Breakfast on your website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...we West Coasters are picky, are we? Maybe healthier too! (I'm laughing here)
teeth_smile.gif

Ok. So we are going on a road trip soon and I've booked the B&B and told them that I'm a "picky" vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs or dairy or, of course meat.
You know it's not all that hard to make me happy. A bowl of porridge (who doesn't have oatmeal or even instant oatmeal), toast and jam, granola, fruit...it's not that hard.
I try to accommodate everyone as best as I can. I always ask ahead of time what their preferences are. If it's a late same day booking, that can be a different story because unless I can get to a store, them may get my breakfast! I think that people can be impolite by not telling you in advance what they can or cannot eat and then complain about it. Don't get much of that because I always ask!.
We ask, too, but it doesn't stop guests from looking at the breakfast board for the second time at 8 AM (the first time being check-in when it would have helped to tell me) and saying, 'I can't eat that, I'll have...' We, for one place, do not have porridge, oatmeal or anything like on hand and I wouldn't want to have it anyway as it is a mess to clean. This year I am making an attempt to ask those with dietary restrictions exactly what they do eat for breakfast. Mind you, not what they WANT, but what they eat. Most eat nothing but expect me to jump thru hoops.
If you were here you'd get yogurt and toast and fruit as you said. But you'd be amazed how many don't want those choices. Or, like someone else posted, they want all natural, organic, sustainable $5/pint yogurt! This ain't your mother's house.
I've had too many 'DR's' tell me about the wonderful clam chowdah they had for dinner as they are telling me they can't eat any dairy products.
OHHHHHHHH.....now you've hit on one of my pet peeves! They say "no dairy, low sugar", then they have their hands in my cookie jar all day! My cookies are filled with butter and sugar and chocolate! When I see this, I don't go to any heroic efforts to eliminate that stuff from my breakfast.
One good thing about having breakfast that is delivered is that when we deliver it and go away. They uncover their breakfast in their room and if they don't like what's in it, they can just eat around it. I've never had someone come out of their room and ask for something else.
Now THAT is a great plan...deliver breakfast and run! I wish!
The worst for me was the very busy holiday weekend my cook (hubs) was in a motorcycle accident and I had to cook for vegans. I made a great casserole and presented it with a flourish, 'And this is my special soy sausage casserole, let me know how it tastes as I've never made anything strictly vegan before!'
Puzzled looks. 'Vegan?' I looked around the table and said, 'Yes, when you booked you said you were vegans.' Chuckles all around, 'Oh, that. Yeah, we're over that.'
If I hadn't had to feed another 6 guests with it, I would have dumped the rest of the casserole on their heads. All the trouble of buying all those products I never use, finding the recipe, hoping no one else would mind. But, I do have to say, it was pretty tasty and the other guests complimented the flavor.

So...we West Coasters are picky, are we? Maybe healthier too! (I'm laughing here)
teeth_smile.gif

Ok. So we are going on a road trip soon and I've booked the B&B and told them that I'm a "picky" vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs or dairy or, of course meat.
You know it's not all that hard to make me happy. A bowl of porridge (who doesn't have oatmeal or even instant oatmeal), toast and jam, granola, fruit...it's not that hard.
I try to accommodate everyone as best as I can. I always ask ahead of time what their preferences are. If it's a late same day booking, that can be a different story because unless I can get to a store, them may get my breakfast! I think that people can be impolite by not telling you in advance what they can or cannot eat and then complain about it. Don't get much of that because I always ask!.
vancouverislander said:
teeth_smile.gif

I try to accommodate everyone as best as I can. I always ask ahead of time what their preferences are. If it's a late same day booking, that can be a different story because unless I can get to a store, them may get my breakfast! I think that people can be impolite by not telling you in advance what they can or cannot eat and then complain about it. Don't get much of that because I always ask!
Vegetarian is the least of the worries in the picky food guest-world. Sure like most of us we have food we would PREFER, that is the thing that the West Coast comes dripping in with - me me me.
Like the couple from LA who showed up downstairs at 2pm and said "Where is our breakfast?" I said "Breakfast was at 9am" They replied "We do not ever eat before noon. So this is just not going to work for us." I told them "I Agree" and they checked out. Did I charge them a late fee or early check out fee leaving a day early? NO, he was a liar, ahem, lawyer and small man and would love for someone to confront him.
As a disclosure I was born and raised on the West Coast and also lived in the Pac NW for 11 years.
tounge_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

We ask, too, but it doesn't stop guests from looking at the breakfast board for the second time at 8 AM (the first time being check-in when it would have helped to tell me) and saying, 'I can't eat that, I'll have...' We, for one place, do not have porridge, oatmeal or anything like on hand and I wouldn't want to have it anyway as it is a mess to clean. This year I am making an attempt to ask those with dietary restrictions exactly what they do eat for breakfast. Mind you, not what they WANT, but what they eat. Most eat nothing but expect me to jump thru hoops.
If you were here you'd get yogurt and toast and fruit as you said. But you'd be amazed how many don't want those choices. Or, like someone else posted, they want all natural, organic, sustainable $5/pint yogurt! This ain't your mother's house.
I've had too many 'DR's' tell me about the wonderful clam chowdah they had for dinner as they are telling me they can't eat any dairy products.
I'd eat the toast and fruit but pass on the yogurt (dairy!). Thanks!
I'm not particularly fussy but do have some severe allergies to dairy (weird but cheese is different and doesn't bother me that much) and have a severe shellfish allergy (could die) so am very used to having to ask about everything. You never know what's in things and people's idea of vegetarian (or even shellfish) can mean something completely different than mine.
Perhaps I've just not been in this business as long as all of you (only 4 years) and haven't met people like you described. I don't think I'm quite that jaded yet and still enjoy meeting people and seeing their peculiarities.

teeth_smile.gif

I'm not particularly fussy but do have some severe allergies to dairy (weird but cheese is different and doesn't bother me that much) and have a severe shellfish allergy (could die) so am very used to having to ask about everything. You never know what's in things and people's idea of vegetarian (or even shellfish) can mean something completely different than mine.
Perhaps I've just not been in this business as long as all of you (only 4 years) and haven't met people like you described. I don't think I'm quite that jaded yet and still enjoy meeting people and seeing their peculiarities.
4 years here, too, and some lactose folks request yogurt. Or hard cheese vs soft cheese. That's why this year I ASK instead of trying to guess. So far, all the bookings have been 'no dietary restrictions' which is great. A couple of sugar problems but they've been here before so we know what they like that we make. And one of them just adjusts her insulin based on what we're serving.
And you know, it's not really the whole what can someone not eat that's the issue- it's the attitude that I should be able to prep anything at 9:30 in the morning. Sorry, we shop everyday and have NO extra anything on hand. If we weren't planning to serve toast, there's no bread. It's that close. The fridge is basically empty at 10 AM except for condiments.

Then there are those that are just overly thankful - love those!
Had a young lady this past weekend wrote: "Allergic to milk/cream/soft cheeses" on the online form. When serving her the breakfast, asked if she used creamer for her coffee..."I have soy milk" Her reply - 'Oh you are so very thoughtful..how wonderful" This went on even at check out...
That just makes up for the others...

teeth_smile.gif

OHHHHHHHH.....now you've hit on one of my pet peeves! They say "no dairy, low sugar", then they have their hands in my cookie jar all day! My cookies are filled with butter and sugar and chocolate! When I see this, I don't go to any heroic efforts to eliminate that stuff from my breakfast.
One good thing about having breakfast that is delivered is that when we deliver it and go away. They uncover their breakfast in their room and if they don't like what's in it, they can just eat around it. I've never had someone come out of their room and ask for something else.
And if you've had to accommodate a special diet, the other guests don't say, "ohhhhhhh...I'd rather have that!"
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
I haven't had this happen but I was staying with an innkeeper friend and she was trying to take care of my dh & our friend since they didn't eat baked grapefruit because of meds. (I told her just to not give them any fruit.) All of a sudden the entire dining room was clamoring for mixed fruit cups. ugh.

I think a separate breakfast page is a great idea...we have one. After all, it is our second "B", as someone else said.
regular_smile.gif
I go all out on breakfast and serve "innkeeper's choice". They get what they get. Of course, it's on the website & I ask again at check-in. I've had to make a minor adjustment a couple of times. I had a gal here for a week and a half in the Fall, she only got one breakfast repeated & it was because she requested it again.
regular_smile.gif
She was recently back for a week & was surprised that she didn't get the same breakfasts. I told her I have a few tricks left up my sleeve. tee hee...
Breakfast is one of the creative parts of this biz for me and I love it!
I keep soy milk in the pantry. I have lactose free milk since that's what we drink. I've had a few guests here on their own & they really don't want a big breakfast. I'll do oatmeal and serve raisins or dried cranberries on the side, yogurt, brown sugar, that kind of thing, with maybe toast and some kind of fresh fruit. Had some European business travelers and they just don't eat a big American breakfast. It's no big deal to make them happy, especially if they're coming back here frequently.
Most challenging guest was a vegan who was here for 4 nights but she taught me a lot, along with other members of the forum.
regular_smile.gif
She also pointed me in the direction of some good brands for vegans (fake cheese, margarine, that kind of thing which I promptly forgot the brands but they're only available one place here).
I recent guest said, "I don't eat lima beans". To which I replied, "We served them for breakfast yesterday, so you won't be getting them tomorrow".
wink_smile.gif

bree, really, no oatmeal in the house?

that's what i have for breakfast 1/2 the time. well, actually, 3/4 of the time. cooked on the stove. sometimes with some raisins and/or nuts tossed in. sustains me til early afternoon. not that i look for it when i'm 'guesting'
as for asking for a vegan breakfast and then being 'over that' phase once they got there. i'm speechless.

food photos definately play a major role...we have people comment all the time that the food photos look yummy. noone has ever specifically requested one of the things pictured on the site and surprisingly we do not have all that many "i can't eat that" remarks. once in a while we hae a nut allergy but people have never acted like they are in a restaurant or something.
good food photos can really seal the deal sometimes...just my opinion

teeth_smile.gif

vancouverislander said:
Don't get me wrong. I love what I'm doing and I'm not jaded by the dietary restrictions folks. I just don't want to be a short order cook and that was my fear about listing different breakfast items. This summer will be our 9th busy season since buying our B&B. The 3 summer months are absolutely slamming around here. The last thing I need is for people to request a dish that I either don't have the ingredients for (our closest store is 25 minutes away) or can't do it because someone else can't eat it. During slower times I'd be much for flexible with requests.
I like the idea of having a web page about our breakfast and including the statement about it being the cooks choice.

bree, really, no oatmeal in the house?

that's what i have for breakfast 1/2 the time. well, actually, 3/4 of the time. cooked on the stove. sometimes with some raisins and/or nuts tossed in. sustains me til early afternoon. not that i look for it when i'm 'guesting'
as for asking for a vegan breakfast and then being 'over that' phase once they got there. i'm speechless..
No oatmeal that I would cook for a guest. I do have it for myself and for cookies. Altho I think I'm out right now. You know what it's like when you start hauling out pots and pans and serving different foods to different guests. You get grumbles, 'OH, if I had KNOWN I could ORDER my breakfast, I wouldn't have eaten THIS.' Who needs that nonsense when trying to feed 20 people?
And besides which, like I said, oatmeal is a pain to clean up after.

food photos definately play a major role...we have people comment all the time that the food photos look yummy. noone has ever specifically requested one of the things pictured on the site and surprisingly we do not have all that many "i can't eat that" remarks. once in a while we hae a nut allergy but people have never acted like they are in a restaurant or something.
good food photos can really seal the deal sometimes...just my opinion.
mollysmom said:
Yeah, and you have great food photos, too! Wonderful presentation.

From a guest perspective, the breakfast page is one of the things I definitely want to see on a website. I'm actually less concerned with what you serve than with how and when you serve.

teeth_smile.gif

vancouverislander said:
Don't get me wrong. I love what I'm doing and I'm not jaded by the dietary restrictions folks. I just don't want to be a short order cook and that was my fear about listing different breakfast items. This summer will be our 9th busy season since buying our B&B. The 3 summer months are absolutely slamming around here. The last thing I need is for people to request a dish that I either don't have the ingredients for (our closest store is 25 minutes away) or can't do it because someone else can't eat it. During slower times I'd be much for flexible with requests.
I like the idea of having a web page about our breakfast and including the statement about it being the cooks choice.
NW BB said:
vancouverislander said:
Before I knew a lot about website design (yeah, like I know tons now) I scanned a 4 season menu in and posted that. No pix, just the menu. THAT got a lot of comments from guests who were trying to convince their husbands that it wasn't all quiche! And it did sell a few rooms. But, no one else around here was doing that back then.

From a guest perspective, the breakfast page is one of the things I definitely want to see on a website. I'm actually less concerned with what you serve than with how and when you serve..
IronGate said:
From a guest perspective, the breakfast page is one of the things I definitely want to see on a website. I'm actually less concerned with what you serve than with how and when you serve.
Good points! I need a new dining room pic and I'll post the times as well.

Have you all read the latest edition of the Innkeeper Quarterly? It gives a nice bit of research on what people want on websites, rather than what innkeepers think should be on their website.

teeth_smile.gif

I am fine with vegetarians or vegans but they will have to realize that when they announce to the when I'm serving my breakfast the first day of a three day stay that they don't like or eat eggs, I have a problem with that.
I don't like to serve sweet breakfasts two days in a row but in this situation I had no choice.
So they got banana macadamia nut pancakes the first day and french toast the second (since he announced he loved french toast) and a granola bake the third.
She mentioned that she loved quiche but that's too bad. With only two couples to feed I'm not going to the expense of two different breakfasts like that.
What gets me is the strict vegan that's walking around in expensive leather shoes....
Riki

Have you all read the latest edition of the Innkeeper Quarterly? It gives a nice bit of research on what people want on websites, rather than what innkeepers think should be on their website..
catlady said:
Have you all read the latest edition of the Innkeeper Quarterly? It gives a nice bit of research on what people want on websites, rather than what innkeepers think should be on their website.
Well, so it does! Another indicator of what guests want on the site is what pages get looked at. However, I wouldn't make my site smaller because this survey. Perhaps I'd tighten up individual pages, but all those extra pags are there for a reason!

teeth_smile.gif

And if you've had to accommodate a special diet, the other guests don't say, "ohhhhhhh...I'd rather have that!"
I haven't had this happen but I was staying with an innkeeper friend and she was trying to take care of my dh & our friend since they didn't eat baked grapefruit because of meds. (I told her just to not give them any fruit.) All of a sudden the entire dining room was clamoring for mixed fruit cups. ugh.
Samster said:
It always unnerves me when the entire dining room is clamoring for mixed fruit cups!
embaressed_smile.gif
(That one is quoteworthy for a book!)
I can picture the innkeeper walking out of the kitchen "STOP YOUR CLAMORING! COME ON PEOPLE - ENOUGH CLAMORING!"

good food photos can really seal the deal sometimes...just my opinion.
mollysmom said:
As long as what is presented to the guest is just as appealing! I felt bad as I had an innkeeper here recently and was going to make a special omelett and ended up just scramblin' the eggs and it didn't look that pretty, but we were eager to hit the road to visit another innkeeper.
shades_smile.gif

Back