Broken glass?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i want to get back to the broken glass question.
if the glass (s) that gets broken is in a gift shop, that's one thing
but if it's a glass in their room or in the breakfast room ... and it gets broken ... how can you charge for that? would be like charging for a broken plate which i would never do. i didn't have many glasses broken. probably a couple .... they were that heavy glassware that, if dropped, or crashed hard against one another, might chip on the edge but not shatter. and i was the dropper/crasher ... carrying too much from dining table to kitchen.
are your glasses delicate? designed in such a way that guests fumble with them and drop them?
just wondering.

Tom, we have just had this happen. Our guests reported the broken glass and said they had cleaned it all up, that they thought most of it fell in their bathroom sink. No problem said we. But when I went to clean the room after their departure, I found a noticeable "ding" in the porcelain in the sink - which is a much more important issue to us. Guests did not mention the sink damage.

Tom, we have just had this happen. Our guests reported the broken glass and said they had cleaned it all up, that they thought most of it fell in their bathroom sink. No problem said we. But when I went to clean the room after their departure, I found a noticeable "ding" in the porcelain in the sink - which is a much more important issue to us. Guests did not mention the sink damage..
Another reason I would never have glass in the bathroom. I only used disposable paper cups. I have to admit....I was cleaning our bathroom one day and I dropped my pottery soap dispenser in the sink :-( We now have a new sink :)

I got rid of glasses in the bathroom after dropping them myself more often than not. I would tumble them down the stairs too. I now use the plastic wrapped plastic cups.

How many of us use glass glasses in our own bathrooms?.
Joey Bloggs said:
How many of us use glass glasses in our own bathrooms?
In my own personal bathroom? No glasses at all, of any kind. We're simple people here.
confused_smile.gif
Who wants to keep up with all that washing?

Tom, we have just had this happen. Our guests reported the broken glass and said they had cleaned it all up, that they thought most of it fell in their bathroom sink. No problem said we. But when I went to clean the room after their departure, I found a noticeable "ding" in the porcelain in the sink - which is a much more important issue to us. Guests did not mention the sink damage..
We supply heavy clear coloured <edit> PLASTIC <edit> glasses in the bathrooms/rooms. We change them out as they get dull looking.
BBBBoB

We only have plastic glasses in the bathroom I managed to get really nice ones during the summer last year as they were doing them for picknicks etc it is less about the glass and more about protecting the sink. As I chiped a sink ones like above and was not impressed with myself. I am also the most clumsey person in the world. I do have glass glasses in the bedroom on the drinks tray.

I had a piece of glass in my right foot for years, I know I know...but I didn't go and get it cut out. It was under the surface and calloused up around it, from dropping a glass on the tile floor in Randwick where we lived when first married. It was a shard and eventually I got brave enough to cut it out on my own.

No, I would not charge them. You have to expect they will all break eventually, and probably by guests.

No charge on the glass unless they were thrown in the fireplace or something. Had an antique sofa that was damaged by some guests. Hard to nail down the culpability - was it weak before the guests were there, blah, blah, blah. We removed the sofa and put in nice looking, cheaper reproduction chairs. Made me think that guests probably did not just use sofas for their intended purpose....

Back