Breakfast page!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good. I like how the pictures scroll thru. Once you have food pix, it will be great!
Spelling...souffle.
Links...your 'back to rooms' and 'book now' links are both showing up blue whereas all of the other links are kind of grayish. It's distracting. (To me.)

thats good. I have a question....maybe it is just because of my monitor size..but the background image to me is confusing....as only a small part of it shows...why bother??? I think it is part of your logo...but only seeing the far right side of it.:-(

Good job!
Thank you so much for sharing. So many folks with an opinion and critique on everything yet don't want to expose their identities or websites for viewing, that seeing one as nicely done as yours is a real treat.
Nice logo!
Is there a way to separate the musical icons from the text right below it?
Eliminating the redundancy of having it repeated right next to each other could allow enough room to upsize the musical note icons and accomplish the same message in a more compelling way.
What a lovely home and such tasteful decor. I love the solo mezzanine and the stairs leading up photos!
Did you take these yourself or hire someone?
Interspersing some more food item photos with the happy campers will be very nice.
I'm usually way turned off by audio in websites, but with your name, logo and musical theme, it might be something to consider.
Especially given how graceful your overall site is. Just be sure to include the option to turn it off or mute it for folks not into it.

Good job!
Thank you so much for sharing. So many folks with an opinion and critique on everything yet don't want to expose their identities or websites for viewing, that seeing one as nicely done as yours is a real treat.
Nice logo!
Eliminating the redundancy of having it repeated right next to each other could allow enough room to upsize the musical note icons and accomplish the same message in a more compelling way.
What a lovely home and such tasteful decor. I love the solo mezzanine and the stairs leading up photos!
Interspersing some more food item photos with the happy campers will be very nice.
I'm usually way turned off by audio in websites, but with your name, logo and musical theme, it might be something to consider.
Especially given how graceful your overall site is. Just be sure to include the option to turn it off or mute it for folks not into it..
Thanks for the comments everyone! Such a great, warm, friendly forum!
Tim:
I took most of the photos, and my helper took the breakfast shots, as well as the Mezzanine shots. I considered adding music to my website...but at the same time, I feel that it would annoy, more than attract. I think I'm going to add a video though sometime soon featuring some nice piano music that I may play myself.
About interspersing the breakfast shots...I agree....but it's hard to get people to agree to take their picture taken in the morning!! I definitely need to take more pictures of the breakfasts....but I can only do so when there is a quiet morning...so far, I have had one good, quiet morning to take a nice shot....But I'm sure I will be able to scrounge one up soon.
Bree, yeah I know it's kind of distracting...but I needed something to stand out....especially the BOOK ONLINE part.
Cat Lady: If you notice on the home page...the logo is kind of repeated in the text....the three columns ascending....an earlier layout I had featured all the notes translucent in the background...but I found it very cluttering...so I removed that, but I kept the end of it...just for pizzazz.

Good job!
Nice logo!
Especially given how graceful your overall site is. Just be sure to include the option to turn it off or mute it for folks not into it..
Tim:
I took most of the photos, and my helper took the breakfast shots, as well as the Mezzanine shots. I considered adding music to my website...but at the same time, I feel that it would annoy, more than attract. I think I'm going to add a video though sometime soon featuring some nice piano music that I may play myself.
About interspersing the breakfast shots...I agree....but it's hard to get people to agree to take their picture taken in the morning!! I definitely need to take more pictures of the breakfasts....but I can only do so when there is a quiet morning...so far, I have had one good, quiet morning to take a nice shot....But I'm sure I will be able to scrounge one up soon.
Bree, yeah I know it's kind of distracting...but I needed something to stand out....especially the BOOK ONLINE part.
Cat Lady: If you notice on the home page...the logo is kind of repeated in the text....the three columns ascending....an earlier layout I had featured all the notes translucent in the background...but I found it very cluttering...so I removed that, but I kept the end of it...just for pizzazz.
"About interspersing the breakfast shots...I agree....but it's hard to get people to agree to take their picture taken in the morning!!"
Actually, I meant to have "guests", "food", "guests", "food" or even not that many posed "guest" photos.
You've got a real graceful place and site and its just my opinion but the posed "hi, there" type shots of guests seem kind of irrelevant. Most people assume you'll have happy campers and just a few of those guest shots go a long way.
Show me the food!
Speaking of food? What is that stuff on top of your melon? Cream cheese?

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
How about a different color than blue, or a different color than THAT blue? For some reason that 'default link color' blue just doesn't appeal and it doesn't go with your site, which is overall very relaxing. A darker blue or something that goes more with the gray/taupe-y colors you already have? In a way it makes the site look unfinished to have that blue.
(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
I was looking at it as a guest might, albeit a guest with a strong aversion to that blue color!)

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
How about a different color than blue, or a different color than THAT blue? For some reason that 'default link color' blue just doesn't appeal and it doesn't go with your site, which is overall very relaxing. A darker blue or something that goes more with the gray/taupe-y colors you already have? In a way it makes the site look unfinished to have that blue.
(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
I was looking at it as a guest might, albeit a guest with a strong aversion to that blue color!)
"(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
I was looking at it as a guest might, albeit a guest with a strong aversion to that blue color!)"
I was thinking a guest who wants to scrutinize my home, but not pull the wallet photos of her own home out to share.

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
"About interspersing the breakfast shots...I agree....but it's hard to get people to agree to take their picture taken in the morning!!"
Actually, I meant to have "guests", "food", "guests", "food" or even not that many posed "guest" photos.
You've got a real graceful place and site and its just my opinion but the posed "hi, there" type shots of guests seem kind of irrelevant. Most people assume you'll have happy campers and just a few of those guest shots go a long way.
Show me the food!
it`s a slice of honeydew melon!

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
Hmmm, I think I know how you feel...I think I will do something about changing the default link colour...you just have to declare that in the body tag right? Maybe a maroon or...light burgandy...

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
Show me the food!
Nice idea! Mind if I share it with "Her Royal Highness" here?
She usually cubes most of the melon type items, but that is a really nice presentation.

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
Hmmm, I think I know how you feel...I think I will do something about changing the default link colour...you just have to declare that in the body tag right? Maybe a maroon or...light burgandy...
sonatainn said:
It looks like you have a font color in there now "&#9650" right before the words 'Book It'. And &#9668 where it says 'Back to rooms'. You could replace that with the correct color number and it should work. Or, something like this-
Code:
font color="#FFFFFF" and change the FFFFFF to the correct color number.  Either of the colors you're thinking about should work nicely.

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
Show me the food!
She usually cubes most of the melon type items, but that is a really nice presentation.
By all means! We also place a banana piece right beside the watermelon slice...guests love the presentation.

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
sonatainn said:
It looks like you have a font color in there now "&#9650" right before the words 'Book It'. And &#9668 where it says 'Back to rooms'. You could replace that with the correct color number and it should work. Or, something like this-
Code:
font color="#FFFFFF" and change the FFFFFF to the correct color number.  Either of the colors you're thinking about should work nicely.
Oh....#9650 is actually a pointer that makes the little triangle point up for Book...and to the left for Back to rooms.....I think I just have to declare in the body tag that all links have a particular colour.

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
sonatainn said:
Code:
Oh....#9650 is actually a pointer that makes the little triangle point up for Book...and to the left for Back to rooms.....I think I just have to declare in the body tag that all links have a particular colour.
sonatainn said:
Oops. Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind. You could do it for all the links to be the same color, or just those 2 by inserting the font color command in that statement.

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
Show me the food!
By all means! We also place a banana piece right beside the watermelon slice...guests love the presentation.
That does look scrumptious.
You have a beautiful BandB there. Very calming and serene
teeth_smile.gif

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
"(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
I was looking at it as a guest might, albeit a guest with a strong aversion to that blue color!)"
I was thinking a guest who wants to scrutinize my home, but not pull the wallet photos of her own home out to share.

No. What you were thinking of was a snarky little comment to get a rise out of someone. You see fit to suggest music, and Bree sees fit to suggest a color change. Sonata Inn didn't get upset with either suggestion. Quit trolling.

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
"(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif

No. What you were thinking of was a snarky little comment to get a rise out of someone. You see fit to suggest music, and Bree sees fit to suggest a color change. Sonata Inn didn't get upset with either suggestion. Quit trolling.
swirt said:
I wholeheartedly agree. That was very unkind.
Bree's taken hers out before and taken her licks as we've picked it apart. She's redone photos, rearranged rooms, and overhauled her code all based on advice on the forum. She's earned her right to give advice without having nasty little comments strewn her way.
Sonata... I think your page is lovely and adding more food pics will make it even better. I like the logo on the side. Please don't do music... it annoys so many people, and what would it add? And, ironically, on my monitor it's not blue at all, more like a purpley/gray.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!
=)
Kk.

Good job!
Nice logo!
Tim:
(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif
"(And now I'll stop.
embaressed_smile.gif

swirt said:
I wholeheartedly agree. That was very unkind.
Bree's taken hers out before and taken her licks as we've picked it apart. She's redone photos, rearranged rooms, and overhauled her code all based on advice on the forum. She's earned her right to give advice without having nasty little comments strewn her way.
Sonata... I think your page is lovely and adding more food pics will make it even better. I like the logo on the side. Please don't do music... it annoys so many people, and what would it add? And, ironically, on my monitor it's not blue at all, more like a purpley/gray.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!
=)
Kk.
Music also gets someone surfing for a place to visit caught by the Boss!

Sonatainn,
If you are in tweaking this page, there are a couple of minor things you may want to adjust while you are in there. Just some finesse stuff, nothing huge.
  1. <meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
    This one is fine but unecessary as it is the default behavior of all search engine spiders. There is no good reason to tell a bot what to do, only to tell it what not to do.
  2. <meta name="googlebot" content="index,follow">
    This one is 100% redundant as it is already covered by the robots one above it. It could be removed.
  3. <meta name="revisit-after" content="14 days">
    This one is not, nor has it ever been used by any search engine that has ever existed. It was proposed by one company but never adopted by that company or any others. It should go.
  4. <meta name="description" CONTENT="Breakfast at The Sonata Inn B&B, Charlottetown, PEI">
    Fix the & ... it should be &amp; This same error occurs in the <title> tag too.
  5. In your navigation menu, add meaningful title attributes (similar to the alt attributes you already have in place). Alt attributes describe the content of the image, title attributes describe the function. They also give the tool tips when hovered over in all compliant browsers. (internet explorer wrongly displays the alt attribute as a tooltip)
  6. Also on your navigation bar and throughout the rest of your site, links to your home page should always be to the root rather than index.html (www.mydomain.com/ rather than www.mydomain.com/index.html)
  7. Your page is missing a Doctype declaration. It is a mandatory html element (the only one) and should be the very first line of code on the page. This will allow you to validate your code which can be a help to point out any issues.

Back