breakfast seating question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Do you all have one big table that you sit folks at for breakfast? or have you put in smaller tables for two ect..
we have one long table in our dining room, and we set the food out buffet style on an antique buffet.
It sounds like you all serve them on individual plates in courses?

we have one oval table that will seat up to 6 and 2 tables that seat 4 each. We serve individually plated food. I feel like I have more control over portions served and not wasted and I like the presentation... It's show time!!

I have one table that seats 6 comfortably. I serve family-style so everyone can take as much or as little as they want and very little waste.

We had 2 tables that could seat 6 people each. We pushed the 2 tables together to encourage conversation between the guests. So far it is working out great.
We plate everything and serve it unless I have more than 8 people then we have our breakfast buffet open with the starters, fruits or yogurt; breads, muffins, and biscuits and cereals. Cereals, and instant oatmeal is always available on our breakfast bar as well as coffee. We still plate and serve the hot cooked entree, like Greyswan said "It's Showtime! (We like all the oooohs and aaaahhhhs, part of the fun of being an innkeeper)
Adabweeks

On warm, good weather days we have a table in the gazebo that seats six, or on bad days we have a table inside that seats six. We seat all guests at the same table and at the same time and serve food plated up.

One rectangular table that can seat up to 10 with all the leaves in it. We can have up to 15 guests if we have a full house. As the table is set up now, it seats 6 very comfortably. I had one Sunday where I did 2 seatings of 6 & that worked out well. It usually isn't a problem because we ask folks when they want to have breakfast, but 2 seatings with a full house works well. I got the idea from JBJ to have people sign up for their breakfast time with the 2 seatings & that worked out great. We also have a table in the parlor that looks out on the front porch & can seat 2...cozily.
We also provide breakfast en suite and have had quite a few people take advantage of that.
Breakfast is plated & served.

I have a table that's round with no leaves, and easily seats 8 with all leaves in. I usually have it set up for six, unless I have a full house and everyone is eating at the same time (which rarely happens). I have the fruit plated in fancy dishes at each place on the table when they come down (unless I am running behind
confused_smile.gif
) . Also on the table are pitchers of juice, milk and ice water, as well as a caraffe of coffee. I usually bring out the entree and side meat on serving platters that can be passed around because 1) I don't want people going hungry, 2) not everyone takes everything, and 3) my family will gladly eat the leftovers, which we couldn't do if they'd been on guests' plates. (I hate waste!!!) Some of my dishes do come out plated (My Eggs Florentine is baked in individual ramekins), but most of the time I miss the opportunity for gorgeous plating. I try to make up for it by having a gorgeous table, with fancy napkin folds and individual salt and peppers and other touches. Oh, and I garnish the serving platter, too, or at least try to when I have time...
=)
Kk.

Yellow Socks, sounds like you and I do it pretty much the same. I only have a small b&B with 2 rooms for now. So at the most we would have 4 guests at a time. I set up the buffet real fancy with candles and flowers, and everything is served in pretty, or fancy dishes with lids and all is garnished. I set up the table fancy too and if it's really nice out (by that I mean "cool under 90 with no humidity"), then I also set up tables outside in the courtyard in case anyone wants to eat out there. (my fam will also eat the leftovers).
Our table seats 12 so it feels pretty lonely if only two are eating there. My family all either leave very early every morning, before guests get up or sleep in past breakfast (ususallly on Saturdays). My dear hubby insits that we leave the table like it is as it adds to the 'grandness' of the home. No one has complained and I ususally ask the guests if they would like us to join them. Unless its a couple on honeymoon, or appears to be very cozy and looks liek they want to be left alone.

We have 7 rooms and can up to 19 guests. (This is a Murphy's Law post as well!)
We have 4 tables in the dining room, 1 in the living room. I have them set up as 3- 2 tops and 1- 4 top. One of the 2 tops can be a 3 top, which happens often. I can almost guarantee which tables will go in which order...the 2 near the windows go first, the 1 other 2 top is next and the 4 top stands alone until desparation hits and someone sits at it.
The living room table is strictly for backup when everyone comes down at once.

We only have the two suites so in our dining room we have two drop leaf tables, both old family tables - might be antique, I'm not sure. When we add the other suite we will change out to 5 smaller tables. But we built new so were able to give ourselves plenty of room for this.
We plate the food right now. Might go to buffet when we are feeding 10.
Riki

Used to do a nice buffet. Not a continental - people think buffet means continental.
Our family are sick of breakfast foods. My thighs are sick of breakfast foods.
Plated is LESS waste than a buffet in my estimation. Plated is a better presentation, and is conducive of great conversations versus people getting up and down from the table all the time.
Plated is less food as you don't need to put as much out as in a buffet, more items.
Very rarely do we have guests who don't clean their plate. This is also due to the fact that I am making the same berakfast so many times over now - the ones I find the guests really like.
There is a buffet mentality - if you go to any restaurant buffets to take too much and not eat it. THAT WASTE was killing me. I don't like waste at all.

Used to do a nice buffet. Not a continental - people think buffet means continental.
Plated is LESS waste than a buffet in my estimation. Plated is a better presentation, and is conducive of great conversations versus people getting up and down from the table all the time.
Plated is less food as you don't need to put as much out as in a buffet, more items.
Very rarely do we have guests who don't clean their plate. This is also due to the fact that I am making the same berakfast so many times over now - the ones I find the guests really like.
There is a buffet mentality - if you go to any restaurant buffets to take too much and not eat it. THAT WASTE was killing me. I don't like waste at all..
well, we are really new to all this, but so far, every plate left behind has been nearly to completely empty. I am considering changing to serving on plates because it does look prettier. I may still keep the fruit, muffins, juices etc on the buffet. oh, and the coffee we offer that early in the AM so if there are any early risers that want to grab a cuppa and head out to the court yard, or gardens they can.

There is a buffet mentality - if you go to any restaurant buffets to take too much and not eat it. THAT WASTE was killing me. I don't like waste at all..
well, we are really new to all this, but so far, every plate left behind has been nearly to completely empty. I am considering changing to serving on plates because it does look prettier. I may still keep the fruit, muffins, juices etc on the buffet. oh, and the coffee we offer that early in the AM so if there are any early risers that want to grab a cuppa and head out to the court yard, or gardens they can.
high street victorian said:
My thought is this, you are having to cook a lot more for a buffet for 2 to 4 people than to plate it.
Now COFFEE is another issue altogether which has not been driven into the ground on this new forum as of ...yet.
People like their coffee. Please EVERYONE do not make them wait until they sit down for their cup of coffee. MOST PEOPLE do not want to drink coffee while they chew. They like it before or after their meal.
Many like it early, like you said, and head outside and enjou the morning. That is my favorite thing, having coffee outside in the beautiful morning sun.

Yellow Socks, sounds like you and I do it pretty much the same. I only have a small b&B with 2 rooms for now. So at the most we would have 4 guests at a time. I set up the buffet real fancy with candles and flowers, and everything is served in pretty, or fancy dishes with lids and all is garnished. I set up the table fancy too and if it's really nice out (by that I mean "cool under 90 with no humidity"), then I also set up tables outside in the courtyard in case anyone wants to eat out there. (my fam will also eat the leftovers).
Our table seats 12 so it feels pretty lonely if only two are eating there. My family all either leave very early every morning, before guests get up or sleep in past breakfast (ususallly on Saturdays). My dear hubby insits that we leave the table like it is as it adds to the 'grandness' of the home. No one has complained and I ususally ask the guests if they would like us to join them. Unless its a couple on honeymoon, or appears to be very cozy and looks liek they want to be left alone..
We had one, and then two, rooms for the past year. It's only recently that I've had four rooms and had more than four for breakfast! Even now, breakfast times are often staggered and not everyone sits down at once.
We never join them to eat, but I agree, if there's only one guest it's kind of lonely in there. After they are all served I might pull out a chair and drink some juice with a boy on my lap and have a nice chat. If there's two, and they're a getaway couple, I leave 'em alone. If there's two, not on a getaway, who truly want to talk with me, then I might stand behind a chair and talk, then sit when my feet start to hurt.
I stole an idea from Kathleen at Gillum House and give them a bell to ring if they need anything. It's a fun touch, even though so far no one's rung it... "Oh, my mother would kill me if I rang for you..." That, and I tend to pop in every five minutes or so to see how they're doing... I hate being at a restaurant and needing the waitress and she's no where to be found.
Sometimes the kids want to eat with the people... "No, you may not." Sometimes the people want to share with the children (some juice or bacon or whatever). If it's their idea, and they seem genuine (not just polite) then the kids may sit at the table and have a little fruit or juice or something (not a full meal!). That happens very infrequently, though. Usually the kids are eating cereal in the kitchen, or watching a video downstairs.
We have the table for six instead of eight because it can be turned sideways and leave the rest of the room as a sitting area. We don't do "buffet" because that's a lot of food... and even with "family style" I always serve plenty and if they eat it all then I worry that I didn't give them enough. Although I'm learning that if they eat all I give them then they're really big eaters, and very full afterward! I've also discovered that some people have this internal drive that insists they must . eat . it . all ... [Sidetrack... it's been educational watching how different people eat. Not to be a voyeur or anything, but the slender ladies who don't touch the bread, and the massive people who have to finish all of it, and the no red meat lady who snitches bites from her dh ... it's been educational!]
=)
Kk.

My thought is this, you are having to cook a lot more for a buffet for 2 to 4 people than to plate it.
Now COFFEE is another issue altogether which has not been driven into the ground on this new forum as of ...yet.
People like their coffee. Please EVERYONE do not make them wait until they sit down for their cup of coffee. MOST PEOPLE do not want to drink coffee while they chew. They like it before or after their meal.
Many like it early, like you said, and head outside and enjou the morning. That is my favorite thing, having coffee outside in the beautiful morning sun.
Yes, we set out coffee before breakfast so they can help themselves. When we opened I had it along with warm muffins and bread and jams by a toaster before breakfast. But nobody ate anything so now I just leave out the coffee and juice ahead of time.
Riki

Dh makes the coffee before he leaves for work, so it's ready by 6:45. Sometimes people come looking for it, sometimes they don't. We had one coffee addict that I felt guilty for looking at his face as he took that first drink... it somehow seemed an invasion of privacy to see the look of sheer relief, like a junkie getting his fix.
=)
Kk.

Yes, good point. We put coffee and tea and hot chocolate out in the Gazebo at 7:00am and serve breakfast at 8:30.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Coffee is ready at 7 AM for those early risers who want to enjoy it outside or reading the paper. I have had guests grumble at me when I ask if they would like coffee as I see they are seated without it. 'NOT with my meal (you idiot)!' And then they get nasty when I don't ask again. I am NOT the waitress, you don't want coffee when I ask, then get it yourself when you do. (And I do tell them to help themselves whenever they are ready.)
And yet others swill it like water all thru breakfast. For those guests we have the intravenous drip.
wink_smile.gif

Our table seats 12 so it feels pretty lonely if only two are eating there. My family all either leave very early every morning, before guests get up or sleep in past breakfast (ususallly on Saturdays). My dear hubby insits that we leave the table like it is as it adds to the 'grandness' of the home. No one has complained and I ususally ask the guests if they would like us to join them. Unless its a couple on honeymoon, or appears to be very cozy and looks liek they want to be left alone..
We had one, and then two, rooms for the past year. It's only recently that I've had four rooms and had more than four for breakfast! Even now, breakfast times are often staggered and not everyone sits down at once.
We never join them to eat, but I agree, if there's only one guest it's kind of lonely in there. After they are all served I might pull out a chair and drink some juice with a boy on my lap and have a nice chat. If there's two, and they're a getaway couple, I leave 'em alone. If there's two, not on a getaway, who truly want to talk with me, then I might stand behind a chair and talk, then sit when my feet start to hurt.
I stole an idea from Kathleen at Gillum House and give them a bell to ring if they need anything. It's a fun touch, even though so far no one's rung it... "Oh, my mother would kill me if I rang for you..." That, and I tend to pop in every five minutes or so to see how they're doing... I hate being at a restaurant and needing the waitress and she's no where to be found.
Sometimes the kids want to eat with the people... "No, you may not." Sometimes the people want to share with the children (some juice or bacon or whatever). If it's their idea, and they seem genuine (not just polite) then the kids may sit at the table and have a little fruit or juice or something (not a full meal!). That happens very infrequently, though. Usually the kids are eating cereal in the kitchen, or watching a video downstairs.
We have the table for six instead of eight because it can be turned sideways and leave the rest of the room as a sitting area. We don't do "buffet" because that's a lot of food... and even with "family style" I always serve plenty and if they eat it all then I worry that I didn't give them enough. Although I'm learning that if they eat all I give them then they're really big eaters, and very full afterward! I've also discovered that some people have this internal drive that insists they must . eat . it . all ... [Sidetrack... it's been educational watching how different people eat. Not to be a voyeur or anything, but the slender ladies who don't touch the bread, and the massive people who have to finish all of it, and the no red meat lady who snitches bites from her dh ... it's been educational!]
=)
Kk.
I stole an idea from Kathleen at Gillum House and give them a bell to ring if they need anything. It's a fun touch, even though so far no one's rung it... "Oh, my mother would kill me if I rang for you..." That, and I tend to pop in every five minutes or so to see how they're doing...
Easier for you is to get them to ring the bell. You do this by telling them, "I believe every woman at least once in her life should be able to ring a bell and someone else come running." This is how I do it for dinners - would work for breakfast too. I find the first ring is very tentative and afer that it is WHANG! WHANG!!!

=)
Kk.
I stole an idea from Kathleen at Gillum House and give them a bell to ring if they need anything. It's a fun touch, even though so far no one's rung it... "Oh, my mother would kill me if I rang for you..." That, and I tend to pop in every five minutes or so to see how they're doing...
Easier for you is to get them to ring the bell. You do this by telling them, "I believe every woman at least once in her life should be able to ring a bell and someone else come running." This is how I do it for dinners - would work for breakfast too. I find the first ring is very tentative and afer that it is WHANG! WHANG!!!
gillumhouse said:
You are a saint. If someone rang a bell and expected me to come running I would dump the oj over their head.

Back