Breakfast Table Setting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Table cloth, placemat, silverplate silverware (2 forks, 2 spoons, 2 knives if serving homemade bread, or just one if not), fruit cup on little dish on top of plate. Across the top (left to right) are specially folded napkin, individual salt & pepper, molded butter pats on glass dish, stem glass, cut glass, coffee cup. Fruit is on the table when they come down, as well as tray with milk, ice water, and juice, plus a carafe of coffee with cut glass creamer and sugar. The entree is brought out on a serving platter with side meat in a separate serving dish, plus homemade bread on a cutting board (or other bread in a different dish)... I lose some fruit, but there's very little waste for the entree, meat and bread since we can eat the leftovers.
table%20setting.JPG

=)
Kk..
This is a great looking setting....how do you fold the napkins like that?
Molded butter patties? is there a ool for that?
I love to impress/surprise my guests, that would be the perfect set up for me....
Thanks for sharing :)
The molded butter is from either candy molds (all of mine are from yard sales), or from ice cube molds. The one I have I think is for ice cubes... it's more rubber and flexible. The plastic candy molds get brittle if you leave them in the freezer too long, which, since I'm lazy busy the butter tends to stay in the mold in the freezer quite a while. But I'm finding I can do it the morning I make breakfast if I forgot or ran out... start with soft butter, press into the molds (squeeze the air out) and pop in the freezer just long enough for the butter to firm up. Or, if already molded, place on the dishes at the beginning of breakfast prep and by the time the guests sit down it's soft enough to use while still holding it's shape. You could also use a pastry tube and decorator nozzle, but you have to have the butter at just the right temp and I think these look cooler.
I got a book from the library on the napkins. There's probably stuff online as well. That pattern is a variation of one called a "Bishop's Hat." (True bishop's hat has the ends tucked in, I usually let them spread out like a flor de lis.) The other one I use a lot is called "fortune cookie" cause it looks kind of like one and they use it a lot in nice Chinese restaurants.
Don't know if you'll be able to follow this, but here goes... a square napkin really works best for the bishop's hat, but you can fudge it if it's not perfect.
1) Fold napkin point to point to make a triangle, with the fold at the top (away from you).
2) Bring the outside corners down to the point nearest you.
3) Fold those same two corners up to the new point formed in step two.
4) Fold the point nearest you up about halfway to the middle, then fold the same edge again up to the middle, then fold it a third time over the upper half (this triple fold/roll makes the base).
5) Holding it all together carefully flip the whole works over, keeping the top point still at the top.
6) Take the outside corners (left and right) and fold them in, tucking one into the other. I sometimes fold them this far and store them like this.
7) Flip it back over.
8) Take the front points and tuck them into the band at the base (for true Bishop's Hat), or fold them down and let them drape to either side.
9) Pull the back out a little to open it up so it will stand on its own.
Voila!
Fortune Cookie:
1) Fold napkin point to point to make a triangle, with fold nearest to you and point at the top.
2) Fold the outside corners up to the top point.
3) Flip it over by bringing the top toward you (old top is now nearest you).
4) Fold the entire napkin in half by bringing the bottom point up to the top point.
5) Bring outside corners together.
Voila!
Good luck!
=)
Kk.
Thank you so very much, I will play with the napkins and definately try the butter in the molds...never thought of it.
I think this would be really cool and give guests something to remember you by.
I have molds in the mail I was going to use for chocolates, in the shapes of a Moose, now I'll try it with butter too.
Thanks, KK
Maggie

Table cloth, placemat, silverplate silverware (2 forks, 2 spoons, 2 knives if serving homemade bread, or just one if not), fruit cup on little dish on top of plate. Across the top (left to right) are specially folded napkin, individual salt & pepper, molded butter pats on glass dish, stem glass, cut glass, coffee cup. Fruit is on the table when they come down, as well as tray with milk, ice water, and juice, plus a carafe of coffee with cut glass creamer and sugar. The entree is brought out on a serving platter with side meat in a separate serving dish, plus homemade bread on a cutting board (or other bread in a different dish)... I lose some fruit, but there's very little waste for the entree, meat and bread since we can eat the leftovers.
table%20setting.JPG

=)
Kk..
This is a great looking setting....how do you fold the napkins like that?
Molded butter patties? is there a ool for that?
I love to impress/surprise my guests, that would be the perfect set up for me....
Thanks for sharing :)
The molded butter is from either candy molds (all of mine are from yard sales), or from ice cube molds. The one I have I think is for ice cubes... it's more rubber and flexible. The plastic candy molds get brittle if you leave them in the freezer too long, which, since I'm lazy busy the butter tends to stay in the mold in the freezer quite a while. But I'm finding I can do it the morning I make breakfast if I forgot or ran out... start with soft butter, press into the molds (squeeze the air out) and pop in the freezer just long enough for the butter to firm up. Or, if already molded, place on the dishes at the beginning of breakfast prep and by the time the guests sit down it's soft enough to use while still holding it's shape. You could also use a pastry tube and decorator nozzle, but you have to have the butter at just the right temp and I think these look cooler.
I got a book from the library on the napkins. There's probably stuff online as well. That pattern is a variation of one called a "Bishop's Hat." (True bishop's hat has the ends tucked in, I usually let them spread out like a flor de lis.) The other one I use a lot is called "fortune cookie" cause it looks kind of like one and they use it a lot in nice Chinese restaurants.
Don't know if you'll be able to follow this, but here goes... a square napkin really works best for the bishop's hat, but you can fudge it if it's not perfect.
1) Fold napkin point to point to make a triangle, with the fold at the top (away from you).
2) Bring the outside corners down to the point nearest you.
3) Fold those same two corners up to the new point formed in step two.
4) Fold the point nearest you up about halfway to the middle, then fold the same edge again up to the middle, then fold it a third time over the upper half (this triple fold/roll makes the base).
5) Holding it all together carefully flip the whole works over, keeping the top point still at the top.
6) Take the outside corners (left and right) and fold them in, tucking one into the other. I sometimes fold them this far and store them like this.
7) Flip it back over.
8) Take the front points and tuck them into the band at the base (for true Bishop's Hat), or fold them down and let them drape to either side.
9) Pull the back out a little to open it up so it will stand on its own.
Voila!
Fortune Cookie:
1) Fold napkin point to point to make a triangle, with fold nearest to you and point at the top.
2) Fold the outside corners up to the top point.
3) Flip it over by bringing the top toward you (old top is now nearest you).
4) Fold the entire napkin in half by bringing the bottom point up to the top point.
5) Bring outside corners together.
Voila!
Good luck!
=)
Kk.
Thank you so very much, I will play with the napkins and definately try the butter in the molds...never thought of it.
I think this would be really cool and give guests something to remember you by.
I have molds in the mail I was going to use for chocolates, in the shapes of a Moose, now I'll try it with butter too.
Thanks, KK
Maggie
Moose butters!! That would be super cool!
My theory is if it doesn't cost anything but time and creates a lot of flashy effect, then that's what I'm after! No extra cost to mold the butter or fold the napkin, but it really adds a lot of special touch to the table. The other "flashy" thing is the individual salt and peppers. I got some at an auction, sort of by mistake, and I love them. Well, I only had six sets of the pretty ones, and some of the tops were getting corroded, so I set up a search on eBay that let me know when individual s&p's were listed... got a wonderful buy of 11 sets of really cute glass shakers with nice shiny tops. The ones I had were antique and beautiful, but the corroded tops really bothered me. Now I can use those for just a couple of people, or use the others for a full table, or vary the table for a multi-night stay (which I do anyway as far as tablecloths, placemats, etc.).
I put the butter on little glass dishes... I'm still looking for more, but am going to have a tough time finding time to go yard saling, which is where I got these cute crystal glass leaf shaped dishes.
=)
Kk.

We used to bake muffins, bananna bread, etc, but we found that the guests were not eating this as they seem to be more health conscious now.
We set the table with: placement (used to do tablecloth, but no more -- too much ironing) mug, juice glass and water glass, and, of course, silverware and cloth napkin. Oh, we just started placing bottled water at each setting too. It's so much easier than filling up water jugs and finding a place on table for them (we have 8 guests at a time at table). And, two coffee urns.
I always know if someone wants tea. I ask them, when they book, if they like coffee or tea in morning and, if they have any dietary restrictions.
We keep the plates in the kitchen. As each couple comes down for brkfst, we make ONE plate, which includes alot of fruit and their main course, all on one plate. Easy and they love it..
I put placemats on top of the tablecloth. I only have to wash the tablecloths occassionally because the placemats catch any drips or food.

I will see how much time it will take. Still waiting for the molds in tha mail.....maybe I'll make 100's ahead and freeze them...lol
Get very fancy and add food coloring...

I will see how much time it will take. Still waiting for the molds in tha mail.....maybe I'll make 100's ahead and freeze them...lol
Get very fancy and add food coloring....
Do not add brown food coloring for your moose molds. They will not look like a moose....

i don't think you should color your butter if that is what you meant.
keep it simple, a cute little shape is good, but i try to stay away from artificial color. (blueberry butter? that would be naturally blue ... but berry flavored and might come out looking like moose droppings only small)

Haha...moosedroppings....
hey, they make jewelry with them, why not butter....just kidding....

Back