Breaking News re goo gle

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Once again, acorn is out there with the latest news for us. Google is making a lot of changes and what may be the hot things now could go away in the future, but it's always better to be on the cutting edge rather than being left behind.
Tags

well it is just another ploy to get you to have a Goog le + Account. That's the only way it will show up. They are trying their best to become the new Face Book. I have an account, but I never use it. I have no time for it.

well it is just another ploy to get you to have a Goog le + Account. That's the only way it will show up. They are trying their best to become the new Face Book. I have an account, but I never use it. I have no time for it..
unfortunately, if 'you' don't play their game, they take their ball and go home. 'You're' left there at the bottom playing kick the can by yourself.

I know Google is supposed to be the ends all search engine, but I've started using Bing. Not out of protest, but I find that I get better search results than I do with Google.
Even working with John at ResKey, I still can't get Google Analytics to track traffic checking my calendar or making reservations. Google is turning into another Microsoft.
I like how Acorn says "You will need to work with your Webmaster / Programmer to choose the correct solution for your Website and Blog setup." Well, that's me. Now what the Hell I'm I supposed to do.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm getting too old for this.

Thank you so much for posting that. I am beside myself. They actually want to approve your face shot? And you must have a personal account? Wow. Guess if you want to be out there, the cost is your personal privacy short and sweet.

well it is just another ploy to get you to have a Goog le + Account. That's the only way it will show up. They are trying their best to become the new Face Book. I have an account, but I never use it. I have no time for it..
unfortunately, if 'you' don't play their game, they take their ball and go home. 'You're' left there at the bottom playing kick the can by yourself.
Breakfast Diva said:
I am anyway - I am the only game in town.\ - so I am always kicking the can....

Thank you so much for posting that. I am beside myself. They actually want to approve your face shot? And you must have a personal account? Wow. Guess if you want to be out there, the cost is your personal privacy short and sweet..
I don't think they're really checking your photo so much as they're making sure it's a person's picture rather than a cartoon character, etc. I've just gone in and changed mine since now it'll be used for my business listing and my previous pic was me drinking a Guinness! I didn't want to offend any non-drinkers out there.
When I did my profile, it could tell if the picture I was downloading didn't have a person's face (I tried!)
Just like facebook, you have to have a personal profile (accurate or not) before you can have the business profile. You certainly don't have to tell the truth or post on your personal page after you create it.

Thank you so much for posting that. I am beside myself. They actually want to approve your face shot? And you must have a personal account? Wow. Guess if you want to be out there, the cost is your personal privacy short and sweet..
I don't think they're really checking your photo so much as they're making sure it's a person's picture rather than a cartoon character, etc. I've just gone in and changed mine since now it'll be used for my business listing and my previous pic was me drinking a Guinness! I didn't want to offend any non-drinkers out there.
When I did my profile, it could tell if the picture I was downloading didn't have a person's face (I tried!)
Just like facebook, you have to have a personal profile (accurate or not) before you can have the business profile. You certainly don't have to tell the truth or post on your personal page after you create it.
Have been doing some checks online. Some are reporting that a profile or black and white shot not fully disclosing the face will not do, it has to be a front view color photo. Some seem to think it has to be a known tagged photo, but I don't see this could be right. It will be used to compare with other photos of you that are identified, so I would not use another persons photo...don't want to be blamed for their crimes....
Facial recognition will be used to ID you by other sources. Just sayin, it is creepy to me. BTW the EU made them take this down over there.

Have been doing some checks online. Some are reporting that a profile or black and white shot not fully disclosing the face will not do, it has to be a front view color photo. Some seem to think it has to be a known tagged photo, but I don't see this could be right. It will be used to compare with other photos of you that are identified, so I would not use another persons photo...don't want to be blamed for their crimes....
Facial recognition will be used to ID you by other sources. Just sayin, it is creepy to me. BTW the EU made them take this down over there.
The photo I just used has not been tagged by anyone.
All this stuff is creepy and an invasion of privacy in my opinion. Now, on the good side, when people do a review you will definitely know who they are and they will not be anonymous like TA. I have now done a few reviews and I'll tell ya, I'm careful about what I say because it's got my picture and name attached!

Confused about google places, local business page, profiles and all the renditions? Well explained here

so much to continually learn ... my brain can't keep up ... i have to keep pushing! it seems to me that acorn is a wealth of info.

so much to continually learn ... my brain can't keep up ... i have to keep pushing! it seems to me that acorn is a wealth of info..
I know what you mean SS. Every time I get good at one thing, they go and change it or add something new we're supposed to do! I have a feeling that this new tag thing with google will probably turn into something that everyone will have automatically, but right now when it's new, whoever does the change will have a slight edge on the competition.
I verified my google plus personal with my business which was easy, but then I authorized acorn to do the rest. It's costing more than I anticipated, but right now all of us in my region are hurting. Can't figure it out, but business is slower than it ever has been. I'm spending the money for this new feature in hopes that it will bring in a little more. Who knows???
Acorn has a lot of free information on their website. They really focus on educating innkeepers. Check it out. acorn - is (dot) com

UPDATE:
I had this done for me and it's working well for us. It's pushed us up on organic search results for our keywords and our blog is also showing movement. Google has now added these pics to their mobile searches and is giving more weight to us. What surprised me is that my pic (ugh) is now showing on all google searches where our b&b or blog is listed.
If you're in a competitive market, definitely it can make a difference!
The cost to have this done by acorn was $150. I have no idea how a do-it-yourselfer goes about it.

Just read this. What BS. So what does a huge corporation do? Add a photo of some flunky and say this is their 'face'. I DO NOT want to be the 'face' of this biz on the internet.

I find it interesting that what is implied by all this fast techno-change is that the server-side website business ("leased website") is apparently destined to become the soon-future standard (being fluid and modified on-the-fly by "professionals") instead of a static template which can be purchased (owned, edited, owner-managed) via CMS.
I think that Web 6.0 is quickly approaching and.... before we blink.... there will no such thing as a "template" anymore - as the concept of a fixed, ready-to-build webpages become obsolete. Owner-managed CMS will become a thing of the past. Constant IT management will be the standard in order to keep up with changes. We'll be at the mercy of the marketplace of professional website hosting companies. Hopefully, competition should make prices more favorable.
It's tough emerging from Web 1.0 world and waking up in a 5.0 world...just a few months ago. It was SO nice to just "launch it and leave it" back then..... Sunrise....sunset.....sunrise...sunset....

Back