breakfast nightmare!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Don't use HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM in place of BUTTERMILK in a recipe!
LOL! I made gingerbread waffles today using a new recipe. It was a disaster! so I threw out the recipe and everything! Remade with old recipe! AGAIN Disaster! but salvageable, kinda like sponge cake! Couldn't figure out what happened.
Went to get the whipping cream to whip, and guess what? Yep, I switched the whipping cream for the buttermilk. Don't try it. I was out of time... had to serve them. But Guests loved them! (or else they were just being kind!).
LOL! First time ever that breakfast was a disaster! (at least in my opinion).

We once did a blueberry french toast without the sugar. Oops..
Madeleine said:
We once did a blueberry french toast without the sugar. Oops.
teeth_smile.gif
LOLing!!!

Sunshine said:
From 0% to 35% in one easy step. Believe it or not, you could have saved the recipe with some baking powder, cream of tartar or lemon juice. The buttermilk is acidic, while the cream isn't. So it likely had baking soda as the leavening agent and missed the acid to make the bubbles.

Madeleine said:
What sugar?
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
What sugar?
Baked french toast called for 1/2 c sugar. Since that time DH absolutely refuses to make that recipe again. Even tho I pointed out we were MISSING an ingredient! So now we make blueberry-lemon FT and cook it on the griddle.

Madeleine said:
What sugar?
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
What sugar?
Baked french toast called for 1/2 c sugar. Since that time DH absolutely refuses to make that recipe again. Even tho I pointed out we were MISSING an ingredient! So now we make blueberry-lemon FT and cook it on the griddle.
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
What sugar?
Ahh BAKED.

You must have missed my posting recently about using lemon juice or vinegar in milk to use as a substitute for butter milk :-( 1 tablespoon per cup of milk.

You must have missed my posting recently about using lemon juice or vinegar in milk to use as a substitute for butter milk :-( 1 tablespoon per cup of milk..
EmptyNest said:
You must have missed my posting recently about using lemon juice or vinegar in milk to use as a substitute for butter milk :-( 1 tablespoon per cup of milk.
No, no, I didn't. I HAD buttermilk! I just grabbed the wrong carton!!! TWICE!

Sunshine said:
From 0% to 35% in one easy step. Believe it or not, you could have saved the recipe with some baking powder, cream of tartar or lemon juice. The buttermilk is acidic, while the cream isn't. So it likely had baking soda as the leavening agent and missed the acid to make the bubbles..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Sunshine said:
From 0% to 35% in one easy step. Believe it or not, you could have saved the recipe with some baking powder, cream of tartar or lemon juice. The buttermilk is acidic, while the cream isn't. So it likely had baking soda as the leavening agent and missed the acid to make the bubbles.
The problem is, I "THOUGHT" I grabbed the buttermilk and didn't even realize I had grabbed the whipping cream until two batches later when I went looking for the whipping cream to whip! Couldn't find it, saw the buttermilk carton, and thought, "oh no I didn't!" went over to the trash where I had thrown the empty carton and yep... it was Heavy Whipping Cream! Maybe I was half asleep this morning! LOL!

Sunshine said:
From 0% to 35% in one easy step. Believe it or not, you could have saved the recipe with some baking powder, cream of tartar or lemon juice. The buttermilk is acidic, while the cream isn't. So it likely had baking soda as the leavening agent and missed the acid to make the bubbles..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Sunshine said:
The problem is, I "THOUGHT" I grabbed the buttermilk and didn't even realize I had grabbed the whipping cream until two batches later when I went looking for the whipping cream to whip! Couldn't find it, saw the buttermilk carton, and thought, "oh no I didn't!" went over to the trash where I had thrown the empty carton and yep... it was Heavy Whipping Cream! Maybe I was half asleep this morning! LOL!
Well, I hope no one was on a diet :)

You must have missed my posting recently about using lemon juice or vinegar in milk to use as a substitute for butter milk :-( 1 tablespoon per cup of milk..
EmptyNest said:
No, no, I didn't. I HAD buttermilk! I just grabbed the wrong carton!!! TWICE!
Oh... I got it
wink_smile.gif

Now I understand.

Back