Breaking down the perfect review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happykeeper

Reaction score
We received what I think is perfect review. I thought it might be worth sharing why I thought so. Perhaps it will help those that are beginning or getting ready to start think about how a specific written marketing plan comes to fruition.
Experience the ...(location).........away from the tourist madness”
What a great title for a property that is branded as a singular destination. This will really appeal to our idea of the perfect guest.

My wife and I arrived at (property name) after 4 days at one of the mega-resorts. What a welcome change. With only 4 guest rooms, there is none of the hubub, and you aren't sacrificing anything in terms of that pampered feeling. The hosts (our names) will greet you warmly and look after your needs in an attentive but unobtrusive manner. This is definitely more like a small inn than a B&B. (our names)designed and built the house themselves. Your hosts' artistic sense is evident everywhere, from the architectural details, to the muted tones of walls and tiles, to the tasteful decorations (fresh tropical flowers everywhere, plus beautiful artwork, including ((husband's name) feather art).
This goes right to the heart of the market we are working to bring in.
The rooms are spacious, and the bathrooms (en suite) are almost as large. Each room has a private balcony, but there is also a large front porch with comfortable seating and pleasant views of the native plants spaced around the grounds. Both hosts have a deep knowledge of (our area) history, culture, and attractions. As we left, I felt that I had experienced a low-key enculturation--definitely NOT something available at the mega-resorts.
We have worked so hard to establish -Relaxed luxury in a culturally appropriate setting- as our brand and this was very gratifying to read and a key attraction to who we want to stay with us.
No sacrifice on the food front either. (my name) breakfasts were fantastic. A different array of exotic tropical fruits each morning, along with locally-sourced meats and produce. (my name) home-made sausage, served with buckwheat pancakes, was great. There is no dining room as such, but with advance request, (our names) will prepare delicious light dinner fare, which varies (by day) from home-made pizza to panko-crusted Ahi tuna, to a cold meat, cheese, and veggie platter.
When we transitioned to an inn and added dinner, this was exactly what we hoped it would do - set us apart and make us a destination.
There are always snacks available, including an array of complimentary drinks in Rusty Junior--the refrigerator on the side porch which contains soft drinks, iced tea, beer, and white wine. Coolers and ice packs are available for your day's outing, as are umbrellas, maps, and guide books.
One of our funniest marketing successes is Rusty Junior. He gets magnets from all around the world and he is showing up more and more in reviews. Having this kind of special and fun brand helps separate us other places to stay. This line also demonstrates how "abundance" creates value, which has long been a mantra at our property.
The setting is somewhat remote (the closest restaurant is about a 10-minute drive, and it is serviceable at best), but you come here to relax. Go to (the resorts) for an action-packed scene; come here to rest in a comfortable, luxurious setting. Though isolated, the main section of (main tourist attraction) is only 30 miles away, and there is a separate "unit" of the attraction just a 5-minute drive away, where you can experience hikes in lava-strewn fields and forest (Saturday & Sunday only)
Remote is a marker that made us cringe early on, but we now where it as a badge of honor. Here it helps steer away the spoiled traveler who wants a chain coffee shop around the corner and makes it clear that adventuring away from the crowds will be rewarded.
Green Features: Thoughtful use of locally-sourced materials in both the construction of the house and the food served.
We have been adding in Locally Sourced as a brand for a while now, and we are just now seeing it show up more and more. This is a trend that is exploding across the country and our area is no exception.
This came from a level 4 reviewer and captured just about everything about us. No paid marketing can duplicate the words of our guests. It thoughtfully broke down what our brands are and explained how they are working to create a unique experience for the discriminating guest. People are most generous with their words, but this was perhaps one of the most gratifying confirmations of our marketing plan that I have ever read.

That was wonderful. You have done your job the best way you can. Now you are receiving the well deserve pat on the back. Congratulations.

awesome..to achieve exactly whay you planned for
thumbs_up.gif

awesome..to achieve exactly whay you planned for
thumbs_up.gif
Thanks El. That was the actual point.
I realize that not everyone is running a business with the idea that it will have a value at the end. Goodness knows we took more than a couple of years to actually have a business plan. I just wanted to show that once we implemented a business plan, and by default a marketing plan, we were able to translate that into a what a guest sees and says.
I do appreciate the pat on the back, but I hope there is a bigger message. I hope those that come onto the forum as new innkeepers and as innkeepers in the making will see that this has been very helpful in plotting a successful course in our industry.

I especially like the way you have dissected the review in light of your goals. Very helpful to all of us. You should be proud to have attracted exactly the kind of guests you are aiming for. When that happens it is win-win!
thumbs_up.gif

I especially like the way you have dissected the review in light of your goals. Very helpful to all of us. You should be proud to have attracted exactly the kind of guests you are aiming for. When that happens it is win-win!
thumbs_up.gif
Thanks SS- I have become a believer in a written plan with categorical goals and plans of action. It has made it much easier to focus on them. It's a nice review and all, but what made me proud was that our guests (or at least this one) could see those goals in our work and capture them as if they had been reading our marketing plan.
I am also excited that we are demonstrating our value as a business right when we are broadcasting our intent to transition.

Back