Breakfast Sous Vide Or Otherwise

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I found a great recipe that duplicates or rather improves upon the famous coffee place's Sous Vide Egg Bites. And since they are pasturized, they keep in the fridge and you warm them gently in the microwave before serving. Works wonderfully and it looks fun, being in a mason jar. Best part is... they keep for a LONG time.
I needed some that were also lactose free... so apparently one of the supermarket chains here carries lactose-free cottage cheese.... but only at their larger supermarkets... so off I went to get some. Worked out well.
Still trying to figure out a way to do this vegan... but without eggs, the temperature won't make them "gel", so I'm going to have to experiment with a few things with soft tofu and maybe chickpea flour? Anyone have thoughts?
I'm also trying to work out making steel cut oats that are easy to store, ready in the fridge. I'm afraid that the longer you leave them, the more they will become "cream" and not hold up as oatmeal. And since I don't know who wants oatmeal in the morning, I don't know how many to prepare. Anyone try a system where you have to order something like home made oatmeal or overnight oats the day before? Cooking steel cut oats sous-vide is about 2 hours, so not something that I can start quickly. Or maybe I could do them as overnight oats and heat in the microwave before serving? Anyone with experience at how long you can keep overnight oats?
I'm looking for ideas for winter breakfast dishes that keep in the fridge for a few days, because I'm never sure how many I will need or how long until I need them. It's more difficult in the winter because I get a lot of last minute reservations. Anyone have ideas?

Last week I experimented with pre-makng my potato roll, slicing it when cold (worked better than when hot BTW) and putting it in foil for breakfast the next day (I had back-to-back breakfasts). It worked beautifully with reheating the foil package the next day. I made it again when my friends were here this weekend and now have a package of it in the freezer to reheat next week as a trial. It can be made vegetarian (I have made it with an egg mixture that I baked and put in instead of the ground beef). It has a lot of cheese though so not vegan.

I’ve tried the overnight oats for myself and they’re ok for no more than two mornings. I’d avoid adding anything else to them (fruit, nuts) until the morning. It’s not the same thing, but the baked oatmeal still tastes pretty good heated up days later. But then the banana tends to get soggy after that.
i think it’s a good option to ask the day before.

I add the red raspberries to the baked oatmeal just before serving so it is good reheated - put the raspberries on just before serving.

Back