Breakfast Changes for Fall

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
With Jeanne mentioning her first batch of Apple Soup, it reminded me to ask - are there any changes you make in Fall for breakast? More comfort foods? More pumpkin pancakes?

Oh yeah... I bought my first apple cider of the season. And...we actually turned on the new heat pump last night for HEAT!!! It was 60...brrrrr...

I'm more likely to make a cobbler than to serve fresh fruit. Plus, the realization has just come that I can buy 4 apples to serve 14 guests if I do it that way vs each guest getting a fruit cup. So I'll be looking for 'casserole-style' fruit dishes now.

Yep, bring on the apples, pears and pumpkins! I have a copycat recipe of the Starbuck's pumpkin scones that is WONDERFUL!!!
We are still lingering on a late crop of peaches, but the pears are almost here and apples still on the tree...
Do more cobblers now, switch to the warm fuzzy dishes.

I'm more likely to make a cobbler than to serve fresh fruit. Plus, the realization has just come that I can buy 4 apples to serve 14 guests if I do it that way vs each guest getting a fruit cup. So I'll be looking for 'casserole-style' fruit dishes now..
Bree said:
I'm more likely to make a cobbler than to serve fresh fruit. Plus, the realization has just come that I can buy 4 apples to serve 14 guests if I do it that way vs each guest getting a fruit cup. So I'll be looking for 'casserole-style' fruit dishes now.
Please share them in the recipe section when you have a chance.
cheers.gif

Last week I was in a hurry and did not want to bake so I bought carmel apples and put them out. The guests thought that was heaven for fall. I am going to do that again this weekend. Perfect fall treat!

Last week I was in a hurry and did not want to bake so I bought carmel apples and put them out. The guests thought that was heaven for fall. I am going to do that again this weekend. Perfect fall treat!.
sandynn said:
Last week I was in a hurry and did not want to bake so I bought carmel apples and put them out. The guests thought that was heaven for fall. I am going to do that again this weekend. Perfect fall treat!
Tell us more. Traditional caramel apples on the stick or did you slice them? I know there are tons of recipes for that taste. I make a caramel apple pie, it is super.

Yep, bring on the apples, pears and pumpkins! I have a copycat recipe of the Starbuck's pumpkin scones that is WONDERFUL!!!
We are still lingering on a late crop of peaches, but the pears are almost here and apples still on the tree...
Do more cobblers now, switch to the warm fuzzy dishes..
Would you share the pumpkin scones in the recipe section?

Last week I was in a hurry and did not want to bake so I bought carmel apples and put them out. The guests thought that was heaven for fall. I am going to do that again this weekend. Perfect fall treat!.
sandynn said:
Tell us more. Traditional caramel apples on the stick or did you slice them? I know there are tons of recipes for that taste. I make a caramel apple pie, it is super.
The were on a stick and were fresh from the local orchard. Yum!!!!!!
please share your carmel pie recipe
sandynn

[h4]I use the glaze for other treats too, yummy![/h4][h4]Scones[/h4][h4]Powdered Sugar Glaze[/h4][h4]Spiced Glaze[/h4][h3]Directions[/h3]
  1. TO MAKE THE SCONES:.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
  3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Using a pastry knife, fork, or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious. Set aside.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half and half, and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball.
  5. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle (about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide). Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough twice through the width, making three equal portions. Cut those three slices diagonally so that you have 6 triangular slices of dough. Place on prepared baking sheet.
  6. Bake for 14–16 minutes. Scones should begin to turn light brown. Place on wire rack to cool.
  7. TO MAKE THE PLAIN GLAZE:.
  8. Mix the powdered sugar and 2 tbsp milk together until smooth.
  9. When scones are cool, use a brush to paint plain glaze over the top of each scone.
  10. AS THAT WHITE GLAZE FIRMS UP, MAKE THE SPICED ICING:.
  11. Combine the ingredient for the spiced icing together. Drizzle this thicker icing over each scone and allow the icing to dry before serving (at least 1 hour). A squirt bottle works great for this, or you can drizzle with a whisk.

Do more cobblers now, switch to the warm fuzzy dishes..
Not quite ready for that here yet. It is still in the mid 80s during the day and mid 60s at night. I open the windows in the morning & shut them around noon. We are having the A/C run for an hour or so upstairs in the later afternoon still. Temps will come down to the 70s next week from the looks of things.
I am not really sure how breakfast soups (much less warm soups) would go over here. I'd have to tast it myself first.
I have a bag of farm fresh peaches that will be crisps tomorrow morning. And I have some pears that I need to use too but I think I'll make a pear coffee cake.

sandynn said:
sandynn
sandynn said:
sandynn
Without actually findng it or typing it out, it is a simple jar of caramel sauce (like the ice cream section in your store sells) and you pour it over the apples before putting in the oven. You don't need to add the whole jar, just a few tablespoonsful. I saw the recipe in a book I read, which escapes me right now, it was a little diner and people would travel far and wide for their special caramel apple pie. Served a la mode.

Back