Brochures, Rack Cards, or Both?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
The seminary (which is around the corner from me and a major target market) has said they will put my information in their new student orientation packets if I get it to them by the end of July. I am about to get pictures, and create a marketing piece. I am wondering which is better to have, brochure, rack card, or both?
I'm leaning toward trif-fold brochure because I can put a lot more information (pictures!) and it doesn't cost all that much more.
Any thoughts?
=) Kk.

I do the trifold just because of what you said, even tho I don't have any pix, just line drawings. However, for your application (getting them mailed) I would go with a rack card because it will weigh less (cost less to ship) and will fit better into a package for mailing.
You can get and awful lot of pix on the front/back along with a map, contact info, website, yadda, yadda.
My trifold is blank on the back, except for my return address, so I can tape it shut and mail it.
All my comp around here do rack cards in color with photos. I have to get with the program...

I use tri-fold because I cannot tell what I need to tell on a rack card. I want people to KNOW what we are and what we have. To me a rack card just skims. I also use a very heavy paper because I wanted people to tell from the touch, the feel of the paper, that we were a class place to go. I also stuck with the solid pink with burgundy ink so I will stand out in a sea of 4-color. I have a 10% screen of the rendering of the house that DH did for me on the inside of the tri-fold, like a watermark, but it does not get in the way of the print. Go to my web site for photos, my brochure is for informatiion. I used the back as a mailer at first and then found I was sending envelopes because I was sending info about the area also. Now I use that space to tell what is in the area to see and do.
It is things like this - a chance to get into student packets - that make it necessary to have brochures or rack cards.

I talk to lots of folks and these days a rack card well done is all you need. The point is to drive people to your web site where they can get all the information needed if they want to see photos. You can get alot of information on a rack card if you plan carefully and make it very attractive with photos as well. You don't want anything homemade. It should be professionally done to show your place off to it's best advantage.

Usually I recommend rack cards. I also suggest a less is more approach. Show some great large photos and provide the details that set you apart from everyone else. Give your contact info and drive them to your website for specifics. (Be sure to list the hours you accept calls right inline or beneath your phone number).
The problem I see with most tri-folds is that the space encourages people to get too wordy. The brochure should not have a list of your policies and all the super-fine details. It should not describe each and every room. It should not list your rates. The other problem with the tri folds is that you can only fit 1/3 the number of them in the rack, so then you have go out and fill them up more often.

I talk to lots of folks and these days a rack card well done is all you need. The point is to drive people to your web site where they can get all the information needed if they want to see photos. You can get alot of information on a rack card if you plan carefully and make it very attractive with photos as well. You don't want anything homemade. It should be professionally done to show your place off to it's best advantage..
See, this is where I'm not sure I look at rack cards/brochures the way you do. For me, they are in the tourist info centers (I rarely mail them anymore unless with a GC or someone requests other info and I throw it in there) and tourists don't always have a computer to look up the details.
At the tourist info, they have computers to use, plus a 24-hour kiosk outside with the info, address, directions, phone number and web address. But I don't see a guest using the computer to look up the places in the brochures.
Definitely professional, definitely not homemade (those stick out like a sore thumb around here).

OK... maybe I should start a poll, too! Such interesting answers...
I'm getting it professionally printed.
I'm thinking lots of big, pretty pictures. Only four rooms, so I want to show all four... if I can do it without getting cluttered.
=)
Kk.

Usually I recommend rack cards. I also suggest a less is more approach. Show some great large photos and provide the details that set you apart from everyone else. Give your contact info and drive them to your website for specifics. (Be sure to list the hours you accept calls right inline or beneath your phone number).
The problem I see with most tri-folds is that the space encourages people to get too wordy. The brochure should not have a list of your policies and all the super-fine details. It should not describe each and every room. It should not list your rates. The other problem with the tri folds is that you can only fit 1/3 the number of them in the rack, so then you have go out and fill them up more often..
People do not read..we all know that..so what is the sense of doing a wordy brochure. Put some great photos on a rack card with pertinent information and it will do you well.

I'm thinking lots of big, pretty pictures. Only four rooms, so I want to show all four... if I can do it without getting cluttered.
=)
Kk..
Go the the visitor center and gather up a variety of rack cards. Or ask some of the companies to send you samples of theirs to get some ideas. Here is one I did recently..hope I can attach it here. Well now I can find how to attach a file?????? A storm is about here, so I have to get off the computer. Will try it later

I talk to lots of folks and these days a rack card well done is all you need. The point is to drive people to your web site where they can get all the information needed if they want to see photos. You can get alot of information on a rack card if you plan carefully and make it very attractive with photos as well. You don't want anything homemade. It should be professionally done to show your place off to it's best advantage..
See, this is where I'm not sure I look at rack cards/brochures the way you do. For me, they are in the tourist info centers (I rarely mail them anymore unless with a GC or someone requests other info and I throw it in there) and tourists don't always have a computer to look up the details.
At the tourist info, they have computers to use, plus a 24-hour kiosk outside with the info, address, directions, phone number and web address. But I don't see a guest using the computer to look up the places in the brochures.
Definitely professional, definitely not homemade (those stick out like a sore thumb around here).
I think this is a good distinction to be made. Does the rack card bring you today's business or future business?
In our case we only need the rack card to bring tomorrow's business .... meaning they were here in the area, picked up our card at a winery or other attraction, and will keep us in mind for "next time". The ones that pick up our card today and call today, are almost always out of luck. We stopped placing cards at a lot of the wineries because when the wineries would start shutting down at 5 or 6 we'd start getting calls from intoxicated people looking for a place to crash and we were nearly always full. We also pulled the map off of our cards because we'd get people showing up for looky loos. Looky loos are bad enough but intoxicated looky loos we have no patience for. ;)
So I think part depends on placement. If you put your card at a visitor center, quite likely they are looking for today. If you put your card at an attraction they may be more likely to be looking for "next time". If they are looking for today, you are right, the website isn't going to help them much.
In Socks' case with them sending them out with college packets, they are likely going to be able to hit the website. As often is the case, there are no definitive answers, just some variations where you have to pick what works for your area and your goals.

=)
Kk..
Go the the visitor center and gather up a variety of rack cards. Or ask some of the companies to send you samples of theirs to get some ideas. Here is one I did recently..hope I can attach it here. Well now I can find how to attach a file?????? A storm is about here, so I have to get off the computer. Will try it later
Sorry there is a security issue with attachements on comments at the moment. For now the only place you can put an attachment is in the first post of a forum topic. Sorry for the inconvenience, I'm working on it
sad_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
Ok here is a method for attaching until they work the security bug out of the other method https://www.innspiring.com/how-to/add-attachment
sad_smile.gif

I went to a hospitality seminar this spring and they said bookmarkers are the next up and coming thing. They think that bookmarkers might get used and they won't be thrown away as quick as a rack card. I had both made last year and they are both beautiful. I give the book markers out more because I do know that people look at them and toss most of the time. The book markers are much cheaper. When I see trifold I see a step back in time. This is just my opinion. El is so right. People do not read. They want to see if your place is nice (pictures and more pictures), where you are, if you have a website they can go to at home and if you have private baths. That is the first thing look at. The other things are gravy. They will not read all the wonderful things you think up to put on the brochure. If they book they might go back and read everything. The pictures are the most important. I learned not to put prices on at all. I have had three people tell me they booked because of the picture of the lemonade on the porch. I have this on my site, my rack card and bookmarker. I would not have dreamed this one picture would have such an impact. See pictures do grab them in the end.
sandynn

went to a hospitality seminar this spring and they said bookmarkers are the next up and coming thing. They think that bookmarkers might get used and they won't be thrown away as quick as a rack card
HEY Thanks. I have bookmarkers in all the rooms for the guests. Many take, many don't.

went to a hospitality seminar this spring and they said bookmarkers are the next up and coming thing. They think that bookmarkers might get used and they won't be thrown away as quick as a rack card
HEY Thanks. I have bookmarkers in all the rooms for the guests. Many take, many don't..
Our association did bookmarkers and once our supply was gone we did not redo them. Never had any requests from innkeepers for any more. Some said they were well recieved, but obviously not enough to make it a point of asking us for any more. I use mine all the time.:)

I went to a hospitality seminar this spring and they said bookmarkers are the next up and coming thing. They think that bookmarkers might get used and they won't be thrown away as quick as a rack card. I had both made last year and they are both beautiful. I give the book markers out more because I do know that people look at them and toss most of the time. The book markers are much cheaper. When I see trifold I see a step back in time. This is just my opinion. El is so right. People do not read. They want to see if your place is nice (pictures and more pictures), where you are, if you have a website they can go to at home and if you have private baths. That is the first thing look at. The other things are gravy. They will not read all the wonderful things you think up to put on the brochure. If they book they might go back and read everything. The pictures are the most important. I learned not to put prices on at all. I have had three people tell me they booked because of the picture of the lemonade on the porch. I have this on my site, my rack card and bookmarker. I would not have dreamed this one picture would have such an impact. See pictures do grab them in the end.
sandynn.
Each of our rooms has a selection of books (that are there for the taking) and we put a rack card as a book mark in each one. The rack cards often walk even if the books don't. I'd use the rack card as a book mark ...especially over some bookmark with frilly yarn hanging off of it (but that may be a gender thing)
tounge_smile.gif

sandynn.
Each of our rooms has a selection of books (that are there for the taking) and we put a rack card as a book mark in each one. The rack cards often walk even if the books don't. I'd use the rack card as a book mark ...especially over some bookmark with frilly yarn hanging off of it (but that may be a gender thing)
tounge_smile.gif

I don't like frilly yarn either... too complicated to use! Dh harrasses me because I have all these bookmarks (well, I know they're here somewhere) and usually use a scrap of paper.
=)
Kk.

sandynn.
tounge_smile.gif

That's what I think - I'd just as soon stick a rack card in a book for my own personal bookmark. We have Select Registry bookmarks to stick in the SR books we give out, but I don't think I'd like to squeeze my rack card down to that.
Jeanne

i went with rack cards - nice photos on them
but i also have a few brochures and post cards that i got as a promo from vistaprint
people will stand at my door, with something with ALL the info on it and ask me questions ... most folks don't read all of what is there - just like the website ... they don't read all of it. i don't know what percentage of folks read anything and of those that read, how much they see or remember
less seems to be more - that's my opinion
so you put a really inviting photo or two and the most important info on whatever marketing material you have
just don't forget your phone numbers and website url

i went with rack cards - nice photos on them
but i also have a few brochures and post cards that i got as a promo from vistaprint
people will stand at my door, with something with ALL the info on it and ask me questions ... most folks don't read all of what is there - just like the website ... they don't read all of it. i don't know what percentage of folks read anything and of those that read, how much they see or remember
less seems to be more - that's my opinion
so you put a really inviting photo or two and the most important info on whatever marketing material you have
just don't forget your phone numbers and website url.
LOL... I'm imagining getting my new, fancy rack card back from the printer and thinking, "Oh crap! Where's the url?"
=)
Kk.

Back