Breaking In

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so another frost warning ... out i go to the garden in the back of my sister's house (i'm house sitting) to pick all the beans i can.
go back to the house and the back screen door with metal grill has shut fast. no key. no cell phone. i walk around the kitchen, knowing that many of the storm windows are not closed around the house. just the screens are down. with hardly a blink, i am able to push up a screen and open a window. there is a table just inside the window with an old 'boom box' radio on it which i let fall to the floor. i push a plastic lawn chair up to the house but i'm reluctant to try to climb through the window which is shoulder high when i'm standing on the chair.
i cross my fingers and set out to the neighboring houses looking for a fit, good semaritan, someone i know, who will climb through the window for me and let me in the house. BINGO! i find one.
my hero. he's through the window in a flash and lets me in. chats a minute and leaves.
you know what i'm thinking now. it was SO EASY for someone to get into the house. someone could be breaking in without 'breaking' a thing. now i've got to go around and close all the storm windows.
... soon as i blanche and freeze the damn beans!
just a reminder
heart.gif

Yes, it would be easy here - if they could get on to one of our porch roofs. I keep all windows accessing those porch roofs on latch as fire escape. The large windows at the front have 2 latches. If there was an emergency, I can envision them with one open and one shut so unable to get out. When my "season" ends, I lock them for the winter - to seal out the cold. Fortunately I live in a small City and the Police Station is in view as I sit here. We have so little crime here that when someone "keyed" some cars in a used car lot (to get back at the $%^&* owner of the lot), it made front page news in our weekly.

Our house has so much glass that someone has but to smash a window to get in. Fortunately, we are situated a quarter of a mile into the woods and hidden from view of the main road. We have our extra keys well hidden.
We recently took down a 200' section of fence near the front of our property because it was about to fall down anyway. I cleared the fence line with tractor and herbicides then waited three days for the fencing crew to come and put up the new fence and gate. This fence section was near a small barn where we store scrap lumber, large tractor accessories etc. We also had our small utility trailer, some old furniture and a dilapidated old paddle boat stored there.
Keep in mind that we live way way way out in the boonies and that this area is at the end of a dead in road. Someone came one night and took the trailer loaded with the boat, the furniture and a brand new pump.
The trailer I miss because I used it all over the property for hauling rocks and wood etc., the pump, though unused, was new and I could have sold it. Had they asked they could have had the other stuff.
We now have new lockable gates and the fence has been repaired, but the horse is already out of the barn. I haven't lost any sleep over it, but it's the principal of the thing.

Our house has so much glass that someone has but to smash a window to get in. Fortunately, we are situated a quarter of a mile into the woods and hidden from view of the main road. We have our extra keys well hidden.
We recently took down a 200' section of fence near the front of our property because it was about to fall down anyway. I cleared the fence line with tractor and herbicides then waited three days for the fencing crew to come and put up the new fence and gate. This fence section was near a small barn where we store scrap lumber, large tractor accessories etc. We also had our small utility trailer, some old furniture and a dilapidated old paddle boat stored there.
Keep in mind that we live way way way out in the boonies and that this area is at the end of a dead in road. Someone came one night and took the trailer loaded with the boat, the furniture and a brand new pump.
The trailer I miss because I used it all over the property for hauling rocks and wood etc., the pump, though unused, was new and I could have sold it. Had they asked they could have had the other stuff.
We now have new lockable gates and the fence has been repaired, but the horse is already out of the barn. I haven't lost any sleep over it, but it's the principal of the thing..
OH NO!!! That is terrible. Can you insurance cover some of that? We live at the top of a hill away by ourselves except for one neighbor across the field. We ALWAYS keep our doors locked...since few years ago, my friends "found" 2 people who called themselves "guests" in their kitchen when they returned home from the store one day!!! That's what they told their neighbor and he told them to go on in and make themselves at home!!!! NOT!!!!!! THey learned their lesson...their doors are always locked now too.

Back