Breakfast ,times and menu

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
All right, need your input again....
I know it happens that we cook breakfast and nobody eats. We all hate it. But there has to be some ways to try to cut down on it.
I have been stiffed by 3 guests at once at one time, then last night we gone over the BF times and all.
Well, they got up rerly nad asked if they could have BF earyer the planned, like 45 minutes early...well, if you like continental, sure. But if you want the "real" BF, it has to bake for another 40 minutes (quiche). They decided to have just toast, some yougurt and cinamon rolls I just pulled out of the oven. No big deal, at least they ate...
He said, "That will save you some money on food" to which I kindly replied, " not really, it's all already made and cooking".
I did have more guests, so it really did not bother me too much. Just, if they would have been the only guests, that really would have been a waste of time and food.
I could ask the guests the night before if they prefer a hot or cold BF. Any better ideas?
My other question is what is your usual menu?
I always bake something fresh in the morning (cinnamon rolls, muffins, scones, etc..) and put it on the table. Then, when the guest sit down at the table, I give them a fruit/yogurt parfait while I get the main course ready, like French toast, quiche, anything hot. And of course, hot tea, coffee and juices.
I am still trying to figure out a good, easy menu.
Thanks again.....

Nothing beats a standy by of what you serve standardly but just give them eggs..whether scrambled, or fried..however they like. And then be done with it.
I posted my menus the night before and specifically point out to them the menu for tomorrow morning. Tell them it is at 9 AM. Ask if that is ok for you? If not, then what time do you want it?? Tell them to look at the menu and if there is something they don't eat to let me know. That usually covered all the bases. If they want to leave early, we packed up as much as we could for them and sent them on their way.
Usually we did just fine. Very few problems with our guests for breakfast..thankfully.

We had just two rooms today.
One room from the UK, one from this state. The one from this state told us he has diabetes and asked what he would have for breakfast? Many guests from overseas like to eat regional food, so I said biscuits and sausage gravy. (among other items) but that was the main item.
Well one guest wrote it in our book it was the greatest stay ever and the best breakfast they had had. The other one (who is here one more night) asked DH if we were going to have the same thing tomorrow for breakfast, as it we did they would pass.
DH said that was the first time we ever had someone not like what we made point blank and tell us. The husband of that room sure loved it and practically licked his plate.
But it does sorta hurt your feelings a bit.

2 rooms last night. One tells me a time and the other comes in while my back is turned and does not give a time at all. So I made 2 pans of egg bake - the bread could go back in the oven for a warm-up if need be. Well before the first couple sat down, here come the others. There was plenty in the first pan for the 4 of them, but I do not like to serve cold food to anyone so had to have the second one. That was a wasted 6 eggs! They did not cut all of their breads 0 one couple shared a loaf so I have plenty of bread to make a bread pudding (diabetic) for tomorrow. I do not waste if possible. Tuesday morning I will only have 2 people so may make pancakes since I have diabetic syrup.
My knock their socks off breakfast is an egg bake with English muffin bread - oven to table. This goes with the muffins, OJ, non-citric juice, fruit, and coffee/tea. I mix up the bread while the muffins are baking. Then separate the eggs and chop the herbs, etc to get the egg bake ready (table set the night before). Then while the bread and the egg bake are baking (30 min.) I get the fruit dish ready, pour the juices, cut the butter into pats & put on butter dish, and put jelly and apple butter on the table. Have the coffee ready early. Entree changes out but the rest is kind of standard here.
I cannot remember anyone passing on breakfast - ever!

DH forgot to ask for food preferences when he checked in our family of 4 last night. Just as we are serving the fruit dish I find out 2 don't eat eggs.... I pause (deep cleansing breathe) and tell them we are serving croissant french toast that is dipped in eggs... can they eat that... one can/will and one won't.. Fortunately I had an extra croissant that we toasted and served with butter, jelly, and the fruit topping on the side that was going on the french toast. They were happy about that and all was well.... Must remind dh to fill in the blanks on the registration card... there's a reason for each line..... grrrrrrr.

I've been really lucky so far. Had one lady that said she didn't really like breakfast meats, so I didn't prepare any for her and didn't have any on her plate. She did seem to think that someone else in her group could have "her" bacon. Whaaaaaaaaaaat?? I just told her that since she didn't like bacon, it wasn't prepared for her because we don't like to waste food.
If I only have a couple of rooms, I'll ask if they prefer egg dishes for breakfast vs. something sweet. So, far they ALWAYS pick eggs. So I just make some kind of egg dish.
Today they had a fruit cup (honeydew, peaches, raspberries, bananas) topped with a cream cheese fruit sauce & on that plate a slice of banana bread from a mini loaf pan. Main entree was a couple of sections of blueberry Belgian waffles garnished with some strawberry slices and blueberries, 3 cheese herb scrambled eggs, a slice of peppered bacon & a maple glazed sausage link. A little bit of everything for Father's Day :) We did 2 seatings because we had 2 groups kind of. First group cleaned their plates except one gal who asked if she could have the rest of her waffle in a zip lock for later on the plane. haha! Second group left some of the honeydew melon. I've found that not everyone is a fan of melons, which is interesting because we get some good ones here.
I don't want to make the same thing all the time, so I try to mix it up BUT there are some things that have been really well received so it seems like I make them fairly often but I change up the things that go with. Same type of thing but not exactly the same thing. I am not a huge fan of breakfast casseroles personally, so I tend not to make them.
You're just going to get some people that are picky no matter what you do...like the lady here that ate the center only of her omelet. It was odd...

I don't know if anyone really has a foolproof method, but some inns really like to hand out the 'menu' the night before so the guest can check off what they want and what time they want to eat. You make up the list of what you're willing to make and let them pick what they want off it.
I had a couple call yesterday who are booking 7 nights. She said, 'My husband wants to ask what you serve for breakfast?' Then she said, 'We love B&B's but we keep finding these really odd ones. Last time, we got the same breakfast every morning except the fruit changed. One morning peach french toast, the next morning apple french toast, we just don't want to eat the same thing everyday.'
It doesn't matter. We've had guests not say boo when we explain breakfast but then we find they've checked out at 6 AM and here we are with an extra quiche. This morning the guests had told us last night they couldn't stay to eat. So saved us making the extra quiche. They ate about 10 boxes of cereal instead. I'm pretty specific, too, 'THIS is tomorrow's breakfast.' Not, 'What would you like for breakfast?' so it always surprises me when they tell me they can't eat it as I'm serving it. Mostly it's wives saying, 'He can't eat that,' while he's drooling all over the place to get his hands on whatever it is.
We do breakfast from 8-9:30. You come down anytime between there. Today, 3 rooms came down at 8 but no one sat down. By 8:30 I was herding them into the dining room, because the other room had 3 in it and it was going to get too hectic for me. They kept talking, which was good, a lot of times they sit down and shut up and then it's awkward.
The way our place is set up you come down for breakfast and there's a regular kitchen island where the coffee is. It's so much like home, guests do what they do at home, they lean on the counter and chat. It's tough to get them to sit down. Maybe I should set up a 'counter' in the dining room and serve diner-style!

We're small (three rooms... eventually four). I ask them what time they'd like breakfast the night before. When they come down their fruit is on the table. While they're eating the fruit I bring out the entree and side meat on serving platters to help themselves.
My standard breakfast is a fruit cup (strawberries w/ cream on top, individual apple crisps, fruit splits), followed by Egg Blossoms (eggs and cheese baked in phyllo dough with chives on top) and breakfast ham, with homemade bread. If you're here multiple nights then you get something different each day.
=) Kk.

I've been really lucky so far. Had one lady that said she didn't really like breakfast meats, so I didn't prepare any for her and didn't have any on her plate. She did seem to think that someone else in her group could have "her" bacon. Whaaaaaaaaaaat?? I just told her that since she didn't like bacon, it wasn't prepared for her because we don't like to waste food.
If I only have a couple of rooms, I'll ask if they prefer egg dishes for breakfast vs. something sweet. So, far they ALWAYS pick eggs. So I just make some kind of egg dish.
Today they had a fruit cup (honeydew, peaches, raspberries, bananas) topped with a cream cheese fruit sauce & on that plate a slice of banana bread from a mini loaf pan. Main entree was a couple of sections of blueberry Belgian waffles garnished with some strawberry slices and blueberries, 3 cheese herb scrambled eggs, a slice of peppered bacon & a maple glazed sausage link. A little bit of everything for Father's Day :) We did 2 seatings because we had 2 groups kind of. First group cleaned their plates except one gal who asked if she could have the rest of her waffle in a zip lock for later on the plane. haha! Second group left some of the honeydew melon. I've found that not everyone is a fan of melons, which is interesting because we get some good ones here.
I don't want to make the same thing all the time, so I try to mix it up BUT there are some things that have been really well received so it seems like I make them fairly often but I change up the things that go with. Same type of thing but not exactly the same thing. I am not a huge fan of breakfast casseroles personally, so I tend not to make them.
You're just going to get some people that are picky no matter what you do...like the lady here that ate the center only of her omelet. It was odd....
That sounds yummy..what time is Breakfast?

We're small (three rooms... eventually four). I ask them what time they'd like breakfast the night before. When they come down their fruit is on the table. While they're eating the fruit I bring out the entree and side meat on serving platters to help themselves.
My standard breakfast is a fruit cup (strawberries w/ cream on top, individual apple crisps, fruit splits), followed by Egg Blossoms (eggs and cheese baked in phyllo dough with chives on top) and breakfast ham, with homemade bread. If you're here multiple nights then you get something different each day.
=) Kk..
And again...what time is BF?
I keep telling guests that Breakfast is served between 7 and 9 am.....seems line the average time thou is about 8 am.....maybe I'll change mine, could use an extra hour sleep. And the early riser can help theirselfs to a continental BF.

=) Kk..
And again...what time is BF?
I keep telling guests that Breakfast is served between 7 and 9 am.....seems line the average time thou is about 8 am.....maybe I'll change mine, could use an extra hour sleep. And the early riser can help theirselfs to a continental BF.
By all means, if you find the general time is 8, then start at 8! You can always opt to start earlier for special ocassions. I love it when the only guests say they would like brekkie at 9. Hubs hates it. He wants to be up and busy, not waiting around. I sleep in.

Today breakfast is 830 for both rooms. Yesterday it was delivered to the room at 730 and at the table at 9am.
I don't have a time span for breakfast. It is typically 9am. But midweek we get alot who are traveling through and want an earlier start.
This is what I have:
'Breakfast is at 8:30 a.m., by 9:00 it gets soggy, by 9:30 a.m., I eat it!'

Today breakfast is 830 for both rooms. Yesterday it was delivered to the room at 730 and at the table at 9am.
I don't have a time span for breakfast. It is typically 9am. But midweek we get alot who are traveling through and want an earlier start.
This is what I have:
'Breakfast is at 8:30 a.m., by 9:00 it gets soggy, by 9:30 a.m., I eat it!'.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
This is what I have:
Who was it who said: 'Hot breakfast at 9 AM, cold at 9:30'?
One room didn't show for brekkie today. Luckily it was french toast. Problem is that tomorrow they are the only guests and I hate getting up early if I don't have to and we won't know if they're gonna eat or not.

2 rooms last night. One tells me a time and the other comes in while my back is turned and does not give a time at all. So I made 2 pans of egg bake - the bread could go back in the oven for a warm-up if need be. Well before the first couple sat down, here come the others. There was plenty in the first pan for the 4 of them, but I do not like to serve cold food to anyone so had to have the second one. That was a wasted 6 eggs! They did not cut all of their breads 0 one couple shared a loaf so I have plenty of bread to make a bread pudding (diabetic) for tomorrow. I do not waste if possible. Tuesday morning I will only have 2 people so may make pancakes since I have diabetic syrup.
My knock their socks off breakfast is an egg bake with English muffin bread - oven to table. This goes with the muffins, OJ, non-citric juice, fruit, and coffee/tea. I mix up the bread while the muffins are baking. Then separate the eggs and chop the herbs, etc to get the egg bake ready (table set the night before). Then while the bread and the egg bake are baking (30 min.) I get the fruit dish ready, pour the juices, cut the butter into pats & put on butter dish, and put jelly and apple butter on the table. Have the coffee ready early. Entree changes out but the rest is kind of standard here.
I cannot remember anyone passing on breakfast - ever!.
Hey Kathleen...
When you make your bread pudding, is that for breakfast or for yourselves? If for breakfast, what else do you serve with it (I'm guessing fruit and meat?)?
Thanks,
=) Kk.

I cannot remember anyone passing on breakfast - ever!.
Hey Kathleen...
When you make your bread pudding, is that for breakfast or for yourselves? If for breakfast, what else do you serve with it (I'm guessing fruit and meat?)?
Thanks,
=) Kk.
Breakfast yesterday was the egg bake with English muffin bread. There was a LOT left (each gets his own loaf and on couple shared one and left the other and I had an extra loaf besides) to today was peach bread pudding (with Splenda because my S/O is diabetic). I had a big dish with papaya, canteloupe, honeydew, sliced strawberries, and sprinkled with blueberries, sugar-free whole wheat applesauce muffins, the bread pudding, fat-free vanilla yogurt, and coffee. I also had maple syrup on the table because some folks like maple syrup on the bread pudding. These folks chose my favorite way - slathered with vanilla yogurt. They were big fruit eaters. My pan of bread pudding is an 8 x 8 glass pan and a 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep of pudding.
The couple from PA are headed for Jeanne. Nice people.
When my son comes in from Peoria, he is supposed to be bringing me my sausage. THEN I will serve sausage with the egg bakes.

You're just going to get some people that are picky no matter what you do...like the lady here that ate the center only of her omelet. It was odd....
That sounds yummy..what time is Breakfast?
Thanks! Anytime between 7-9 AM weekdays and 7:30-9:30AM weekends. Come to the South!

This is what I have:
'Breakfast is at 8:30 a.m., by 9:00 it gets soggy, by 9:30 a.m., I eat it!'.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
This is what I have:
Who was it who said: 'Hot breakfast at 9 AM, cold at 9:30'?
One room didn't show for brekkie today. Luckily it was french toast. Problem is that tomorrow they are the only guests and I hate getting up early if I don't have to and we won't know if they're gonna eat or not.
Just ask them. I am going to start asking.
As of the French Toast, depending on the type it's easy to re-heat. Unless you are totally against re-heating.
I don't do re-heating, but honestly, if I would slave away and the people would not show, I would do it for them the next morning, depending on what it was.

Back