Broken glass?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Curious, what would you do:
We have the logo wine glasses for sale ($6.50). If a guest breaks a glass, would you put it on their bill as "sold"?

I wouldn't, although I would be tempted to if they didn't tell me they'd broken the glass.

no charge...could easily have been an accident...cost of doing business. I doubt they would break it on purpose.

I wouldn't charge them. I would hope they would leave a little extra in the room to cover it. But it happens.

I agree - no. Do you have a little sign saying You broke it - You bought it? That may make it a different answer - but I doubt it. Cost of doing business.

I take it that these were in the rooms, and able to be used by guests? If so, no - cost of doing business.
If these were in a gift shop where there is a sign - U break it, U bought it - then you could, but I would consider the manor in which it broke. Accidents happen to each of us. Neglect is a different story.

I take it that these were in the rooms, and able to be used by guests? If so, no - cost of doing business.
If these were in a gift shop where there is a sign - U break it, U bought it - then you could, but I would consider the manor in which it broke. Accidents happen to each of us. Neglect is a different story..
We did not charge, seemed petty. Have had broken as many as sold, though, but as said, cost of business.
So far (1 year), no unreported damages that were worthy of being charged. One self-reported bit of pet damage.
How frequently have long time innkeepers had to deal with major damage where you had to charge - after a guest left?

I have only charged one time. I should have charged about three times.

Only once in 10 years. Got my nose out of joint many times, but only one where we figured it wasn't just the cost of doing business.

If these were in a gift shop where there is a sign - U break it, U bought it - then you could, but I would consider the manor in which it broke. Accidents happen to each of us. Neglect is a different story..
We did not charge, seemed petty. Have had broken as many as sold, though, but as said, cost of business.
So far (1 year), no unreported damages that were worthy of being charged. One self-reported bit of pet damage.
How frequently have long time innkeepers had to deal with major damage where you had to charge - after a guest left?
Tom said:
Never.
Our worst damage was a flood and we had no way to prove/disprove that the guests caused it so we ate it...$10k. ($5k covered by insurance)
The next was a chronic bedwetter and the family paid before they left.

Tom said:
Never in 7 1/2 years (knocks on wood)

Tom said:
Once - with no comment from the guest. If it happened now, I wouldn't bother but I've learned to deal with a lot more since then.

once that i recall
two drunk brothers in town for a wedding. their room was gross and their bathroom was vile ... they were sick ... a lot. they left early, i am sure to avoid seeing me. one chambermaid threatened to quit. i ended up doing the first major cleaning. then the second, she came in and did the third with another chambermaid. it was that bad.

Now, if the glasses were thrown into the fireplace, or some other obviously NOT accidental breakage, then I'd charge them.

I have broken more of my glassware than my guests have! Just the cost of doing business!

I have broken more of my glassware than my guests have! Just the cost of doing business!.
Innkeep said:
I have broken more of my glassware than my guests have! Just the cost of doing business!
DITTO
regular_smile.gif

Back