Breakfast times - snooze, lose, or door number three.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband and I stayed at a B&B about a month ago. Breakfast was at 6:30 since we had to be at the airport. At 6:15 I was in THE BATHROOM brushing my teeth when the Innkeeper started POUNDING on the bathroom door. She was YELLING "You better hurry up or you are going to be late". Say what??
Then while we are trying to eat our microwaved breakfast she came in and said to my husband, "So, you gonna pay me in a check or cash? I've really got to be going, I have an early morning yoga class."
We did not even finish breakfast. He moved his plate aside and wrote her a check. She did offer to "bag it up" for us so we could take it with us.
I would NEVER pound on a door or yell anything through the door to one of my guests. If I miss my flight, that's my problem. I was appalled at the way we were treated. She all but pushed us out of the house at 6:30. At least have the decency to let us chew our food before asking for money..
You know it really is too bad we can't mention some of these places that we have been that are bad!!! I cringe when I hear stories like this one because I always think what if these people (you in this instance) were newbies and this is the way someone treated them - it would put such an awful taste in their mouth for B&B's in general and they may never try another one!
suellen222 said:
You know it really is too bad we can't mention some of these places that we have been that are bad!!! I cringe when I hear stories like this one because I always think what if these people (you in this instance) were newbies and this is the way someone treated them - it would put such an awful taste in their mouth for B&B's in general and they may never try another one!
I agree with you, but I also (no offense to this poster as I have heard many similar stories - bad inns, bad innkeepers) know that there are crappy guests out there who also give B&B's a bad name. I have stayed at wonderful B&B's of late where they tell me stories of guests saying "This is not good enough" and nit pick every little thing and eventually leave unhappy...
So it is one of those take everything with a grain of salt. There are innkeepers on this forum who are awesome and can tell you stories of ingrates staying with them, unable to please them.

My husband and I stayed at a B&B about a month ago. Breakfast was at 6:30 since we had to be at the airport. At 6:15 I was in THE BATHROOM brushing my teeth when the Innkeeper started POUNDING on the bathroom door. She was YELLING "You better hurry up or you are going to be late". Say what??
Then while we are trying to eat our microwaved breakfast she came in and said to my husband, "So, you gonna pay me in a check or cash? I've really got to be going, I have an early morning yoga class."
We did not even finish breakfast. He moved his plate aside and wrote her a check. She did offer to "bag it up" for us so we could take it with us.
I would NEVER pound on a door or yell anything through the door to one of my guests. If I miss my flight, that's my problem. I was appalled at the way we were treated. She all but pushed us out of the house at 6:30. At least have the decency to let us chew our food before asking for money..
Actually we are learning a lot about what we will, and what we won't, be doing in our new Inn. We will be open in two days!!
knerrsotb said:
Actually we are learning a lot about what we will, and what we won't, be doing in our new Inn. We will be open in two days!!
Congrats on your opening!!! We look forward to hearing your guest stories...should you need a place to vent, laugh, cry or just share.
cheers.gif

I do recall where you are from your first post. I hope your doors overflow with fantastic guests.

Great way to learn about the business...stay in lots! At least you learned how NOT to treat guests! Congrats and good luck - keep us posted on your adventures! What state are you in? I'm looking for a fun place to go for New Years Eve with my hubby!

knerrsotb said:
Two days? Phenomonal! Best of luck to you...and lean on us anytime you need to!

Great way to learn about the business...stay in lots! At least you learned how NOT to treat guests! Congrats and good luck - keep us posted on your adventures! What state are you in? I'm looking for a fun place to go for New Years Eve with my hubby!
SuE, not state 'COUNTRY'
wink_smile.gif

suellen222 said:
I'm looking for a fun place to go for New Years Eve with my hubby!
Sue, you can always come North!

SuE, not state 'COUNTRY'
wink_smile.gif

Oh! So airline tickets would be necessary!!!???

suellen222 said:
Yeah, I have been thinking about this too! How much snow do you have up there? We have over a foot and it is still snowing! Make it stop! Great for skiing tho - my daughter and boyfriend are headed to Boyne next weekend. Could be good!

suellen222 said:
Yeah, I have been thinking about this too! How much snow do you have up there? We have over a foot and it is still snowing! Make it stop! Great for skiing tho - my daughter and boyfriend are headed to Boyne next weekend. Could be good!
suellen222 said:
Girlfriend...the snow is up to my hoo-hoo. I saw on the news that Central Lake got 25"...as of yesterday. I would say we have close to that much.

suellen222 said:
suellen222 said:
Girlfriend...the snow is up to my hoo-hoo. I saw on the news that Central Lake got 25"...as of yesterday. I would say we have close to that much.
OMG!!!!

suellen222 said:
suellen222 said:
OMG!!!!
YOu all can keep ALL OF THAT SNOW UP NORTH!!!! I have already had enough of it with just about 5 inches so far this winter.

knerrsotb said:
Wow! That's great. And always good to have an idea of what doesn't work!

Innkeepers knocking of guestroom doors in the morning...
Innkeepers with whole house wake up calls...
No wonder B&B's get a bad rap!.
I was traveling solo and had the innkeeper knocking on my door for the 5 pm social hour!! What the heck? What if I was napping? What if I didn't want to be "social"? What if I didn't want to spoil some special dinner plans by eating some snacks? What if I was getting ready to go meet some friends? There are a whole lot of "what ifs" there! I know innkeepers need to plan but I really didn't appreciate that! It's not like they asked, "Will you be taking advantage of our social hour?" Then I felt obligated to make an appearance and all I really wanted to do was relax before I had to drive to meet a relative for dinner. The innkeepers weren't even there. It was weird....
I once had a flight attendant wake me on a cross-Atlantic flight to see if I wanted a drink. A drink. I wanted SLEEEEP!!!
Why on earth would an innkeeper knock on a guest room door for the social hour, of all things? Talk about lost on the concept of a getaway!
I've had that happen on a flight too. I always wondered if they were trying to please some majority of travelers that complained about missing the drink cart. :)
I tried having a social hour here and folks were out and about too much. I know that I would get aggravated when I put a bunch of stuff out for guests and they didn't show up, but I never thought about trying to round the guests up.

Back