Breakfast on your website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...we West Coasters are picky, are we? Maybe healthier too! (I'm laughing here)
teeth_smile.gif

Ok. So we are going on a road trip soon and I've booked the B&B and told them that I'm a "picky" vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs or dairy or, of course meat.
You know it's not all that hard to make me happy. A bowl of porridge (who doesn't have oatmeal or even instant oatmeal), toast and jam, granola, fruit...it's not that hard.
I try to accommodate everyone as best as I can. I always ask ahead of time what their preferences are. If it's a late same day booking, that can be a different story because unless I can get to a store, them may get my breakfast! I think that people can be impolite by not telling you in advance what they can or cannot eat and then complain about it. Don't get much of that because I always ask!.
We ask, too, but it doesn't stop guests from looking at the breakfast board for the second time at 8 AM (the first time being check-in when it would have helped to tell me) and saying, 'I can't eat that, I'll have...' We, for one place, do not have porridge, oatmeal or anything like on hand and I wouldn't want to have it anyway as it is a mess to clean. This year I am making an attempt to ask those with dietary restrictions exactly what they do eat for breakfast. Mind you, not what they WANT, but what they eat. Most eat nothing but expect me to jump thru hoops.
If you were here you'd get yogurt and toast and fruit as you said. But you'd be amazed how many don't want those choices. Or, like someone else posted, they want all natural, organic, sustainable $5/pint yogurt! This ain't your mother's house.
I've had too many 'DR's' tell me about the wonderful clam chowdah they had for dinner as they are telling me they can't eat any dairy products.
I'd eat the toast and fruit but pass on the yogurt (dairy!). Thanks!
I'm not particularly fussy but do have some severe allergies to dairy (weird but cheese is different and doesn't bother me that much) and have a severe shellfish allergy (could die) so am very used to having to ask about everything. You never know what's in things and people's idea of vegetarian (or even shellfish) can mean something completely different than mine.
Perhaps I've just not been in this business as long as all of you (only 4 years) and haven't met people like you described. I don't think I'm quite that jaded yet and still enjoy meeting people and seeing their peculiarities.
vancouverislander said:
Perhaps I've just not been in this business as long as all of you (only 4 years) and haven't met people like you described. I don't think I'm quite that jaded yet and still enjoy meeting people and seeing their peculiarities.
Don't get me wrong. I love what I'm doing and I'm not jaded by the dietary restrictions folks. I just don't want to be a short order cook and that was my fear about listing different breakfast items. This summer will be our 9th busy season since buying our B&B. The 3 summer months are absolutely slamming around here. The last thing I need is for people to request a dish that I either don't have the ingredients for (our closest store is 25 minutes away) or can't do it because someone else can't eat it. During slower times I'd be much for flexible with requests.
I like the idea of having a web page about our breakfast and including the statement about it being the cooks choice.
NW BB said:
vancouverislander said:
Don't get me wrong. I love what I'm doing and I'm not jaded by the dietary restrictions folks. I just don't want to be a short order cook and that was my fear about listing different breakfast items. This summer will be our 9th busy season since buying our B&B. The 3 summer months are absolutely slamming around here. The last thing I need is for people to request a dish that I either don't have the ingredients for (our closest store is 25 minutes away) or can't do it because someone else can't eat it. During slower times I'd be much for flexible with requests.
I like the idea of having a web page about our breakfast and including the statement about it being the cooks choice.
"The beauty and the beast of innkeeping" = we all do it differently, and we all do it differently.
Guests say:
"Don't you offer a menu to choose what we want the night before?" (This said because the last inn did this). 'No, it's cooks choice. I can serve you short order like the diner down the street where everything is fried including the ice water, or I can serve you a beautiful delicious meal.'
"What time is breakfast served UNTIL?" 'Breakfast is at 9:00 a.m., by 9:30 it gets soggy, by 9:45 a.m., I eat it!'"
"I am sorry I don't eat eggs. I didn't know there would be eggs served at BREAKFAST" This after the person has been advised about 10 times by this point to let the host know if there is anything they can't or won't eat. 'Well good then, we actually have two choices this morning for breakfast, why didn't you say so earlier. Here are the two choices: 1) Take it. or 2) Leave it.

So...we West Coasters are picky, are we? Maybe healthier too! (I'm laughing here)
teeth_smile.gif

Ok. So we are going on a road trip soon and I've booked the B&B and told them that I'm a "picky" vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs or dairy or, of course meat.
You know it's not all that hard to make me happy. A bowl of porridge (who doesn't have oatmeal or even instant oatmeal), toast and jam, granola, fruit...it's not that hard.
I try to accommodate everyone as best as I can. I always ask ahead of time what their preferences are. If it's a late same day booking, that can be a different story because unless I can get to a store, them may get my breakfast! I think that people can be impolite by not telling you in advance what they can or cannot eat and then complain about it. Don't get much of that because I always ask!.
We ask, too, but it doesn't stop guests from looking at the breakfast board for the second time at 8 AM (the first time being check-in when it would have helped to tell me) and saying, 'I can't eat that, I'll have...' We, for one place, do not have porridge, oatmeal or anything like on hand and I wouldn't want to have it anyway as it is a mess to clean. This year I am making an attempt to ask those with dietary restrictions exactly what they do eat for breakfast. Mind you, not what they WANT, but what they eat. Most eat nothing but expect me to jump thru hoops.
If you were here you'd get yogurt and toast and fruit as you said. But you'd be amazed how many don't want those choices. Or, like someone else posted, they want all natural, organic, sustainable $5/pint yogurt! This ain't your mother's house.
I've had too many 'DR's' tell me about the wonderful clam chowdah they had for dinner as they are telling me they can't eat any dairy products.
I'd eat the toast and fruit but pass on the yogurt (dairy!). Thanks!
I'm not particularly fussy but do have some severe allergies to dairy (weird but cheese is different and doesn't bother me that much) and have a severe shellfish allergy (could die) so am very used to having to ask about everything. You never know what's in things and people's idea of vegetarian (or even shellfish) can mean something completely different than mine.
vancouverislander said:
NW BB said:
vancouverislander said:
"The beauty and the beast of innkeeping" = we all do it differently, and we all do it differently.
Guests say:
"Don't you offer a menu to choose what we want the night before?" (This said because the last inn did this). 'No, it's cooks choice. I can serve you short order like the diner down the street where everything is fried including the ice water, or I can serve you a beautiful delicious meal.'
"What time is breakfast served UNTIL?" 'Breakfast is at 9:00 a.m., by 9:30 it gets soggy, by 9:45 a.m., I eat it!'"
"I am sorry I don't eat eggs. I didn't know there would be eggs served at BREAKFAST" This after the person has been advised about 10 times by this point to let the host know if there is anything they can't or won't eat. 'Well good then, we actually have two choices this morning for breakfast, why didn't you say so earlier. Here are the two choices: 1) Take it. or 2) Leave it.
Eggs for breakfast?? Imagine that!!!

bree, really, no oatmeal in the house?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

that's what i have for breakfast 1/2 the time. well, actually, 3/4 of the time. cooked on the stove. sometimes with some raisins and/or nuts tossed in. sustains me til early afternoon. not that i look for it when i'm 'guesting'
as for asking for a vegan breakfast and then being 'over that' phase once they got there. i'm speechless..
No oatmeal that I would cook for a guest. I do have it for myself and for cookies. Altho I think I'm out right now. You know what it's like when you start hauling out pots and pans and serving different foods to different guests. You get grumbles, 'OH, if I had KNOWN I could ORDER my breakfast, I wouldn't have eaten THIS.' Who needs that nonsense when trying to feed 20 people?
And besides which, like I said, oatmeal is a pain to clean up after.
Oatmeal is not that bad cooked in the microwave - I eat it that way myself :)

Texas Tech University conducted a study in 2008 with PAII's help. The purpose of the study was to compare what consumers felt were important to see on a B&B website to what innkeepers thought were important to have on their website. 300 consumers were surveyed, as well as 300 innkeepers.
There was a relatively long list of items that consumers felt were more important than innkeepers, and photos of food and a list of menu items were on that list. In other words, consumers generally want to see photos of your beautiful food and would like to know what kinds of foods you will be serving...but innkeepers generally don't think it's that important to have that on the site.
The message? Put more quality photos of your food...spell out if you serve organic and/or local foods (a big hit these days), and give "examples" of meals you serve. I certainly suggest a sentence or two about how the menu changes daily and seasonally, and that you try to meet dietary restrictions. I like the idea of saying that each morning the meal served is the "Innkeeper's Choice."
We know that comparison shopping is on the rise, especially among affluent travelers. If someone is deciding between two B&Bs in the same market, and one happens to show photos of beautiful food and one doesn't, I have a feeling the one WITH photos and descriptions will win the business. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that some people would be swayed more by what they might eat in the morning than what room they might be sleeping in!
Jay

Texas Tech University conducted a study in 2008 with PAII's help. The purpose of the study was to compare what consumers felt were important to see on a B&B website to what innkeepers thought were important to have on their website. 300 consumers were surveyed, as well as 300 innkeepers.
There was a relatively long list of items that consumers felt were more important than innkeepers, and photos of food and a list of menu items were on that list. In other words, consumers generally want to see photos of your beautiful food and would like to know what kinds of foods you will be serving...but innkeepers generally don't think it's that important to have that on the site.
The message? Put more quality photos of your food...spell out if you serve organic and/or local foods (a big hit these days), and give "examples" of meals you serve. I certainly suggest a sentence or two about how the menu changes daily and seasonally, and that you try to meet dietary restrictions. I like the idea of saying that each morning the meal served is the "Innkeeper's Choice."
We know that comparison shopping is on the rise, especially among affluent travelers. If someone is deciding between two B&Bs in the same market, and one happens to show photos of beautiful food and one doesn't, I have a feeling the one WITH photos and descriptions will win the business. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that some people would be swayed more by what they might eat in the morning than what room they might be sleeping in!
Jay.
My money & my son went to Texas Tech
wink_smile.gif
Go Red Raiders!
As a traveler, I like to know what kinds of breakfast are served. It's important to me as the other "B" in bed and breakfast. Bring on the photos!!!

Our food page is noted that it's cook's choice - but occasionally we've had a guest or two say when they've say down at the table - I like my eggs fixed such and such a way.... gently we tell them, that this (something else) is what we're serving this morning. And because they like their egss fixed a certain way, we will try to incorporate that in another meal if they are staying longer. Some guests will let us know at time of reservation of dietary restrictions - our website requests that, but we always asked at time of check-in. fortunately Walmart is a mile down the road and we can get most subsitute items there.

Our food page is noted that it's cook's choice - but occasionally we've had a guest or two say when they've say down at the table - I like my eggs fixed such and such a way.... gently we tell them, that this (something else) is what we're serving this morning. And because they like their egss fixed a certain way, we will try to incorporate that in another meal if they are staying longer. Some guests will let us know at time of reservation of dietary restrictions - our website requests that, but we always asked at time of check-in. fortunately Walmart is a mile down the road and we can get most subsitute items there..
We had one guy last summer like that. Had already mentioned 'just plain eggs' for breakfast (heaven forbid someone should step out of their comfort zone on vacation!) and then started in on exactly HOW he wanted them made. I said, 'The cook makes scrambled eggs, do you want them runny or dry?' Then hubs said he would 'try' to make the guy's 'over medium' eggs. At which point the guest threw up his hands and asked if we wanted him to cook his own breakfast? Implication being we were total idiots for not being able to handle a simple request like over medium eggs (with toast and bacon, neither of which were on the menu that morning either).
When presented with the eggs, toast and sausage I asked were they ok? He looked at me again with that 'look' of 'how hard can this be?' and said they were ok. That couple won't be back.

Our food page is noted that it's cook's choice - but occasionally we've had a guest or two say when they've say down at the table - I like my eggs fixed such and such a way.... gently we tell them, that this (something else) is what we're serving this morning. And because they like their egss fixed a certain way, we will try to incorporate that in another meal if they are staying longer. Some guests will let us know at time of reservation of dietary restrictions - our website requests that, but we always asked at time of check-in. fortunately Walmart is a mile down the road and we can get most subsitute items there..
We had one guy last summer like that. Had already mentioned 'just plain eggs' for breakfast (heaven forbid someone should step out of their comfort zone on vacation!) and then started in on exactly HOW he wanted them made. I said, 'The cook makes scrambled eggs, do you want them runny or dry?' Then hubs said he would 'try' to make the guy's 'over medium' eggs. At which point the guest threw up his hands and asked if we wanted him to cook his own breakfast? Implication being we were total idiots for not being able to handle a simple request like over medium eggs (with toast and bacon, neither of which were on the menu that morning either).
When presented with the eggs, toast and sausage I asked were they ok? He looked at me again with that 'look' of 'how hard can this be?' and said they were ok. That couple won't be back.
Bree said:
Nor do you probably want them back

Back