Breakfast with your guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do not have breakfast with the guests. Too busy prepping, cooking, serving and clearing promptly. DH will often have a casual cup of coffee with them while breakfast is in progress, to see to needs I can't, while in the kitchen. We aim for good food and prompt, efficient but non-obtrusive service. I also want to get the bulk of the clean up accomplished before one of the guests wanders in to the kitchen afterward to make a comment or ask a question. (door not yet installed) I usually make it. We make it look easy.
wink_smile.gif

-KathleenM

We do not have breakfast with the guests. Too busy prepping, cooking, serving and clearing promptly. DH will often have a casual cup of coffee with them while breakfast is in progress, to see to needs I can't, while in the kitchen. We aim for good food and prompt, efficient but non-obtrusive service. I also want to get the bulk of the clean up accomplished before one of the guests wanders in to the kitchen afterward to make a comment or ask a question. (door not yet installed) I usually make it. We make it look easy.
wink_smile.gif

-KathleenM.
Not sure how sloppy a cook you are but our kitchen is completely open to the dining room and guest see the whole thing all the time. We just have to accept that part and we try to keep things as neat as possible during the serving of brekkie. Still, guests will come right up and want to fill water bottles in the completely full of dishes sink and it doesn't seem to faze them at all. Makes me batty, so I take the water bottles and fill them myself!
All that to say, unless it routinely looks like a bomb went off, most guests just don't care about the same things we do. We have to do the cleanup in full view of everyone and sometimes guests will just gather at the counter to talk while hubs puts the dishes in the dishwasher, cleans up the counters and then scrubs the floor on hands & knees. Guests are still talking but now hubs is crawling around on the floor. So, seriously, a lot of people are just happy to have someone to talk to about their pet peeves and they don't care what else is going on.

We want to let people enjoy each other, the other guests, and their breakfast conversation. We try to be not intrusive at all. I have been known to stand like most servers in restaurants and wait until someone was finished with part of a conversation before clearing a plate or offering coffee refills. I've had single travelers that really enjoy their alone time so I don't foist myself on them either. They're happy with the newspaper or some other reading material. Sometimes biz guests are checking their messages, etc. They probably enjoy the respite from other stuff. You just have to try and read people.
If people are hanging out, I'll go in with coffee and ask if they need any help with plans for the day. Often we've been asked to sit down and eat with people but we decline. If they've finished up and are just enjoying coffee and they ask me to sit down, sometimes I will but that is rare.
I've only enjoyed breakfast with inn-mates or family and close friends....and that was when there were no other guests at the time.

We deliver breakfast to them, but even if we didn't we would never sit down with them except for the cup of coffee chat. There is a lovely B&B in a town south of us and I will no longer refer guests there because the innkeepers sit down with them at every breakfast and the wife just talks and talks and talks and talks! I heard back from guests of ours who stayed with them once that they hated the fact the innkeepers plopped themselves down at the table and they called it "creepy".

I have 2 B&B cottage type units.Breakfast comes up on a tray and the guest very often end up eating in bed.........NO I have never eaten with them...
wink_smile.gif
Mary in Bridgewater Va..
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
I have 2 B&B cottage type units.Breakfast comes up on a tray and the guest very often end up eating in bed.........NO I have never eaten with them...
wink_smile.gif
Mary in Bridgewater Va.
It would make us all wonder if you had.....
embaressed_smile.gif

I eat prior to preparing the meal and don't eat what I serve the guests. If they invite me, I will sit down and join them for coffee. Those usually end up being the best guests anyway..
SweetiePie said:
I eat prior to preparing the meal and don't eat what I serve the guests. If they invite me, I will sit down and join them for coffee. Those usually end up being the best guests anyway.
This is exactly what we do. Besides, we get so many one-nighters I'd get sick of pancakes very quickly.

Depends, on lots of things; but I am surprised at the number of responses that consider sitting down with guests to be an absolute No-No. My set up sounds somewhat like Bree's, kitchen open to dining area and separated only by a counter, actually a bar one can sit at. I get a little frustrated at the number of guests who think it is O.K. to enter and do what ever they want in my kitchen. I tell them to stay out of the kitchen area when I'm busy with last minute preparation right before breakfast is set out, but at other times I just put up with it. I also have a hard time keeping the majority of my guest from clearing the table even though I tell them, "that's my job, please just relax and enjoy yourself". I can't clear everything at once and as soon as I take one plate to the sink people are up trying to help.
My guests eat family style at one or two table that will each seat 6 or 8 in a pinch. And, sometime if the weather is nice some folks can sit on the deck if they prefer. After I have made sure everyone has everything they need and breakfast is well along I quite often sit down with my guests and nibble on a bit of food, not necessarily all they are having. Most folks seem to enjoy the opportunity to ask questions and talk about their plans for the day with me. If my guests are having a great conversation among themselves, as they usually do, I would not jump in the middle of it; but i also don't consider myself to just be the "dumb waiter". After all these people are sitting at a common table with other folks they don't know, unless they are a group and do know each other. They have just met, or maybe they met the evening before, and there we all sit at the breakfast table having an equal opportunity conversation which is usually peasant, informative and about a variety of subjects, sometimes even including politics.
I don't think any of my guests have ever been offended to have me sit and chat with them at the breakfast table, but maybe I'm wrong and they are just too polite to even act put out in the slightest. I don't do it if it seems inappropriate which depending on the guests present sometimes it does.. But more often than not it seems a very natural and comfortable thing to do for all involved.

I don't think it would be cool to take my porridge to the table.
regular_smile.gif
Seriously, I am busy plating food, serving the guests, pouring coffee. Once I've cleared the table I will sit down and have coffee and a wee chat with the guests. Because it's my home I want guests to feel like it is my home and as such I feel a hostess can indeed have a visit and chat with guests but I'm also there to look after them. I guess I try to maintain a balance - yes I have a business and yes it's in my home. My guest book is full of comments about how much they enjoyed the conversation and visit at breakfast.

Depends, on lots of things; but I am surprised at the number of responses that consider sitting down with guests to be an absolute No-No. My set up sounds somewhat like Bree's, kitchen open to dining area and separated only by a counter, actually a bar one can sit at. I get a little frustrated at the number of guests who think it is O.K. to enter and do what ever they want in my kitchen. I tell them to stay out of the kitchen area when I'm busy with last minute preparation right before breakfast is set out, but at other times I just put up with it. I also have a hard time keeping the majority of my guest from clearing the table even though I tell them, "that's my job, please just relax and enjoy yourself". I can't clear everything at once and as soon as I take one plate to the sink people are up trying to help.
My guests eat family style at one or two table that will each seat 6 or 8 in a pinch. And, sometime if the weather is nice some folks can sit on the deck if they prefer. After I have made sure everyone has everything they need and breakfast is well along I quite often sit down with my guests and nibble on a bit of food, not necessarily all they are having. Most folks seem to enjoy the opportunity to ask questions and talk about their plans for the day with me. If my guests are having a great conversation among themselves, as they usually do, I would not jump in the middle of it; but i also don't consider myself to just be the "dumb waiter". After all these people are sitting at a common table with other folks they don't know, unless they are a group and do know each other. They have just met, or maybe they met the evening before, and there we all sit at the breakfast table having an equal opportunity conversation which is usually peasant, informative and about a variety of subjects, sometimes even including politics.
I don't think any of my guests have ever been offended to have me sit and chat with them at the breakfast table, but maybe I'm wrong and they are just too polite to even act put out in the slightest. I don't do it if it seems inappropriate which depending on the guests present sometimes it does.. But more often than not it seems a very natural and comfortable thing to do for all involved..
sunburst2 said:
I don't think any of my guests have ever been offended to have me sit and chat with them at the breakfast table, but maybe I'm wrong and they are just too polite to even act put out in the slightest. I don't do it if it seems inappropriate which depending on the guests present sometimes it does.. But more often than not it seems a very natural and comfortable thing to do for all involved.
I have never told an innkeeper - Do you mind leaving the table, we are having a conversation here, or we don't want you to eat with us. I didn't like it, however, and won't go back to that particular inn.
I also don't like grandkids running through an inn and having to barricade ourselves in our room, did I say anything? No. I am not that fond of innkeepers sitting on the porch drinking with their guests either. There seems to be a line that is crossed in my estimation. But really we can all do whatever we deem fits us, our personalities and our inns. But someone asked this question - so we are all giving honest replies.
Many guests love innkeeper interaction, this is why they stay at small B&B's! I am opposed to having to "entertain" guests with a song and dance. True story: Guests checked out today and I kid you not, she actually said in parting "Thank you for entertaining us" now in her mind, that was a compliment and in mine...well nuff said. Apparently some people do not get out much and our conversation WAS entertaining to her.

We also do not sit and breakfast with the guests. I always have things to do in the kitchen and feel this is their time. They are outside all year round on the terrace with a view of the garden and pool.
We have been asked but have declined. We do have guests (mom and daughter) that have been about 10 times since November ... they have asked and once only have we sat down, we had toast and coffee and they thought we should have more ... last time we have ever sat to eat. I would weigh so much more than I do if I ate the breakfasts that we serve. My heart would be screaming !!
We will though, have coffee when the pan dulce or dessert has been served and they ask us to join them. When they are lingering after breakfast I will put on a fresh pot of coffee and this is when we are also asked to join them. We do for a bit and then excuse ourselves to take care of tasks in the kitchen if we feel the need to excuse ourselves.
Love our guests ... but sometimes we love our space as well :)

I don't think any of my guests have ever been offended to have me sit and chat with them at the breakfast table, but maybe I'm wrong and they are just too polite to even act put out in the slightest. I don't do it if it seems inappropriate which depending on the guests present sometimes it does.. But more often than not it seems a very natural and comfortable thing to do for all involved..
sunburst2 said:
I have never told an innkeeper - Do you mind leaving the table, we are having a conversation here, or we don't want you to eat with us. I didn't like it, however, and won't go back to that particular inn.
I also don't like grandkids running through an inn and having to barricade ourselves in our room, did I say anything? No. I am not that fond of innkeepers sitting on the porch drinking with their guests either. There seems to be a line that is crossed in my estimation. But really we can all do whatever we deem fits us, our personalities and our inns. But someone asked this question - so we are all giving honest replies.
Many guests love innkeeper interaction, this is why they stay at small B&B's! I am opposed to having to "entertain" guests with a song and dance. True story: Guests checked out today and I kid you not, she actually said in parting "Thank you for entertaining us" now in her mind, that was a compliment and in mine...well nuff said. Apparently some people do not get out much and our conversation WAS entertaining to her.
We will join guests for wine in the evening if they ask us. It's much more casual than brekkie. I don't have anything pressing to do and everyone is relaxed. If I had a 'cocktail hour' I'd join in that as well as I think guests expect it at that point. Sort of a 'meet & greet'.
Another thing abot the brekkie...who would the innkeeper sit with if they have separate tables like I do? You can't turn your back on any group and the few, very few, times we HAVE sat down with the late eaters, early risers have walked thru with a look like, 'Oh, you're sitting with them, are they friends?' so you know feelings get hurt. (Yeah, we always have to keep in mind the couple of guests who like to be 'in the know' on everything.)

sunburst2 said:
We will join guests for wine in the evening if they ask us. It's much more casual than brekkie. I don't have anything pressing to do and everyone is relaxed. If I had a 'cocktail hour' I'd join in that as well as I think guests expect it at that point. Sort of a 'meet & greet'.
Another thing abot the brekkie...who would the innkeeper sit with if they have separate tables like I do? You can't turn your back on any group and the few, very few, times we HAVE sat down with the late eaters, early risers have walked thru with a look like, 'Oh, you're sitting with them, are they friends?' so you know feelings get hurt. (Yeah, we always have to keep in mind the couple of guests who like to be 'in the know' on everything.)
Bree said:
Easy answer - the best lookin' one

Generally, no, but there's always exceptions, right?
Most of the time we serve, we leave 'em alone a while, we pop in and out. If they want to talk to us we linger. If they're having their own conversation we amble off. Often we get into a conversation, me standing the whole time. Once in a while I'll sit down to continue the conversation.
But there's always that exception... Like the solitary guest who's been here three times and specifically requested me to eat breakfast with her... so I did the one morning that she was the only guest in the house. The next day I was back to my regular routine, running and serving, while she sat with the other guests.
This morning one guest ate her early breakfast on the patio, while I was preparing the second breakfast. I sent one of the ds5x2 out to see if she needed anything... yes, company! So he sat and chatted with her and they were both happy!
=)
Kk.

Most of the time we serve, we leave 'em alone a while, we pop in and out. If they want to talk to us we linger. If they're having their own conversation we amble off. Often we get into a conversation, me standing the whole time. Once in a while I'll sit down to continue the conversation.
But there's always that exception... Like the solitary guest who's been here three times and specifically requested me to eat breakfast with her... so I did the one morning that she was the only guest in the house. The next day I was back to my regular routine, running and serving, while she sat with the other guests.
This morning one guest ate her early breakfast on the patio, while I was preparing the second breakfast. I sent one of the ds5x2 out to see if she needed anything... yes, company! So he sat and chatted with her and they were both happy!
=)
Kk..
Holy cow, they're 5 years old now? When did THAT happen?

=)
Kk..
Bree said:
I blinked...
Actually, they'll be 6 in November!!
=)
Kk.

One reason I do not sit down and eat is because we are waiting for them to finish to see if anything is left for the "garbage disposal" - another reason I serve family style, what is left is OK for the "garbage disposal" to dispose of. Otherwise I get Cocoa Wheats - the only thing DH knows how to make and he likes to say he makes my breakfast. UGH.

wink_smile.gif

-KathleenM.
Not sure how sloppy a cook you are but our kitchen is completely open to the dining room and guest see the whole thing all the time. We just have to accept that part and we try to keep things as neat as possible during the serving of brekkie. Still, guests will come right up and want to fill water bottles in the completely full of dishes sink and it doesn't seem to faze them at all. Makes me batty, so I take the water bottles and fill them myself!
All that to say, unless it routinely looks like a bomb went off, most guests just don't care about the same things we do. We have to do the cleanup in full view of everyone and sometimes guests will just gather at the counter to talk while hubs puts the dishes in the dishwasher, cleans up the counters and then scrubs the floor on hands & knees. Guests are still talking but now hubs is crawling around on the floor. So, seriously, a lot of people are just happy to have someone to talk to about their pet peeves and they don't care what else is going on.
Bree said:
It is uncanny how similar some of our experiences are.
I don't care how many times I brag to our guests about our wonderful well water is, a fact that is confirmed by the lab it gets tested by every quarter, water bottles can only be washed, rinsed five times and refilled AT the kitchen sink right when we both are up to our elbows in dirty dishes, foodstuffs, etc..
Its not like they all are water snobs either insisting on only filling from the reverse osmosis filter. The water coming out of the kitchen faucet is no different than the one in their bathroom.
Or the only time the "lonely puppy" guest who is looking for anything with a pulse to talk to, will find me is when I have fifteen other things to do.

wink_smile.gif

-KathleenM.
Bree said:
I don't care how many times I brag to our guests about our wonderful well water is, a fact that is confirmed by the lab it gets tested by every quarter, water bottles can only be washed, rinsed five times and refilled AT the kitchen sink right when we both are up to our elbows in dirty dishes, foodstuffs, etc..
Its not like they all are water snobs either insisting on only filling from the reverse osmosis filter. The water coming out of the kitchen faucet is no different than the one in their bathroom.
Or the only time the "lonely puppy" guest who is looking for anything with a pulse to talk to, will find me is when I have fifteen other things to do.
Actually, here they are better off filling water bottles in the kitchen because that water is filtered. Otherwise our water is highy chlorinated.
Next time you get a 'chatty cathy (or charlie)' try this on them...glance at your watch and yell, 'Time to leap into action!' and then jump up. It works like a charm for hubs. Most of the time he will chat, tho, unless he's having one of his bad days. (Disabled vet, he sometimes just can't stand the pain.)

wink_smile.gif

-KathleenM.
Bree said:
Actually, here they are better off filling water bottles in the kitchen because that water is filtered. Otherwise our water is highy chlorinated.
Next time you get a 'chatty cathy (or charlie)' try this on them...glance at your watch and yell, 'Time to leap into action!' and then jump up. It works like a charm for hubs. Most of the time he will chat, tho, unless he's having one of his bad days. (Disabled vet, he sometimes just can't stand the pain.)
Bree said:
All of our water is filtered and we understand the "routine" for some, but its the timing that sucks. Unless they use the reverse osmosis faucet in the kitchen, the water coming out of their bathroom sink is exactly the same pure, sweet, well water as in the kitchen.
Our open kitchen format appears to not be unique or without its challenges as far as keeping folks from getting "too at home" but we try to make it work as best we can.
The cabinet rummagers, stealth cookers when we're not around, seem to take us for idiots. We know our stuff, its proper places and know when somebody has been rooting around.
Our "salad" is not a meal guests took the cake though. Our local health code forbids guests from using the kitchen to make any "meals" for both hygienic and safety reasons. These two would come back each night, go through all the cabinets, draws, etc. for whatever they needed and make themselves a huge dinner salad. Sure, they modestly cleaned up after themselves, but it was the principle of the thing, that they thought the "semantics" argument would actually fly with us.
Thankfully, we don't get very many folks who can't tell the difference between a vacation rental with ful lkitchen privileges and a B&B with whatever local regulations it must follow.

On the topic at hand, we never eat with guests unless they are multiple repeat guests, are the only ones staying at the time and specifically request it.
Like so many have stated, we are here to serve the guests and maybe add a little camaraderie, day planning assistance, etc.
Its not that we don't develop some good friendships with folks or fear getting too "chummy", its just that the dynamic in place is that of guest and service provider first, friend or acquiantance second.

Back