Breakfast No Show

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefS.

Reaction score
This guest stayed tuesday and wednesday. He was a corp. guest so he only guests the cont. breakfast as all corp guests do. Tuesday night he asked to be upgraded to a full breakfast which is fine, its just a small additional fee. He even asked for something specific, which is also fine. The part thats not fine - he never showed up to breakfast! When he came down to check out 1.5 hours after breakfast was over he asked to eat then and I explained that breakfast was over at 9:00. I did not end up charging him to upgrade breakfast, even though it was made for him and then thrown away. He was still very rude about it. When I got in this morning I saw that he has checked back in and wanted a breakfast upgrade again! He has 30 minutes to get to breakfast or he misses it. Should he be charged for breakfast regardless? I mean it is being made especially for him?? What would you all do

Make sure he understands the time frame in which breakfast is served and, if he's alright with that, charge him. He is paying for YOUR breakfast that you serve within an allotted time frame. If he's a no-show, then that's his problem.
I think the majority of us here serve one "complimentary" breakfast, which simplifies the matter. That way the breakfast is included in the room price whether he eats or not.
DW and I have a binder in the rooms that spells out the policies of our B&B and in it we state that breakfast is served hot at 8:30. I joke that it's served warm at 8:45 and cold at 9:00. If we only have one couple staying, we can be flexible with the time.

Hard to say without knowing all the details and being there.
I did have a similar situation 2 weeks ago, he finally showed up and mentioned he was hung over. The next day he showed up late again and since he was here a couple days (a dr) I decided to hold it til I saw the white of his eyes - which was always an hour AFTER the time he said he wanted to eat. He was never rude, just a wacky person.
Just bide your time...you never know what is going on with people!

Make sure he understands the time frame in which breakfast is served and, if he's alright with that, charge him. He is paying for YOUR breakfast that you serve within an allotted time frame. If he's a no-show, then that's his problem.
I think the majority of us here serve one "complimentary" breakfast, which simplifies the matter. That way the breakfast is included in the room price whether he eats or not.
DW and I have a binder in the rooms that spells out the policies of our B&B and in it we state that breakfast is served hot at 8:30. I joke that it's served warm at 8:45 and cold at 9:00. If we only have one couple staying, we can be flexible with the time..
I understand your comlimentary breakfast. We do that as well. A full breakfast is included in your room rate if you are paying full price. All corperate guests get a cont. breakfast and if they would like the full breakfast they pay to upgrade, Times and prices are VERY clearly stated when you check in as well as in you inn room guide. He has been here for three days and the understands the policies. Maybe I'm just being a little over sensitive this morning but I feel like you know the rules and I don't have all day to wait on you to show up to breakfast

DW and I have a binder in the rooms that spells out the policies of our B&B and in it we state that breakfast is served hot at 8:30. I joke that it's served warm at 8:45 and cold at 9:00. If we only have one couple staying, we can be flexible with the time..
I understand your comlimentary breakfast. We do that as well. A full breakfast is included in your room rate if you are paying full price. All corperate guests get a cont. breakfast and if they would like the full breakfast they pay to upgrade, Times and prices are VERY clearly stated when you check in as well as in you inn room guide. He has been here for three days and the understands the policies. Maybe I'm just being a little over sensitive this morning but I feel like you know the rules and I don't have all day to wait on you to show up to breakfast
StefS. said:
I began to write something about continentals, then deleted it. This thread was out of frustration, not to get advice on how you operate. Sometimes we answer every thread this way...it is almost a habit here.
You are correct in feeling his bad treatment of you. He is thinking only of himself. Many business guests are this way, they think they are only one person so it doesn't make a big difference. They don't care that you are waiting on him. HANG IN THERE!

Put it on a tray , put it outside of his door and KNOCK say YOUR BREAKFAST IS HERE...you made it, you delivered ..if he doesn't eat it that is his tough luck. CHARGE HIM!

How often does he stay? Is he likely to return? If the answer is yes consider biting of the tongue and eating a lovely breakfast this morning to reward yourself. If the answer is no, considering this is not the first time he pulled this, CHARGE IT!!
Meanwhile I will give you the answer I wish DH would give (the only response I want from him even) when I go on a rant. Poor Baby....

i like the idea of delivering the breakfast to his door.
knock knock 'good morning. your breakfast is here. we are closing down the kitchen.'
do you have the times of breakfast posted in the rooms? i do, because people forget what you tell them and they don't listen ... being all wrapped up in their own stuff.
ps in my life before running a b&b, and being a guest, i did NOT understand what the big deal was about breakfast time. why was it a problem to scramble me some eggs?
there was no sign in the room and no alarm clock so of course i overslept th 8:30 time is up. went down to the breakfast room as breakfast had just ended and there was nothing left but tepid coffee. i was upset, they were upset with me. i felt like THEY were wrong because how was i to know breakfast time? they either thought i knew (because it's on their website) or thought they had told me. hard lesson to learn, but i learned it fast!

Corporate guests are used to more flexibility...they just are. This guy just figured it wasn't that big of a deal.
I like the breakfast tray for this guy for the next time too. Just drop off the breakfast & go. Then, the ball is in his court.
Guests that don't show for breakfast or are really late are the worst! Waiting, waiting, waiting... ugh!

Personally if he is not there by the end of breakfast, I would put the thing in a to go box. When he comes down, I would say "I hated to throw away this nice breakfast, and since our breakfast time is over, I packed it up for you". And yes I would charge if a special / full breakfast had been requested.

Corporate guests are used to more flexibility...they just are. This guy just figured it wasn't that big of a deal.
I like the breakfast tray for this guy for the next time too. Just drop off the breakfast & go. Then, the ball is in his court.
Guests that don't show for breakfast or are really late are the worst! Waiting, waiting, waiting... ugh!.
Samster said:
Guests that don't show for breakfast or are really late are the worst! Waiting, waiting, waiting... ugh!
If, after leaving the breakfast at the door, he continues this behavior, I would be tempted to serve his breakfast under the crack at the bottom of the door.

StefS. said:
I began to write something about continentals, then deleted it. This thread was out of frustration, not to get advice on how you operate. Sometimes we answer every thread this way...it is almost a habit here.
You are correct in feeling his bad treatment of you. He is thinking only of himself. Many business guests are this way, they think they are only one person so it doesn't make a big difference. They don't care that you are waiting on him. HANG IN THERE!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
...This thread was out of frustration, not to get advice on how you operate.
Hello!
poke.gif
In her intial query she said,"...what would you do?" That dear friend sounds like she WAS asking for advice.
regular_smile.gif

Personally if he is not there by the end of breakfast, I would put the thing in a to go box. When he comes down, I would say "I hated to throw away this nice breakfast, and since our breakfast time is over, I packed it up for you". And yes I would charge if a special / full breakfast had been requested..
agoodman1963 said:
Personally if he is not there by the end of breakfast, I would put the thing in a to go box. When he comes down, I would say "I hated to throw away this nice breakfast, and since our breakfast time is over, I packed it up for you". And yes I would charge if a special / full breakfast had been requested.
That's a nice touch! That way you look like a saint
angel_smile.gif
and it puts the blame on the cold breakfast where it belongs.
devil_smile.gif

StefS. said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Hello!
poke.gif
In her intial query she said,"...what would you do?" That dear friend sounds like she WAS asking for advice.
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Hello!
poke.gif
regular_smile.gif
What would you do in this situation, not how to run her breakfasts. Which is what I stated. Mentioning changing the methodology of serving business travelers etc.

StefS. said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Hello!
poke.gif
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Hello!
poke.gif
regular_smile.gif
What would you do in this situation, not how to run her breakfasts. Which is what I stated. Mentioning changing the methodology of serving business travelers etc.
I would change my methodology because it obviously is not working.
wow.gif

Back