper way of thinking than he was when he first arrived here. In this very thread he is contemplating breakfast. Who knows where his direction might end up in a few weeks or a few months, he might even be considering a full blown B&B. If you feel he is wasting your time, then just give him no more of it.
We have a lot of members here who are running "non-traditional" B&B's and I don't want them getting run off or any aspirings contemplating a non-traditional approach getting scared off either.
As far as I can tell Arkansawyer came here to ask for feedback on ideas and I see lots of evidence that he is listening. Even if he wasn't listening, that would be ok too, but I do understand how people could tire of that.
If I came here a couple years back and said I am going to stop serving breakfast and am enacting an absolute 2 night minimum, I am sure people would have told me it was a BAD idea. That would have been fine, but if someone then said I didn't belong here because of that decision, that would be unfortunate. We make the best decisions we can to fit our OWN situations.
Calling someone out and suggesting that they don't belong here is not your role. That burden falls to me ... and trust me, you don't want it. It isn't as much fun as it may sound.
swirt said:
Calling someone out and suggesting that they don't belong here is not your role. That burden falls to me ... and trust me, you don't want it. It isn't as much fun as it may sound.
Don't think it would be fun at all, swirt, to be receiving all of those flags after every single one of the private conversations that Jeanne has apparently had about me.
But thanks for putting me in my place this morning.
Message received loud and clear from all of you.
Got it. No that's not snarky. Neither did I ever one single time say a single snarky think about LB. Those private conversations and flagging are not only damaging, they are quite cruel.
I don't envy you at all. Nor do I think I have deserved the kind of wrist-slapping I have received on this.
But point taken. Got it.

So ..it sounds like the aspiring class had the effect we knew it would :) Hopefully your eyes are opened now to what the "behind the scenes" things are. I see having breakfast as a benefit to you and your guests. Make it a true B & B. Yes, it would be someone else doing the breakfast, but that's ok...they just have to realize they represent you and treat folks accordingly.
catlady said:
I'll handle the website, e-mailing, online reservations, payroll and book keeping, tax payments, ads and other promotion, etc.
I'll probably be down there a while most days after 5 p.m. and since I'm off work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I expect to be there a lot on those days.
The convenience store aspect is actually my sister's project. She'll manage that with the plan that it will produce enough revenue to pay it's own way (staff, supplies, fees and taxes, utilities, etc.). We don't expect any profit from it. It's more of a hobby of hers. (she's retired)
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Most aspiring innkeepers that bother to ask questions on this forum have at one point or another floated ideas that others thought were less than optimal. In many cases, they adjusted these over time. They always say they don't have rose colored glasses on...and yet they always do. It is part of dreaming and planning. Without those glasses, I don't know if any B&B would ever get started.
You can't on one hand condemn a person for changing plans from one day to another and on another hand say he is not listening to feedback. Listening to feedback, causes a change of mind.
He may not take all my advice, he may not take all your advice....that should not offend either of us.
If this forum can be part (not all) of that thought process, then it has served its purpose. And I disagree, he does belong here. If this is not the right forum for him and his current state of development, I don't know of one that is.
Fair enough, swirt. We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Aspiring innkeepers of all sorts should feel free to ask all kinds of questions and accept as little or as much of the advice they're given as they want.
And much as I appreciate the other point of view, I'll just have to agree to disagree very strongly on the appropriateness of that here.
Innkeeper To Go said:
He is closer now to an innkeeper way of thinking than he was when he first arrived here. In this very thread he is contemplating breakfast. Who knows where his direction might end up in a few weeks or a few months, he might even be considering a full blown B&B. If you feel he is wasting your time, then just give him no more of it.
We have a lot of members here who are running "non-traditional" B&B's and I don't want them getting run off or any aspirings contemplating a non-traditional approach getting scared off either.
As far as I can tell Arkansawyer came here to ask for feedback on ideas and I see lots of evidence that he is listening. Even if he wasn't listening, that would be ok too, but I do understand how people could tire of that.
If I came here a couple years back and said I am going to stop serving breakfast and am enacting an absolute 2 night minimum, I am sure people would have told me it was a BAD idea. That would have been fine, but if someone then said I didn't belong here because of that decision, that would be unfortunate. We make the best decisions we can to fit our OWN situations.
swirt said:
Don't think it would be fun at all, swirt, to be receiving all of those flags after every single one of the private conversations that Jeanne has apparently had about me.
Got it. No that's not snarky. Neither did I ever one single time say a single snarky think about LB. Those private conversations and flagging are not only damaging, they are quite cruel.
I don't envy you at all. Nor do I think I have deserved the kind of wrist-slapping I have received on this.
But point taken. Got it.
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
Seriously, Raven, I have no idea what you're talking about. I never flagged any of your posts as offensive, nor is there a private chat room of any kind on this forum. Private emails sent directly to me, from other forum members I know, are my business and my business only. Others may have flagged your posts - they didn't ask my permission nor get encouragement from me to do so.

Folks....
Don't sweat any of this stuff..........some of you have developed good friendships.....remember that.
This forum is like any other message forum..........yeah, just like any other message forum on the net.......every industry, hobby, just about anything you can think of has a forum on the net.
What makes these forums thrive is the membership........the "increasing" membership
First there is the core members........and those that join along the way......all with a collective purpose.........but not all know if there is a specific goal of the forum, or a specific guideline........Generaly most all industry specific forums have the purpose in mind to help each other, help new comers....advance the industry and in some small way to standardize the industry.........these are all good things.
Over time.......in the forums what starts out as a collective goal in mind, becomes blurry..........the "line" as it has been mentioned here.........Individuals will take the goal and themselves take it into different directions.......some want the purist ideal.......others are more wishy-washy.
What I have found that most are comfortable with is a forum that is of the members, for the members..........meaning that the members collectively decide on what is acceptable and what is not..........basicaly the members police themselves........and this is what goes on here at innspiring.
Of all that has been written here.........there trully is nothing to be overly offended with..........or even remotely offended......there is one line of discussion that is a bit confusing.......thinking it's more of a missunderstanding.
Another thing that happens with forums is that some dig in to deep, get to immersed in the goings on of the forum......the sense of being duty bound. As well intentioned.......have to be carefull........then this happens.
Please......before making statements of "I'm not wanted" or something like that........log off for a day......think about it.........I guarantee that within about a week someone is wishing they could come back, but because of making the satement of "if I'm not wanted" at the quick.........this will always bight you in the rear, wishing you never said it...........if things get heated from time to time............good........drama is good for the membership........and 98% of the members of any forum are forgiving
Take a few days off.......will see everyong together Monday

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
But point taken. Got it.
Please, take a deep breath. There has been only one post flagged in the past 48 hours and that was for cherylsarah selling "small business goals". This site has no private messaging system. If you are talking about email, I can't do anything about that, but I have never received an email with you as a topic. Please spare me the trouble of going through the flag log and just accept that I do not recall ever getting a flag for anything you have ever posted.
I don't know what's going on. I hope you are ok.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
But point taken. Got it.
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
Seriously, Raven, I have no idea what you're talking about. I never flagged any of your posts as offensive, nor is there a private chat room of any kind on this forum. Private emails sent directly to me, from other forum members I know, are my business and my business only. Others may have flagged your posts - they didn't ask my permission nor get encouragement from me to do so.
I am talking about your comment last night in which you told me you had flagged me several times and would not hesitate to continue to do so. Nice.
I am talking about the comment you made last night in which you ranted about how the advice I've given is never useful but even privately you don't advocate that I be removed from the forum. No, you just flag.
Nice.
You have at times on this forum blatantly accused me of falsehoods. That is in and of itself inappropriate and incorrect. It is without merit and is deliberately harmful to my reputation.
The constant unkindness of that is noticed. That is not a snarky response. That is a pained response.
Got it Jeanne. Keep flagging. And yes, go ahead and update/edit those comments after the fact. Does not change in anyway what you said and how cruel, harmful, and damaging those comments are and were.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
But point taken. Got it.
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
I am talking about your comment last night in which you told me you had flagged me several times and would not hesitate to continue to do so. Nice.
I am talking about the comment you made last night in which you ranted about how the advice I've given is never useful but even privately you don't advocate that I be removed from the forum. No, you just flag.
Nice.
You have at times on this forum blatantly accused me of falsehoods. That is in and of itself inappropriate and incorrect. It is without merit and is deliberately harmful to my reputation.
The constant unkindness of that is noticed. That is not a snarky response. That is a pained response.
Got it Jeanne. Keep flagging. And yes, go ahead and update/edit those comments after the fact. Does not change in anyway what you said and how cruel, harmful, and damaging those comments are and were.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Nice.
I never said that I flagged you. I have not ever done that. I have flagged posts by others that I thought were inappropriately political. None were from you. I editted one comment today for a typo - I used your instead of you're (I'm a grammatical fanatic that way). This may be a pained response, but it is also one that is riddled with misunderstanding and unwarranted paranoia. Most of what I do is just ignore you - my mistake was in not continuing to do so last night. I am truly sorry to have engaged you at all.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
But point taken. Got it.
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
Nice.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Nice.
I never said that I flagged you. I have not ever done that. I have flagged posts by others that I thought were inappropriately political. None were from you. I editted one comment today for a typo - I used your instead of you're (I'm a grammatical fanatic that way). This may be a pained response, but it is also one that is riddled with misunderstanding and unwarranted paranoia. Most of what I do is just ignore you - my mistake was in not continuing to do so last night. I am truly sorry to have engaged you at all.
If continuing to throw cruel and unwarranted insults are your idea of engagement, you're engaging indeed.

catlady said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
He
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
But point taken. Got it.
Innkeeper To Go said:
swirt said:
Nice.
Nothing has been flagged from you. I think this whole thing is spilling over from some misreading.
Muirford didn't say she flagged YOUR posts and Little Blue didn't say YOU were snarky to her.
Again I am suggesting some deep breaths and some time away.
I am locking this thread for a couple of days because it has gotten way off topic and is devolving faster than I can stop it.

Back