Breakfast No Shows

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
It is never a surprise those guests who say 6pm check in and arrive at 9pm and then no show for breakfast.
Breakfast no shows are in my experience are aged between 25-30 years old. I have not seen these guests so I cannot confirm this, yet, but my gut tells me this is the case. If guests aren't at the table I always suggest the other start as you never know when the no-show will occur.

2 rooms no-showed this AM- one of the 'youngsters' who hit the road at 8 AM, the other was 'oldsters' who hit the road at 7 AM. Neither told us in advance they needed to leave early.
All of the 20-somethings who came for brekkie ate at the same time. Not a single one acknowledged the others the way most of the older crowd do.

No worries here, I and my two assistants eagerly enjoyed pecan pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, strawberries, kiwis, watermelon and sprite melon and juice and coffee. Quite delicious.
Should they show they will be told the breakfast was delicious, I know, I was up at 7am preparing it.
smileystooges.gif

If I had known better, I might think these two assistants had the guests tied up in their room to get to the breakfast themselves. LOL!

No worries here, I and my two assistants eagerly enjoyed pecan pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, strawberries, kiwis, watermelon and sprite melon and juice and coffee. Quite delicious.
Should they show they will be told the breakfast was delicious, I know, I was up at 7am preparing it.
smileystooges.gif

If I had known better, I might think these two assistants had the guests tied up in their room to get to the breakfast themselves. LOL!.
Peach upside down cake for this afternoon due to no shows.

smileystooges.gif

If I had known better, I might think these two assistants had the guests tied up in their room to get to the breakfast themselves. LOL!.
Oh my, wish I had been there to eat it!!!!! Wasting bacon should be punishable by torture.
Full house, no one even set foot out of their room until 8:50! We were ready to serve at 8. So then it was a mad dash to get everyone seated and they were all talkers so had to pry them out of the chairs to let the final set of people in. At least they were all very good natured about it. You just can never tell, Sat is usually an early start day for us...maybe they'll all be raring to go first thing tomorrow.

Now for the rest of the story...these guests are French and speak no English.
They came down at 11am and asked where is there breakfast? Then they said they had ordered the breakfast delivered to the room and were waiting for it. Well you may know my set up here, I deliver breakfast to two rooms, ONLY, and it says ONLY on the online form, the most expensive rooms. If you want it delivered you must book those rooms.
But of course they spoke no English, so said that was what they wanted.
It was a big mess.
I had to zip off to the store, and DH was in his grubbies working on the brick restoration outside. Fortunately I had a few slices of bacon and some egg I had put on a croissant, yeah don't laugh, a croissant, for DH's lunch. So he grabbed that and reheated sliced in half, tossed some strawberries on the plate and oj..and then, got out some Yoplait...yeah I told you not to laugh.
They are gone now. What a mess.

They came down at 11am and asked where is there breakfast? Then they said they had ordered the breakfast delivered to the room and were waiting for it. Well you may know my set up here, I deliver breakfast to two rooms, ONLY, and it says ONLY on the online form, the most expensive rooms. If you want it delivered you must book those rooms.
It was a big mess.
I had to zip off to the store, and DH was in his grubbies working on the brick restoration outside. Fortunately I had a few slices of bacon and some egg I had put on a croissant, yeah don't laugh, a croissant, for DH's lunch. So he grabbed that and reheated sliced in half, tossed some strawberries on the plate and oj..and then, got out some Yoplait...yeah I told you not to laugh.
They are gone now. What a mess..
You cannot make this stuff up!!!!!!!!!! Poor DH...I hope he got something else for his own lunch!

It was a big mess.
Sorry, they knew enough English to know they thought they ordered breakfast in their room. That's enough English for them to understand there's no breakfast at 11 AM. How the heck are they getting around if they know no English? Around here no problem. In your area?
Are these the late arrivals? Who were able to figure out how to get to their room in English?
If they truly don't know English, forgive me; but if they played the 'foreigner' card, shame on them.

It was a big mess.
oH MY...If they didn't speak English...how did they tell you they were in their room and that they ordered Breakfast in bed? Good grief...glad they are gone. Take a long slow deep breath!!!

It was a big mess.
Sorry, they knew enough English to know they thought they ordered breakfast in their room. That's enough English for them to understand there's no breakfast at 11 AM. How the heck are they getting around if they know no English? Around here no problem. In your area?
Are these the late arrivals? Who were able to figure out how to get to their room in English?
If they truly don't know English, forgive me; but if they played the 'foreigner' card, shame on them.
Morticia said:
Yes, my thoughts exactly.

They were very nice about it. They were probably embarrassed. But yeah if you smell the food and it doesn't arrive maybe go check on it? But they didn't.

We had folks from France last week who were not here by 6, hadn't phoned, etc. We typed up our normal self check-in letter and then put the whole thing into Google translator, cut and pasted the French version on one side, English on the other on our letterhead.
They were TICKLED! A few things not 100% accurate but they were very glad, they speak English but not perfectly and it was easier to read the instructions in French. Gotta love technology...

I just today posted a new page in the room binders. It says breakfast is served promptly at 8:30 (not 8:45 or 9:00 or whenever you decide to straggle in) This is also posted on our website and in the information they receive with their confirmation.
I further added the line, "Please let us know the night before if you will not be joining us for breakfast"
I'll let you know how it works. So far in the two years we've been open we've only had two no shows. One was a romantic couple who had better things to do than eat and the other was from newbies who didn't realize that they were to be fed each morning.
We've had some almost no shows too. A couple of times one person from a couple usually comes to tell us the other one "isn't feeling well" and so they'll be skipping breakfast. When they see the spread DW has laid out, they run back to tell the other what's being served and there is suddenly a miraculous recovery.
I don't think newbies understand that they are actually be fed a REAL HONEST TO GOD breakfast and so don't appreciate the effort and time that went into preparing it.
I try not to eat our breakfasts.....WAY too much butter.

I have that in the rooms about letting us know the night prior and on confirmations as well. But let's face it those who no show aren't gonna run down and tell you they will no show, they could care less.
BTW after cleaning the room from the French couple there was no door key. Dang it! DOUBLE DANG IT!!
I send a kid out to ask DH if he had it by chance, and she spots it outside on a wicker chair. Oh the insanity.
  1. Today we have a couple checking in from Upstate NY who called constantly to see what they can do while here...one night, I am sure they will get here late. What is it, a 10+ hour drive?
  2. Another room here for a dinner cruise package (with flowers and cider) and have to check in and get over there for this cruise, one night, on a gift certif.
  3. Then another for a picnic package, only one night, flowers cider, etc.
  4. The other no hassle guests are here two more nights.
I now have ONLY the cruise package on the website, after our gourmet caterer closed - yesterday was the last day - his storefront is for lease now as he is now only doing catering.

I just today posted a new page in the room binders. It says breakfast is served promptly at 8:30 (not 8:45 or 9:00 or whenever you decide to straggle in) This is also posted on our website and in the information they receive with their confirmation.
I further added the line, "Please let us know the night before if you will not be joining us for breakfast"
I'll let you know how it works. So far in the two years we've been open we've only had two no shows. One was a romantic couple who had better things to do than eat and the other was from newbies who didn't realize that they were to be fed each morning.
We've had some almost no shows too. A couple of times one person from a couple usually comes to tell us the other one "isn't feeling well" and so they'll be skipping breakfast. When they see the spread DW has laid out, they run back to tell the other what's being served and there is suddenly a miraculous recovery.
I don't think newbies understand that they are actually be fed a REAL HONEST TO GOD breakfast and so don't appreciate the effort and time that went into preparing it.
I try not to eat our breakfasts.....WAY too much butter..
Walk-ins here tend to not realize breakfast is included, even after I tell them. They look at the kitchen and ask, 'So, do you put out bagels or something in the morning or do I make my own breakfast?'
If you've ever attended a Dale Carnegie course, they never start them at a 'regular' time. They are always something like '8:32' or '7:58'. Apparently it attracts enough attention that it STICKS in the attendee's head better than a whole or half hour.

*wiping drool off monitor* Dang that's pretty! And the peaches are so good this year too. Enjoy it!!!

The gal from NY just called "We just drove by do you have a place to park"
KILL ME NOW PLEASE.
What part of the confirmation, the sign, anything don't you read lady!
I will wait and see if she calls again, we are parked, how do we get in?

KILL ME NOW PLEASE.
I will wait and see if she calls again, we are parked, how do we get in?.
I can just see the expression on your face! we have a sign on the front that says car park at the back and people come ring the bell and say where is the car park? we can see the sign says car park at the back but we don't know what to do? ie go round the back? LOL

KILL ME NOW PLEASE.
I will wait and see if she calls again, we are parked, how do we get in?.
Wow...providing parking for guests??? Now there's a novel idea..
WHAT goes through their tiny little brains???
If it's any consolation we are sitting here waiting for the last check-in, who said they'd be here at 2 pm. WHEE!

I can SO picture the look you gave her.
FYI, the check-in we are waiting for is from, wait for it.....NY!
The last three have been from the Empire State, we are usually pretty lucky with them in general...the best part is you really cannot offend them, so say whateva ya want!!!

Back