Breakfast Cost

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
How much do you spend per guest on breakfast? Do you average it out or try to keep to a certain minimum?
Having just returned from shopping for the next few days worth of guests only, I can firmly tell you that the cost per guest for FOOD (this includes afternoon refreshments (brownies, cake type thingies) and coffee, tea, sodas, a bowl of plums, some peanuts, etc near guest fridge - is $7.00 per person.
This includes ingredients/items such as fresh strawberries, canteloupe, pineapple, kiwi, tomatoes, avocado, potatoes, eggs, ham, bacon, sausage, biscuits, cheese, croissants, green onions, orange juice, sour cream, ..."Stuff Mart" has lowered their prices, I could see the drop in quite a few of the items I buy regularly. Price point examples: strawberries $2.49 a pint - but were really fresh red ripe, avocado .99 each.
I was pleased with this, to me $7.00 is about right for our B&B. Not the same everywhere of course, if I added some higher end ingredients - but I tried to stay away from too tropical for this weekend.

I think that I figured our daily food cost per person was around $10/person because I also had snack baskets in the room plus the afternoon baked goods. They got a lot of food here! You didn't mention your chocolates in the room though & I know that they're yummy. :)

No not counting every cost for a guest, just basically to feed them. I was pleased to see these lower prices at stuffmart, it was noticable.

There is a b & b in my town who offer guests $30 off their room rate if they don't take the breakfast. Apparently this goes over well with guests and the couple running the b & b both have outside jobs so they love it. Guests checks in and pay and they never see them again. I really think this would work for some innkeepers but to me the best part about staying at a b & b is the breakfast.

I am forever over budget on food costs. My target is $60 to $80 per week for 6 rooms for breakfast only. I don't do afternoon tea/snacks. Usually I run around $100 per week.

Back