Breakfast for 5 mornings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
I have guests that booked 5 consec nights. Any ideas of a varied menu that they won't get bored with? This is my FIRST 5 night booking (exciting and nervous). They are coming from the west coast, CA.
Any menu and recipe ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

We do very simple breakfasts, but you could dress these up with some fancy starters...
  • blueberry pancakes with peppered bacon
  • spinach quiche with sausage & toast
  • fruity french toast with sausage (we use italian bread and heap the berries on top)
  • cheesy potato pie with sausage & toast (I think the recipe is on here)
  • waffles
There are a ton of stuffed french toast recipes out there. Any jam/jelly you can find in the grocery store can be made into a stuffed french toast.

For a six night booking, here's my menus:
Pancakes and Sausage Links
Egg Blossoms with Ham
French Toast with Sausage Links or Ham
Stuffed Croissants (Canadian Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, topped with Hollandaise)
Sausage Gravy and Biscuits with Cheesy Potato Pie
Eggs Florentine with Bacon Strips
I always start with fruit. Six choices (most of which get topped with Berry Cream):
Strawberries
Strawberries & blueberries (sometimes I layer them, usually not)
Fruit splits (three fruits, like strawberries, watermelon & pineapple with two pieces of a fingered banana, topped with berry cream and either three cherries or three blueberries)
Pineapple & bananas (and maybe kiwi)
Raspberries & blackberries
Apple Crisps
Watermelon
=)
Kk.

congratulations!
i ask if they have a 'favorite' breakfast and try to serve it at least once - maybe first morning and last morning ... is there anything they really don't like for breakfast? that's good to know.
my breakfasts are pretty basic, too. simple stuff and lots of it!

For a six night booking, here's my menus:
Pancakes and Sausage Links
Egg Blossoms with Ham
French Toast with Sausage Links or Ham
Stuffed Croissants (Canadian Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, topped with Hollandaise)
Sausage Gravy and Biscuits with Cheesy Potato Pie
Eggs Florentine with Bacon Strips
I always start with fruit. Six choices (most of which get topped with Berry Cream):
Strawberries
Strawberries & blueberries (sometimes I layer them, usually not)
Fruit splits (three fruits, like strawberries, watermelon & pineapple with two pieces of a fingered banana, topped with berry cream and either three cherries or three blueberries)
Pineapple & bananas (and maybe kiwi)
Raspberries & blackberries
Apple Crisps
Watermelon
=)
Kk..
what IS this cheesy potato recipe?!

I alternate sweet & savory. I like SS's suggestion about asking about a favorite brekkie, too.
Some ideas for your main course:
  • 3 cheese omelet
  • Frittata (choose what want to put in it)
  • Quiche (again, you choose what you want to add)
  • Scrambled eggs/baked eggs/some kind of plainer eggs
  • Eggs benedict (or some kind of fancier eggs)
  • Waffles - regular or Belgian
  • French Toast - regular or stuffed
  • Bread pudding
  • Pancakes
  • Crepes
I always have a fruit starter & some kind of baked good.
Good luck with your 5 day stay & congrats!

We've had a few long stays recently of four and five nights. We alternate sweet and savory and I try to plan to have some dishes - casseroles and potatoe pies and French toast - when we have a full house and other items for fewer people. We've done:
cantalope slices with raspberries and raspberry drizzle/Blueberry pecan french toast
chilled peach soup/cheesy potato pie
watermelon balls & blackberries with lime ginger syrup/spinach-gruyere omelets
strawberries with honey/vanilla syrup/featherbed eggs
tea-poached pears/chocolate waffles with bananas and raspberries
We have a different muffin or sweet bread each morning. We alternate meats - sausage patties, sausage links, bacon, Canadian bacon, ham and toast with the egg dishes - six-grain bread, English muffin bread, rye bread.

Like we have discussed before, sometimes you can stretch a meal by NOT putting an item IN THE MAIN DISH MEAL.
Example: When I make the ham, cheese, onion and tomato quiche - if I am running low on one of the side items like a potato side, I can put sliced tomatoes on the plate (instead of in it).
Or make the quiche veggie and put the ham on the plate (instead of in it). Then it fills out the plate and adds color. I hate to have "all my eggs in one basket" so to speak.
So by doing this you add even more variations to the same exact meal, mixing it up a bit.

I am beginning to think guests are really missing just plain old eggs now. When they stay at B&B's they get alot of casserole, fritatta, sweetie type meals and there is not just a simple scrambled egg. That is a main course, esp if they are piping hot and fresh eggs (farm fresh ideally).
Of course we were all told how - the most perfect food ever created - is bad for you and clogs arteries and all that fun stuff. Maybe like the high protein diet fad, the eggs-are-bad-for-you fad is coming to a close?
Lately I have served this to guests who have been on a B&B jaunt and they always gobble them up.
I stopped serving them except for longer stays like this thread mentions, after I had that British pompish jerk say to me as I was serving the plates "Did you ever think that maybe someone doesn't LIKE eggs?" I said, "Well this is BREAKFAST you know, there's bound to be an egg in there somewhere."
Then went into the kitchen and kicked the dog. No, I didn't, but this man WAS asked in advance about dietary stuff. SOL.

I am beginning to think guests are really missing just plain old eggs now. When they stay at B&B's they get alot of casserole, fritatta, sweetie type meals and there is not just a simple scrambled egg. That is a main course, esp if they are piping hot and fresh eggs (farm fresh ideally).
Of course we were all told how - the most perfect food ever created - is bad for you and clogs arteries and all that fun stuff. Maybe like the high protein diet fad, the eggs-are-bad-for-you fad is coming to a close?
Lately I have served this to guests who have been on a B&B jaunt and they always gobble them up.
I stopped serving them except for longer stays like this thread mentions, after I had that British pompish jerk say to me as I was serving the plates "Did you ever think that maybe someone doesn't LIKE eggs?" I said, "Well this is BREAKFAST you know, there's bound to be an egg in there somewhere."
Then went into the kitchen and kicked the dog. No, I didn't, but this man WAS asked in advance about dietary stuff. SOL..
I agree...seems like sometimes just a plain ol' breakfast might be in order. I will do that here and serve the regular Southern breakfast.

WOW.. you all have given me "Food for thought". hee hee :) thanks for all the help. I have till Aug. 29th to 'create' it.

Then went into the kitchen and kicked the dog. No, I didn't, but this man WAS asked in advance about dietary stuff. SOL..
so glad you feel this way, too.
i haven't yet made any egg dishes except quiche.
i serve eggs either scrambled or fried - guest's choice - every other day -- and they DO like them. they are fresh from the farm, delivered each monday, and they are really good. i am not knocking frittata and other recipes, i just have never tried making them.
for those that don't want eggs, i usually know ahead of time. but if they haven't told me, they can take all the side stuff or have cereal. a rude guest is a usually a rude person in their daily life. why spend your life being a grump? i don't know.

i serve eggs either scrambled or fried - guest's choice - every other day -- and they DO like them. they are fresh from the farm, delivered each monday, and they are really good. i am not knocking frittata and other recipes, i just have never tried making them.
for those that don't want eggs, i usually know ahead of time. but if they haven't told me, they can take all the side stuff or have cereal. a rude guest is a usually a rude person in their daily life. why spend your life being a grump? i don't know.
I think we should just smile at the grumps and go on with our day
regular_smile.gif
That's just the way some people are & you can't change their personality. No sense in letting it get you down!
teeth_smile.gif

One couple this morning did not want pancakes & sausage. She asked if we just had whole wheat for toast. That was easy enough. Then he wanted eggs. That was not happening. Dining room full and I am not taking multiple orders for different foods. Toast fine. More pans for eggs? Not fine.

I just finished a 5-nighter and this is what I served them:
B1: banana waffles with grilled peach compote, back bacon
B2: spinach & cheddar omelet, baby potatoes, toast
B3: blueberry oatmeal pancakes (hand-picked the wild blueberries the evening before) with maple blueberry sauce, homemade sausage patties
B4: summer vegetable & boconccini frittata with yogurt hollandaise, back bacon & tomato slices, toast
B5: bread pudding with strawberry compote & fresh strawberries, orange-honey ham slices
Every breakfast starts with a fruit course which also changes every day. Usually 3 different fruits with different toppings. Sometimes I repeat a fruit but I don't repeat a combination of fruits. Toppings might be thickened sweetened yogurt, vanilla bean syrup, orange ginger sauce, turbinado sugar. Sometimes with long stays I do a fruit/yogurt smoothie as the fruit course (did that on day 3 this time).
I also put out a different baked good each morning. This time I did: lemon loaf, banana bread, cheddar scones, raspberry muffins, rhubarb cake.
The longest stay I've had is 10 nights. I did a different main course for the first 9 brekkies. For their last day I asked if they had a favourite they'd like to repeat (they chose Red River waffles).

I have two overlapping 7 nighters coming up...Have had a few 7 nighters and one 2 week stay, since we opened last year. Usually they don't want the full brekkie everyday, because they will gain 20 lbs by the end of the trip! So sometimes we ask if they just want to do full on weekends when we have a full house and lighter during the week or when it's just them. Sometimes they just want a yogurt, bowl of oatmeal, coffee or smoothie....
Sample Menu for full 7 day stay:
Norwegian Pancakes, rosemary potatoes, bacon, scrambled eggs
Italian Frittata, belgian waffle with fruit, canadian bacon
Vegetarian chorizo with eggs, tortillas, spanish potatoes, salsa and melon
Aebleskivers, egg scramble with veggies, sausage,
Seasonal Omelet, french toast, fruit, potato pancakes
Southwest scramble with cornbread, honey butter, country potatoes, breakfast meat
Egg souffle, scones with homemade jam and seasonal fruit slices

Back