Breakfast Images

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you could photography anything for your BREAKFAST PAGE or share online a BREAKFAST IMAGE what would it be? A close up of a plate of food, or a photo fo a beautifully set table?
If you had to choose JUST ONE, which would it be?
Jumping Rocks Food and Dining Portfolio just totally intimidated me. My food just doesn't look anywhere close to this...I am already defeated. This is one area that should be left up to the experts. ho hum...I was brave and ready to do this for a minute or two...

Food. The table is the sizzle but the food is the steak.
OK, here's me who still hasnt taken new room shots...don't let the experts get you down! You can do this.

For me it would be food! a table is a table but....... a picture of food ! says it all. After all we are BREAKFAST! Look at all those food blogs doesn't it want to you try some of those recipes.? pictures speak louder then words.
I know trying to get just the right light for a food pix is hard. But keep trying . As some pictures will be good and some will be better.

Sigh......................
My bribery for my poll workers (the last of it anyway) is in the oven. Pretzels! The house smells good anyway.

Joey Bloggs said:
This is one area that should be left up to the experts. ho hum...I was brave and ready to do this for a minute or two...
No! I think they (Jumping Rocks Mark and Matthew) would be the first to tell you that. They got four or five great shots of breakfast at my place and it was just what I served them. No special cooked food, no special lights or gels - I didn't even schedule them to take food shots for me because I didn't think it was that important. I think those were some of the best photos they took.
Find that workshop they did at PAII online - I think it's on their blog.

My bribery for my poll workers (the last of it anyway) is in the oven. Pretzels! The house smells good anyway..
gillumhouse said:
My bribery for my poll workers (the last of it anyway) is in the oven. Pretzels! The house smells good anyway.
We made pretzels for the first time in our lives this past Sunday afternoon. I bow to you, I am not a yeast and dough person, so it was much more of a chore here than in your place. :)
They turned out great, but we probably wont make them for a while. BTW If I gave these to guests and they didn't eat them I might toss the mustard at them. I am temperamental when it comes to labor or love in the food arena. Too many times I have done this and had a guest not touch it or take one bite, to act like they tried it then I have to throw it away.
Good for you pretzel lady!

Joey Bloggs said:
This is one area that should be left up to the experts. ho hum...I was brave and ready to do this for a minute or two...
No! I think they (Jumping Rocks Mark and Matthew) would be the first to tell you that. They got four or five great shots of breakfast at my place and it was just what I served them. No special cooked food, no special lights or gels - I didn't even schedule them to take food shots for me because I didn't think it was that important. I think those were some of the best photos they took.
Find that workshop they did at PAII online - I think it's on their blog..
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Find that workshop they did at PAII online - I think it's on their blog.
When I get brave again. I think the key is simplicity and color, and lighting. I thought I might do as another innmate here did and set a table outside to get the better natural light, but today itis overcast and shadowy out there.
I will I will...
Yeah JR take photos not even meaning to get great shots and get them! haha Typical!

I love that shot one the innmates has of the syrup pouring out! Is that Maddy? (can't quite remember)

It is NOT an easy task. I have been experimenting for a while with a photo here or there. But last week spent a full morning taking shots of 3 different dishes, some inside, some outside, full place settings, some close up shots. It was exausting and near the end some of those dishes were not fit for view; tomato slices had started running juice faster than I could keep it clean on the plate, egg dishes started to whilt....
All in all I got one, yes ONE good shot worth using. I did find which setting worked the best on the camera and it wasn't the one marked food either! And I also found where the best lighting was and what time of day so things were accomplished just very time consuming and no promises that the settings, lighting etc. will be right the next attempt. But I am now game to try for more, but now I will just make an extra of my morning's breakfast and have a field day with that one dish hopefully to get at least one good shot.
Good luck to any game to attempt this, wish I had the money to hire a pro, just not in the cards right now.

I love to see some of the photos close up of a beautifully set table, but the food is what makes people's mouths water.
tounge_smile.gif

Your food photos are outstanding, JB! Don't be discouraged...I can almost taste the food in your pics....

My worry would be if my food in person would look and taste as good as photo shots.

Definitely food images. It's a good idea to have a table shot also, but really, it's the food that matters. JB, you've got some terrific shots. It's trial and error and best done when there are no guests breakfasts to get out!
Last week I spent a day with a photographer who happens to be DH's cousin. He does fabulous landscape and wedding photos, but has never done food before. We spent all day doing food shots of the dinner we serve and I was his assistant. I learned a bit more about lighting and he learned a few tricks from me too. It was exhausting, but both of us had a great time. The best part about it was that it's a barter arrangement. I'm anxiously awaiting the final results. No, wait...the best part was we got to eat all the food afterwards! LOL

Food. The table is the sizzle but the food is the steak.
OK, here's me who still hasnt taken new room shots...don't let the experts get you down! You can do this..
I love some of the food shots both you and JB have on your sites. EXCELLENT!

I too am intimidated by their food images. Mine isn't nearly as good. My friends looked at the my pics of my macaron and told me that they were expecting them to be larger. I posted pics to my facebook of yesterday's breakfast and it's just a shot from above and certainly not as interesting.

I love that shot one the innmates has of the syrup pouring out! Is that Maddy? (can't quite remember).
Breakfast Diva said:
I love that shot one the innmates has of the syrup pouring out! Is that Maddy? (can't quite remember)
Uh it's all of us! haha I can tell you where WE all got it from. I think I was #1 to copy, then Maddie #2 and so on and so on... It is a "collective photo share idea" and in fact I just saturated some waffles taking it again. THAT shot has to be last. although it did give them a nice sheen!
All it takes is one strawberry crown to be a little dark to ruin a photo. I took them and then added the bacon and it looked too busy, but dang it, waffles have got to have bacon! :)
I even took a photo of the table I am using where the food is for the blog to show the food photography process. ugh. I forgot I put the blueberries in the freezer, so I took them out and they are icy of course had to soak them in water to get them back to normal color, not whitish. My syrup was sweating as well, condensation, and was I!

I love that shot one the innmates has of the syrup pouring out! Is that Maddy? (can't quite remember).
Breakfast Diva said:
Uh it's all of us! haha I can tell you where WE all got it from. I think I was #1 to copy, then Maddie #2 and so on and so on... It is a "collective photo share idea" and in fact I just saturated some waffles taking it again. THAT shot has to be last. although it did give them a nice sheen!
All it takes is one strawberry crown to be a little dark to ruin a photo. I took them and then added the bacon and it looked too busy, but dang it, waffles have got to have bacon! :)
I even took a photo of the table I am using where the food is for the blog to show the food photography process. ugh. I forgot I put the blueberries in the freezer, so I took them out and they are icy of course had to soak them in water to get them back to normal color, not whitish. My syrup was sweating as well, condensation, and was I!
When we took shots last week of the dinners, I used frozen veggies and just rinsed them in cold water. The colors were so vivid and beautiful!
I didn't know that more of you used that great syrup shot! LOL I saw the one you did this morning on FB and it's good, but the colors seemed a bit red/dark to me. It could be my monitor. You're definitely on the right track though!

Breakfast Diva said:
When we took shots last week of the dinners, I used frozen veggies and just rinsed them in cold water. The colors were so vivid and beautiful!
I didn't know that more of you used that great syrup shot! LOL I saw the one you did this morning on FB and it's good, but the colors seemed a bit red/dark to me. It could be my monitor. You're definitely on the right track though!
Breakfast Diva said:
No those weren't new images.

Just so you know I am going to share one or two, if I even got one or two worthy of sharing, but BUT there is no retaking them, so whatever comments you make I will thumb my nose at, or blow raspberries to.
cheers.gif

The waffles are DOWN THE HATCH.
chef.gif
BYE BYE WAFFLES. I broke my rule of K.I.S.S. but such is life, I am always breaking rules...
Click here (hopefully this twitter image will work for you)
Click here (for second image showing a Mason jar) I know, but I have my reasons...this is actually a square Mason from CANADA - there was beetroot in this jar from the Great Plains of Canada (I think you call it the Canadian Prairies, I like to use things I am given and give back)

My worry would be if my food in person would look and taste as good as photo shots..
Olga said:
My worry would be if my food in person would look and taste as good as photo shots.
As long as you don't go crazy for the photo most people just love the idea that it looks 'like' the photo and tastes great!
I will admit to using different plates for the photos because my regular plates have too much going on that distracts the eye when it's a photo.

Just so you know I am going to share one or two, if I even got one or two worthy of sharing, but BUT there is no retaking them, so whatever comments you make I will thumb my nose at, or blow raspberries to.
cheers.gif

The waffles are DOWN THE HATCH.
chef.gif
BYE BYE WAFFLES. I broke my rule of K.I.S.S. but such is life, I am always breaking rules...
Click here (hopefully this twitter image will work for you)
Click here (for second image showing a Mason jar) I know, but I have my reasons...this is actually a square Mason from CANADA - there was beetroot in this jar from the Great Plains of Canada (I think you call it the Canadian Prairies, I like to use things I am given and give back).
Those shots are really good!

Back