Breakfast to go?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
50% of today's guests did not eat. They came down, got coffee and went back to their rooms. They spoke to us. They never mentioned they would not be eating breakfast. When they left they handed us their trash and walked out. (Serious trash, a big pile of it, all of it from fast food places, where they obviously went for breakfast.)

What can you do besides chalk it up to unsophicated tastes? I have the customers who bypass my coffee/tea service in the dining room to go out for Dunkin Donuts coffee. I find the cups all over the place.
confused_smile.gif

What can you do besides chalk it up to unsophicated tastes? I have the customers who bypass my coffee/tea service in the dining room to go out for Dunkin Donuts coffee. I find the cups all over the place.
confused_smile.gif
I guess I can be thankful they didn't leave all that smelly trash in the rooms. Luckily, we were very busy with the other half of the guests and didn't notice it was almost 10 when they left. Would have been worse had we been sitting there waiting for an hour for them to not show.

confused_smile.gif
I guess I can be thankful they didn't leave all that smelly trash in the rooms. Luckily, we were very busy with the other half of the guests and didn't notice it was almost 10 when they left. Would have been worse had we been sitting there waiting for an hour for them to not show.
Bree said:
That exact thing happened to me this morning. Our cottage guests call the main Inn for breakfast between 9 & 10 am and we deliver breakfast to their doorstep, packed in a basket. I was up cooking for the Main Inn and the cottage at 7am. Had the cottage breakfast ready to go by 9 only to realize at 11am (just now) that the cottage guests obviously left at the crack of dawn without saying a word.....sign.....how many pineapple custards can 1 girl eat?

confused_smile.gif
Bree said:
That exact thing happened to me this morning. Our cottage guests call the main Inn for breakfast between 9 & 10 am and we deliver breakfast to their doorstep, packed in a basket. I was up cooking for the Main Inn and the cottage at 7am. Had the cottage breakfast ready to go by 9 only to realize at 11am (just now) that the cottage guests obviously left at the crack of dawn without saying a word.....sign.....how many pineapple custards can 1 girl eat?
We ended up throwing out all of the prepped starters because they have grapefruit which neither of us can eat. (I DO wish hubs would just let me top the pineapple with the grapefruit right before serving it, then we COULD eat all of the leftovers!)

Is it any wonder that small B&Bs treat cancellations differently than giant hotel chains, ask a few questions of our guests about their travel plans, arrivals, departures, dietary stuff, etc.?
I'm not sure what other small B&B member's food costs are, but ours run between 10-12%. That's with breakfast, all the baked goodies, afternoon refreshment
Thankfully our waste is very minimal because we do hot entrees that are cooked while the guest is at the table. No show, no waste.
If guests don't come for breakfast, which I'm not even sure has ever happened, the extra fresh fruit is eaten by us and the extra baked breakfast item is given most days to our neighbors.
Our early departures get the baked goodie, fresh fruit, little yogurts, juices and to go coffee or tea. If its really early before 6am, we set the timer on the coffee pot and often don't even get up to send folks off.
But for smaller size B&Bs, we don't have the volume or much leeway to absorb a lot of waste, so staying on top of stuff is important.

Is it any wonder that small B&Bs treat cancellations differently than giant hotel chains, ask a few questions of our guests about their travel plans, arrivals, departures, dietary stuff, etc.?
I'm not sure what other small B&B member's food costs are, but ours run between 10-12%. That's with breakfast, all the baked goodies, afternoon refreshment
Thankfully our waste is very minimal because we do hot entrees that are cooked while the guest is at the table. No show, no waste.
If guests don't come for breakfast, which I'm not even sure has ever happened, the extra fresh fruit is eaten by us and the extra baked breakfast item is given most days to our neighbors.
Our early departures get the baked goodie, fresh fruit, little yogurts, juices and to go coffee or tea. If its really early before 6am, we set the timer on the coffee pot and often don't even get up to send folks off.
But for smaller size B&Bs, we don't have the volume or much leeway to absorb a lot of waste, so staying on top of stuff is important..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
But for smaller size B&Bs, we don't have the volume or much leeway to absorb a lot of waste, so staying on top of stuff is important.
We waste a tremendous amout of food. It really is a sin. I have said on many occasions: If I lived in a more rural area, I would keep hog. Leftovers go to the hog...the hog goes to bacon and sausage...bacon and sausage goes back to the guests. Its a perfect scenerio!!!
Now thats recycling!
chef.gif

On the subject of grapefruit - I no longer serve it at all for breakfast. Too many people taking too many drugs that are affected by the fruit. Easier just to not serve it at all.

That's a shame. But where you are, maybe they wanted to get a really early start to their next destination? It always stinks when you've gone to the trouble and people don't show or don't eat.
Knock wood, I haven't had a breakfast no show in a year in business. A couple of late comers. Several room service guests that just picked at their breakfast (the rooms that usually request room service do have microwaves to heat up the food, too).
Always kills me when we throw away expensive fruit though.....

That's a shame. But where you are, maybe they wanted to get a really early start to their next destination? It always stinks when you've gone to the trouble and people don't show or don't eat.
Knock wood, I haven't had a breakfast no show in a year in business. A couple of late comers. Several room service guests that just picked at their breakfast (the rooms that usually request room service do have microwaves to heat up the food, too).
Always kills me when we throw away expensive fruit though......
No, no early departure. They just didn't eat. And we never met all of them. One person got the keys and paid and just handed the keys to the others in the party. When they left we didn't see them, either. One person handed in the keys and the rest went out the front door.

This morning I took no chances and served Baked Pineapple Toast - and they were on time! I got requests for the recipe too!
I baked the bread last night (we were out of bread anyway) and I sliced it quite thick. Fruit was mango (50 cents), strawberries ($2 for a pound), and a handful of blueberries - almost all gone. The baked pineapple toast was demolished. Juices today were OJ and blueberry/pomagranete, muffins were carrot with walnuts and chopped prunes, and the coffee was Java Estates (Kenya yesterday).
I rarely have anyone not have breakfast (and we are so small it is hard to just sneak out). I have had a few request breakfast to go and have received rave reviews of my solution to that.
Bree, I am sorry you had so many people with such Plebian tastes.

Always kills me when we throw away expensive fruit though......
No, no early departure. They just didn't eat. And we never met all of them. One person got the keys and paid and just handed the keys to the others in the party. When they left we didn't see them, either. One person handed in the keys and the rest went out the front door.
I"d take it as a gift...they paid, they stayed, they want away...and you didn't even have to see 'em!
It bugs me too, but sometimes it's easier to just see it as a "treat".

Maybe, per usual, people don't read or listen and they thought it was continental, so went out and got some fast food. or b) they were just inconsiderate guests.
What a waste of $ and time.

Maybe, per usual, people don't read or listen and they thought it was continental, so went out and got some fast food. or b) they were just inconsiderate guests.
What a waste of $ and time..
"Maybe, per usual, people don't read or listen and they thought it was continental, so went out and got some fast food."
Yup, that third word in Bed & BREAKFAST can really throw some folks for a loop. LOL
Given the choice between a high quality, already paid for, lovingly prepared and served breakfast on nice dishes and a Egg McMuffin, its Mickey D's for me. LOLOL
"b) they were just inconsiderate guests."
The part of the group that didn't engage the innkeeper in the slightest even to the point of taking a moment to introduce themselves or offer thanks might fall into that category.
We wish the male half of the three time guests who just checked out had done us a favor and left before dawn and met the wonderful wife on the corner after breakfast.
Anybody else get many of the "expert, knows it all, loves raising very controversial topics at breakfast to provoke a response out of us or the other guests, offers multiple unsolicited advice on things about the B&B NOBODY else has ever complained about or even cares about, picks your brain for three mornings about what to see and do then takes piles of maps, guidebooks, etc. then doesn't go to any of the attractions you spent a half hour telling him about, etc."?
The first year, we let him get under our skin a little which he seems to really enjoy. The second time we were prepared and didn't go there. This time was the worst and he was relentless in his pursuit of an argument but couldn't get one and left in a huff and very disgruntled. I think the wife apologized roughly three dozen times on her way out. We have the feeling that she does a lot of that for him.
Came an inch from telling him that the only reason we even accepted this year's reservation was because of the economy.
Well, thats only partially true. We actually are optimists and just assumed by the third time, he'd "get it" or the wonderful wife would have prepped him on good manners in other people's homes and around strangers. Or maybe the wife would tell him, "Hey, I love the place and these nice folks keep letting us come back and this time they gave us an even bigger return guest discount than normal, could you just put a lid on it for three days?"
The very first morning, he goes on this fifteen minute very, racist rant and the other guests, his wife and myself physically left the room and my dear better half did what she could to diffuse the situation. She got the diplomacy award and a nice foot and backrub to boot.
"What a waste of $ and time."
Luckily, I love fruit and baked goodies. The wated time part is the toughest one to rationalize.

Joe Bloggs said:
You know me...part of the check-in spiel is what's for breakfast in the morning along with the 'no allergies, I presume' so at least one of them knew what was cooking! I guess it's getting to that time of the year where I need to add, 'And you'll be joining us for breakfast?' I should start writing it down on their reg sheet so I have notes later on! Said 'yes' didn't bother to show or say no later on! I could also say, 'If you change your mind, please leave a note on the desk.'

Here's a thought...was this group celebrating something together?
Sometimes the old Mickey D's Egg McMuffin is THE BEST hangover cure! It' the grease...

Sometimes the old Mickey D's Egg McMuffin is THE BEST hangover cure! It' the grease....
InnsiderInfo said:
Sometimes the old Mickey D's Egg McMuffin is THE BEST hangover cure! It' the grease...
I don't think so, they were here for a class. As a matter of fact, I was kind of surprised when I didn't hear a peep out of them after 7 PM. I thought were out and that I'd hear them roll in after midnight! But I think they were all asleep very early.
As for the grease, they could have had that with MY breakfast, too.
wink_smile.gif

Joe Bloggs said:
You know me...part of the check-in spiel is what's for breakfast in the morning along with the 'no allergies, I presume' so at least one of them knew what was cooking! I guess it's getting to that time of the year where I need to add, 'And you'll be joining us for breakfast?' I should start writing it down on their reg sheet so I have notes later on! Said 'yes' didn't bother to show or say no later on! I could also say, 'If you change your mind, please leave a note on the desk.'
Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Yep just inconsiderate.

Sometimes the old Mickey D's Egg McMuffin is THE BEST hangover cure! It' the grease....
InnsiderInfo said:
I don't think so, they were here for a class. As a matter of fact, I was kind of surprised when I didn't hear a peep out of them after 7 PM. I thought were out and that I'd hear them roll in after midnight! But I think they were all asleep very early.
wink_smile.gif

I highly doubt that! And I should have edited my post to say I've HEARD that this is a good hangover cure...of course I would NEVER have need for such a thing...
tounge_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
wink_smile.gif

I highly doubt that! And I should have edited my post to say I've HEARD that this is a good hangover cure...of course I would NEVER have need for such a thing...
tounge_smile.gif

I said that because we had sausage and egg this morning! I could have greased it up big time for them! But, because I didn't see all of them, I don't know.

Back