Brochures, Rack Cards, or Both?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i went with rack cards - nice photos on them
but i also have a few brochures and post cards that i got as a promo from vistaprint
people will stand at my door, with something with ALL the info on it and ask me questions ... most folks don't read all of what is there - just like the website ... they don't read all of it. i don't know what percentage of folks read anything and of those that read, how much they see or remember
less seems to be more - that's my opinion
so you put a really inviting photo or two and the most important info on whatever marketing material you have
just don't forget your phone numbers and website url.
And yet, sometimes, something hits them just right...we came here because
  1. you serve breakfast in the sunroom
  2. I'm reading a book about the explorer who lived in this house
  3. the cozy duvets on the beds sounded great

That was like our innkeeper in Harper's Ferry who has that deck looking out across the mountains. As often as I could, as a guest I would sit out there (with coffee or breakfast if possible). I would make that a main header photo - stage it out and slam it on his website. It is the epidemy of relaxation.

I went to a hospitality seminar this spring and they said bookmarkers are the next up and coming thing. They think that bookmarkers might get used and they won't be thrown away as quick as a rack card. I had both made last year and they are both beautiful. I give the book markers out more because I do know that people look at them and toss most of the time. The book markers are much cheaper. When I see trifold I see a step back in time. This is just my opinion. El is so right. People do not read. They want to see if your place is nice (pictures and more pictures), where you are, if you have a website they can go to at home and if you have private baths. That is the first thing look at. The other things are gravy. They will not read all the wonderful things you think up to put on the brochure. If they book they might go back and read everything. The pictures are the most important. I learned not to put prices on at all. I have had three people tell me they booked because of the picture of the lemonade on the porch. I have this on my site, my rack card and bookmarker. I would not have dreamed this one picture would have such an impact. See pictures do grab them in the end.
sandynn.
I agree with you 100%. To me trifold brochures with a drawing look like they are from 20 years ago. Pictures are worth a thousand words....
With the amount of input that people have today & technology, we are becoming a nation of "skimmers" (maybe a word for the glossary). Get them to our websites!!! :)

Well Samster you know the only brochure that is a trifold that I love. Inn at Riverbend. You open it up and there are FEW WORDS on the front, just a wide angle beautiful view from the deck overlooking the river. She had the most effective brochure I have ever seen. But even still, she told me it is not as effective as people need to get their hands on it first! Website #1. The header pic on this website is her brochure photo.
If anyone is reading this and thinking of visiting the New River Valley SW Virginia, I highly recommend this B&B.
WAIT! Here is their brochure in PDF. Ya'll will see exactly what I am talking about!!!! Minimize it to like 50% and you will see PAGE 1 of the trifold is that deck and view. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Well Samster you know the only brochure that is a trifold that I love. Inn at Riverbend. You open it up and there are FEW WORDS on the front, just a wide angle beautiful view from the deck overlooking the river. She had the most effective brochure I have ever seen. But even still, she told me it is not as effective as people need to get their hands on it first! Website #1. The header pic on this website is her brochure photo.
If anyone is reading this and thinking of visiting the New River Valley SW Virginia, I highly recommend this B&B.
WAIT! Here is their brochure in PDF. Ya'll will see exactly what I am talking about!!!! Minimize it to like 50% and you will see PAGE 1 of the trifold is that deck and view. A picture is worth a 1000 words..
And at least $1000 for the photographer, but I am absolutely sure it was worth it. That photo alone I am convinced has gotten them LOTS of reservations.

I have handed it to guests and they booked with them. Most of our guests are already booked in elsewhere, or I would like to keep a basket of brochures from everyone here and other neat B&B's and Lodges.

WAIT! Here is their brochure in PDF. Ya'll will see exactly what I am talking about!!!! Minimize it to like 50% and you will see PAGE 1 of the trifold is that deck and view. A picture is worth a 1000 words..
That view can't be contained on a rack card :) Also, my all-time favorite tri-fold brochure ;-) I've stayed there a couple of times & of course I highly recommend it!

Back