Britain's most irritating expressions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
from JBJ - -Brilliant didn't make the list? The word used every other word in Britain (amongst other words used every other word
potty-mouth.gif
)
Britain's most irritating expressions
Researchers at Oxford University have compiled a top ten of the most irritating expressions.
Top of the list was "at the end of the day", followed by "fairly unique", reports the Daily Telegraph.
"I personally" - a phrase described by Radio 4 presenter John Humphreys as the "linguistic equivalent of having chips with rice" was third.
Also making the top ten is the grammatically incorrect "shouldn't of", instead of "shouldn't have".
The phrases appear in a book called Damp Squid, named after the mistake of confusing a squid with a squib.
The researchers who compiled the list monitor the use of phrases in a database called the Oxford University Corpus, which comprises books, papers, magazines, broadcast, the internet and other sources.
The book's author Jeremy Butterfield says many annoyingly over-used expressions actually began as office lingo, such as 24/7 and "synergy".
He said: "We grow tired of anything that is repeated too often - an anecdote, a joke, a mannerism - and the same seems to happen with some language."
The top ten most irritating phrases in full:
1 - At the end of the day
2 - Fairly unique
3 - I personally
4 - At this moment in time
5 - With all due respect
6 - Absolutely
7 - It's a nightmare
8 - Shouldn't of
9 - 24/7
10 - It's not rocket science

They are probably very annoying here as well! Especially when used as jargonese in a corporate environment. Guilty as charged on # 5 and #10!

it bugs me the way people use the word "so" now.
i.e. - i am so gonna get you
i'm so gonna go to the party
i'm so not liking...
i'm so liking that dress
Aaaagghhhhhh!

oh, also when people say
'i could care less" when it is really "i couldn't care less"

I personally (hah!) don't see anything wrong with most of these except for "shouldn't of". Then again, I'm not British.

I personally (hah!) don't see anything wrong with most of these except for "shouldn't of". Then again, I'm not British..
tle041 said:
I personally (hah!) don't see anything wrong with most of these except for "shouldn't of". Then again, I'm not British.
There is nothing offensive about them but they are said TOO often. When someone chooses one word or expression all the time. I have a relative overseas who used "absolutely" instead of the word YES. You hear it in affirmation when YOU are speaking, you hear constantly. I see it made the list too!
Do we have any words or expressions here in the states that annoy us to death? I have had a man here who said something 100 times. Now I forget what it was. !! OH I KNOW! EXACTLY. He used it like the "Absolutely" over and over again.

I had a colleague who liked to use the word irregardless. It's a ridiculous term. A double negative, it literally would mean regardfully, but people use it when they mean regardless or irrespective. Drives me nuts.

I personally (hah!) don't see anything wrong with most of these except for "shouldn't of". Then again, I'm not British..
tle041 said:
There is nothing offensive about them but they are said TOO often. When someone chooses one word or expression all the time. I have a relative overseas who used "absolutely" instead of the word YES. You hear it in affirmation when YOU are speaking, you hear constantly. I see it made the list too!
Do we have any words or expressions here in the states that annoy us to death? I have had a man here who said something 100 times. Now I forget what it was. !! OH I KNOW! EXACTLY. He used it like the "Absolutely" over and over again.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
tle041 said:
Seriously. No, really. I wouldn't lie.
Any noun turned into a verb...solution, as an example. "At the end of the day, we're absolutely so going to solution that problem if we have to work on it 24/7."
Going to go back and look at the list and see if I can get them all into one coherent sentence. Did I mention it is slow here right now?
confused_smile.gif

tle041 said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
tle041 said:
Any noun turned into a verb...solution, as an example. "At the end of the day, we're absolutely so going to solution that problem if we have to work on it 24/7."
Going to go back and look at the list and see if I can get them all into one coherent sentence. Did I mention it is slow here right now?
confused_smile.gif

2 sentences:
I personally believe, at the end of the day, at this moment in time and with all due respect to those not on board the solutioning of this fairly unique problem, that we absolutely can get more eyeballs on this with 24/7 diligence even though we shouldn't of resourced this offline. It's a nightmare, but it's not rocket science; we can sync up a paradigm shift on this bandwidth and with some blue-sky thinking get everyone to see the big picture.

Nothing aggravates me more than people who use the words "you know" 10+ times in a sentence. For example, "I went to the grocery store, you know, to buy stuff, you know, milk and bread, you know. I waited for like 20 minutes at the checkout counter, you know...etc.

What gets me is when I say something DH will say REALLY?
No, I just said it to say it. I like the sound of my own voice you idiot!

Nothing aggravates me more than people who use the words "you know" 10+ times in a sentence. For example, "I went to the grocery store, you know, to buy stuff, you know, milk and bread, you know. I waited for like 20 minutes at the checkout counter, you know...etc..
tle041 said:
Nothing aggravates me more than people who use the words "you know" 10+ times in a sentence. For example, "I went to the grocery store, you know, to buy stuff, you know, milk and bread, you know. I waited for like 20 minutes at the checkout counter, you know...etc.
I find that term to be a nervous habit. It multiplies with nerves. My spouse uses it and finally I say "NO WE DON'T KNOW!"

tle041 said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
tle041 said:
confused_smile.gif

2 sentences:
I personally believe, at the end of the day, at this moment in time and with all due respect to those not on board the solutioning of this fairly unique problem, that we absolutely can get more eyeballs on this with 24/7 diligence even though we shouldn't of resourced this offline. It's a nightmare, but it's not rocket science; we can sync up a paradigm shift on this bandwidth and with some blue-sky thinking get everyone to see the big picture.
You left out "moving forward, we're going to move ahead with this".

tle041 said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
tle041 said:
confused_smile.gif

2 sentences:
Jesse Smith said:
I only used the ones in the list and a few I remembered from a previous job! Otherwise it would have been paragraphs!

and the classic "like"
It was, like, right there, like, right in front of me, like i couldn't, like believe, i didn't like see it, you know,like, right there.
on a totally different subject, but, i used to have a female friend who swore so much that to listen to one sentence of hers was killer. every other word was aloost always the F word. if it was not the F word it was a different swear. she did not realize how much she swore even though npeople were always pointing it out to her. she was not, needless to say, a pleasant conversationalist.

and the classic "like"
It was, like, right there, like, right in front of me, like i couldn't, like believe, i didn't like see it, you know,like, right there.
on a totally different subject, but, i used to have a female friend who swore so much that to listen to one sentence of hers was killer. every other word was aloost always the F word. if it was not the F word it was a different swear. she did not realize how much she swore even though npeople were always pointing it out to her. she was not, needless to say, a pleasant conversationalist..
Two that have driven me to murder are: FebUary and LI-Berry instead of FebRUary and LibRARy. And of course there's the official state verb of Texas: "Fixin'-To"

tle041 said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
tle041 said:
confused_smile.gif

megan said:
This has always driven my dh nuts. Sometimes I would do it on purpose, just to watch his reponse. (Funny, tongue-in-cheek high pitched Argh!) But then he'll do it, too, and give himself the same response... as in, "Shall I broom the kitchen? Oh no, I just verbalized! Argh! I did it again!"
=)
Kk.

1. i LOVE a british accent no matter what they are saying
2. pet peeves?
nucular instead of nuclear and supposively instead of supposedly
also ... repeated
potty-mouth.gif
potty-mouth.gif
potty-mouth.gif
especially in the movies. yuk

tle041 said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
tle041 said:
confused_smile.gif

2 sentences:
LOL clever!

p.s. i say feb U ary
do you really say feb ru ary?
i would enrage you!

Back