bringing history home

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
This is so cool. We are putting in a small pond and waterfall. and replacing the old standing arches in the back yard with beautiful arbors and putting up a pergola. In the process of digging the pond, we have discovered the old 'carriage house and stable' that used to sit on this property. We have uncovered a brick floor, which will be the bottom of the pond (of course we will have liner over it though). But we have found the original 'footing' which caused me to 'redesign' my plan and slightly move the pond (not knowing we'd be running into brick all over the place). We have dug out so much brick. It is burried everywhere in the yard!I am going to use the old brick in the area where I'm placing a seating area next to the pond.
Then in the courses of looking for rock for the waterfall and pond, I saw an ad for 'old 1830 wine cellar hand chisseled and sawed stone'. So we went to check it out because it was just up the street. It was being dismantled because it was starting to cave in in spots and the neighborhood kids like to play in it. Found out a little history of the wine cellar (my kids played in there when we first moved there. I never got to see it standing
sad_smile.gif
) But the exciting thing is... the person who built this wine cellar, had a vinyard that neighbored our vinyard (but its not there anymore). They were in the wine making business together! But the guy who built our house not only had a vinyard, but also owned a very successful pottery business and all the wine was stored in his pottery!
Of course we bought some of the stone to use! We feel like we are bringing home a piece of history that belongs here! I'm going to make up a brouchere with pictures to give our guests, might even make some kind of plaque to place outside near the pond with the info on it.
I love stuff like this!

Cool!
I used to live near an old brickmaking kiln. We were always finding the cast offs in the yard if we dug so much as a couple of inches down!
When I went to plant a shrub last year I found were all the 'trash' went when the cellar was being expanded. Yup, exactly where I was trying to put one tiny shrub. I ended up with 15 or so bricks from the original cellar, which helps when repairs are needed.

Pls share the construction pix and finished product, would love to see them!
If you are interested in posting this on innteractive inns blog with some pix, let me know, it is open for you to write an article!

If you are interested in posting this on innteractive inns blog with some pix, let me know, it is open for you to write an article!.
I would love to share pics.. but I can't figure out how to post the pics. I have tried before to down load them from my computer but can't. They are not a link, just reg pics in a file. There is not just an easy link or button!

that is awsome, when we bought and renovated the B & B in WV we found stone stairs leading up the mountain and then some more to a stone patio it was soo much fun doing it although hard work it was like a treasure hunt to find more laid stone steps. Later we found out that the stonework that was layed throughout the property was done by italian masons in the early 1900's.

If you are interested in posting this on innteractive inns blog with some pix, let me know, it is open for you to write an article!.
I would love to share pics.. but I can't figure out how to post the pics. I have tried before to down load them from my computer but can't. They are not a link, just reg pics in a file. There is not just an easy link or button!
Click on MY ACCOUNT. Choose File Browser, Choose UPLOAD. Then upload photos from your computer. There may be a size limit ..I forget.. After you have done that, then insert the photo into the post. You have to do it first before you can put a picture in a message.

Click on MY ACCOUNT. Choose File Browser, Choose UPLOAD. Then upload photos from your computer. There may be a size limit ..I forget.. After you have done that, then insert the photo into the post. You have to do it first before you can put a picture in a message.
Thanks, I'll try this.

Back