Broken stuff

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Had a guest hand me an item she broke. She apologized, I told her not to worry. I replaced the item (which came with the inn and probably cost a whopping $1) with a knick knacky sort of temp item and put it on my list of things to get next time I'm at a home store.
Today she handed me a posh little bag from a local shop. In it was a replacement for what she had broken. To say I was stunned doesn't do justice to what I felt.
Knowing the shop, even if it was a second, it was not inexpensive.

What a very nice and thoughful guest. I am so much happier when a guest tells me something broke rather than me just finding it in pieces - or wondering where the heck it is, when they have removed all evidence. TELL me I don't bite ----- often! lol

That's fantastic. I had guests offer me $10 when they broke a $1 wine or bathroom glass. I always just said to not worry about it since they were so up front about the breakage. It's great to have nice guests!!

Winning! Good for you, it's always a nice surprise when they actually tell you something broke, but to replace it, wow!

the last thing we had broken was a toilet seat about 5 mins ago lol (I keep in a stock for these emergencies who knows what they do with them!) but the last proper thing that was broken was a mug that was dropped woman was totally gutted I told her they were two for about $3 and she insisted on paying the $3 so we would have a matching pair! bless

We had a little ceramic cow on a high shelf. A kind guest informed us that she found it was broken (we're pretty sure she didn't do it) but whoever did had broken off all four legs from the knee down then stood the cow back on the shelf as if nothing had happened with her legs in a neat little pile nearby. We wondered why she was shorter.
Our philosophy is if it can't be replaced cheaply, don't put it in a guest room.

Alibi Ike said:
Had a guest hand me an item she broke. She apologized, I told her not to worry. I replaced the item (which came with the inn and probably cost a whopping $1) with a knick knacky sort of temp item and put it on my list of things to get next time I'm at a home store.
Today she handed me a posh little bag from a local shop. In it was a replacement for what she had broken. To say I was stunned doesn't do justice to what I felt.
Knowing the shop, even if it was a second, it was not inexpensive.
that is so great!
but .... i am so wanting to know ... what was the item??

Left behind stuff...I just got a check in the mail from a guest who left something behind and I returned it to her. I don't want to jinx myself because there's a lot of summer left, but I'm claiming the 'I Have Manners' guest trophy for this year.

Back