breakfast journal??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcharm

Reaction score
Do you keep track of what you serve for breakfast everyday? If so.. what works best to track what you've cooked? what doesn't work?

Yes! We started this because we have many repeaters, and I wanted to be sure they were getting at least a little bit of variety. I just write in my schedule book what I served for each morning.

I have guest mgmt software with a huge notes section, I put it there.

This may be an odd way to do it but we use a dayplanner, small, pocket size to do the grocery shopping. We can look and see what groceries were purchased so we then know what was served for breakfast the next day.
Keeping a journal is an excellent idea, especially if you get a lot of repeat guests. You can look and see what they had 2 or 3 days before and make something different.
We get a lot of guests who are here for guided fishing trips. They come in one day just to be close by for their early morning start and then they come back for another couple of nights when the trip is over. They may be gone a couple of days or a week. We try to not serve them the same thing each time they are here.
We've tried writing the breakfast menu in our guest calendar but we keep forgetting if the breakfast we wrote down was what we served that morning or to the guests who were booked in that night so the grocery list is easier.

I have guest mgmt software with a huge notes section, I put it there..
Same here. But I have also found that what we serve is usually so different from what they normally have for breakfast that they don't mind having the same entree they had the last time they were here.
By the way how do you get the little box with what the previous person said to appear in your reply?

This may be an odd way to do it but we use a dayplanner, small, pocket size to do the grocery shopping. We can look and see what groceries were purchased so we then know what was served for breakfast the next day.
Keeping a journal is an excellent idea, especially if you get a lot of repeat guests. You can look and see what they had 2 or 3 days before and make something different.
We get a lot of guests who are here for guided fishing trips. They come in one day just to be close by for their early morning start and then they come back for another couple of nights when the trip is over. They may be gone a couple of days or a week. We try to not serve them the same thing each time they are here.
We've tried writing the breakfast menu in our guest calendar but we keep forgetting if the breakfast we wrote down was what we served that morning or to the guests who were booked in that night so the grocery list is easier..
You go grocery shopping every day for the next day?

Same here. But I have also found that what we serve is usually so different from what they normally have for breakfast that they don't mind having the same entree they had the last time they were here.
By the way how do you get the little box with what the previous person said to appear in your reply?
JeannineIrish said:
Hit the button that says 'quote' (right next to 'reply') and then write what you want to underneath the [ / quote. If you don't then what you say ends up in the box! Doing it that way gives you who said what you quoted. To just have the blue box with no names in it, copy what you want, paste it into the new reply box, highlight it and use the " symbol.

We've tried writing the breakfast menu in our guest calendar but we keep forgetting if the breakfast we wrote down was what we served that morning or to the guests who were booked in that night so the grocery list is easier..
Breakfast Diva said:
We do not have any place to store supplies so we do go everyday. We are lucky to have a grocery store in town even though everything else is miles away. We look at it as a way to get out of the house for a little bit every day. No excuses, someone has to go! I think it keeps us both sane in the summer.

We record it in the notes section in our guest managment system. (it's a bit of hassle on the entry, but it is less hassle when you are looking up someone that is staying for the 6th time.)
Some place I had a wish list for Guest managment systems and said I wished there was a food log so you could enter what you prepared each day and it would automatically associate it with the people that stayed on that date. To my knowledge, nobody has run with the idea yet. :(

The other day as I was making breakfast - too late to make anything else of course - and I stopped thinking "Oh no! I made this for them yesterday" and then it dawned on me that it was someone else. I make the egg bake w/English muffin bread so much because it is easy and guests love it. I rarely have someone return a week later although it has happened.

i just use a notebook and plan about a week ahead of time. My purpose for doing it is so that if someone is here for 10 days, then we don't serve them the same thing on day 8 that was served on day 3.
just a regular spiral notebook and pen/pencil. no need to complicate things, it's just that easy.

Very small here.. so what B'fast food they ordered I write on their reservation sheet. Made my own reservation forms and on the right side I have ..Day 1 .Day 2 etc. Had one lady who ordered sausgae gravy & rolls four days straight
tounge_smile.gif
..Mary inBridgewater

JeannineIrish said:
Hit the button that says 'quote' (right next to 'reply') and then write what you want to underneath the [ / quote. If you don't then what you say ends up in the box! Doing it that way gives you who said what you quoted. To just have the blue box with no names in it, copy what you want, paste it into the new reply box, highlight it and use the " symbol.
MooseTrax said:
JeannineIrish said:
Thanks

Back