brown bag breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee C.

Reaction score
I have a couple who are staying 2 nights. They need to leave by 5:45 their last morning and have asked me to prepare a brown bag breakfast they can eat in the car. Any suggestions for a really special send-off?
;

I would think the normal brown bag breakfast would be muffins, yogurt and/or fruit. However, if you want to provide something really special...maybe a breakfast sandwich of your own composition wrapped in wax paper.

Granola bar, muffin or homemade bread, banana, orange, hard boiled egg. To go cups for coffee/tea.

I do my egg bake in an 8 x 8 square pan and then make either the English Muffin Bread or a Cornbread in another 8 x 8. I cut the bread like a layer cake, take off the top, flip the bottom over the egg bake in the pan, then flip that whole thing. Put the "lid" back on and cut into 6 pieces. Wrap one piece for each guest in waxed paper so they can "nuke" it at any convenience store or gas station if they want it warmed or it is good cold. Add a bottle of water, fruit, yogurt, napkins and a to-go cup for their coffee and you are all set. I have gotten rave reviews with this.

Why do they need such a "special send off"? are they paying you extra to get up extra early and make it for them?
If someone must leave that early they should get whatever you give them. We usually sent ours off with muffins and some fruit, yogurt,and cofee to go. IF you want to go to the trouble, make them a "egg/cheese/ham sandwich" on a bisuit or maybe a bagel.

Why do they need such a "special send off"? are they paying you extra to get up extra early and make it for them?
If someone must leave that early they should get whatever you give them. We usually sent ours off with muffins and some fruit, yogurt,and cofee to go. IF you want to go to the trouble, make them a "egg/cheese/ham sandwich" on a bisuit or maybe a bagel..
I think this is a good point...I got to thinking about it, and any time we've had to leave a b&b early we've never asked for anything "to go", even if it was offered we declined. Firstly because I can't stomach yogurt or even fresh fruit that early in the morning, I just want my coffee. I wonder why people do think they need a special send off...because they think they payed for it? But breakfast is complimentary so if you can't be there when it's served you really shouldn't get anything.
We (as innkeepers) love our hospitality so we'll continue to cater to special needs...but I agree with Cat Lady, they ought to be happy with whatever you give 'em!

Leaving by 5:45am means they missed breakfast. :) If you have a guest fridge and can put a muffin and apple in there for them, I think that is quite gracious of you.
For us we just don;t have muffins and apples typically lying around so if you had it and can do it, then great, if you don't have indiv orange juices etc, then don't do it.
I agree with Rupert, I would never be as bold as to ask for that in the first place. Example: The restaurant doesn't open til 7am, but you want breakfast at 5:45am, so can't they make it for you to go?
Or the continental in the holiday inn is not put out til 630am, can't they make it to go for you at 545am? NO.

If someone must leave that early they should get whatever you give them. We usually sent ours off with muffins and some fruit, yogurt,and cofee to go. IF you want to go to the trouble, make them a "egg/cheese/ham sandwich" on a bisuit or maybe a bagel..
I think this is a good point...I got to thinking about it, and any time we've had to leave a b&b early we've never asked for anything "to go", even if it was offered we declined. Firstly because I can't stomach yogurt or even fresh fruit that early in the morning, I just want my coffee. I wonder why people do think they need a special send off...because they think they payed for it? But breakfast is complimentary so if you can't be there when it's served you really shouldn't get anything.
We (as innkeepers) love our hospitality so we'll continue to cater to special needs...but I agree with Cat Lady, they ought to be happy with whatever you give 'em!
I think we've only had to leave early once and nothing was offered. Their cook didn't come in until 7 and that was that.
An innmate made a lovely breakfast send off for us, tho. Sausage & egg biscuit and some other items. (Wish I could remember what else, but it was really early in the morning for me!) And we didn't even ask.

I think we've only had to leave early once and nothing was offered. Their cook didn't come in until 7 and that was that.
An innmate made a lovely breakfast send off for us, tho. Sausage & egg biscuit and some other items. (Wish I could remember what else, but it was really early in the morning for me!) And we didn't even ask.
Morticia said:
Yes! An innmate doing it is above an beyond and appreciated. I would never assume though or expect it. Unless, of course you advertise this as part of who you are as an inn. Then by all means, go for the gusto!

Morticia said:
Yes! An innmate doing it is above an beyond and appreciated. I would never assume though or expect it. Unless, of course you advertise this as part of who you are as an inn. Then by all means, go for the gusto!
The one place we stayed was fully staffed. I thought they might be able to leave a couple of day old muffins out in a bag with our name on it when I explained we had to leave to catch our plane. Nope. What the girl said was, 'Oh, you're leaving early? You'll need to pay up now.'
But I wouldn't ask anyone to get up early to make me breakfast!

well, dc asked for ideas for a 'really special send-off' ... the guests just asked for something in a brown bag.
the more emphasis i put on breakfast, the more guests who had to leave beforehand felt like they were missing something and wanted a brown bag.
i made egg sandwhiches (awesome biscuit, sausage patty, egg) that could be reheated in the micro in the guest library. there was a mini fridge in there that i put the guest bagged breakfast in. not my preference to reheat but if they want something warm and i wasn't up cooking, it worked.
kathleen's sounds great.

When we have guests leaving early, I leave a bag in the tasting room and tell them they'll find it in the guest fridge there.
We get a travel coffee cup, leave out the Tassimo singel serving coffee machine or if we're up make a pot of coffee and put it out in the airpot.
We put in a muffin, single serving butter and jam, wrapped pieces of cheese like laughing cow or swiss cheese, mini yogurt, plastic spoon. piece of fruit from the fruit bowl, chocolates for dessert. Small juice.and small water and anything around that they can much on. The idea is that they can munch during the morning as they are traveling in the car/to the airport.
We always seem to have stuff around to pack in to suprise them.
RIki

When we have guests leaving early, I leave a bag in the tasting room and tell them they'll find it in the guest fridge there.
We get a travel coffee cup, leave out the Tassimo singel serving coffee machine or if we're up make a pot of coffee and put it out in the airpot.
We put in a muffin, single serving butter and jam, wrapped pieces of cheese like laughing cow or swiss cheese, mini yogurt, plastic spoon. piece of fruit from the fruit bowl, chocolates for dessert. Small juice.and small water and anything around that they can much on. The idea is that they can munch during the morning as they are traveling in the car/to the airport.
RIki.
Thankls for all the ideas, everyone.

well, dc asked for ideas for a 'really special send-off' ... the guests just asked for something in a brown bag.
the more emphasis i put on breakfast, the more guests who had to leave beforehand felt like they were missing something and wanted a brown bag.
i made egg sandwhiches (awesome biscuit, sausage patty, egg) that could be reheated in the micro in the guest library. there was a mini fridge in there that i put the guest bagged breakfast in. not my preference to reheat but if they want something warm and i wasn't up cooking, it worked.
kathleen's sounds great..
I am amazed, tho, at the number of requests we do get for a us to get up and make breakfast for guests leaving at 6 AM or earlier. We will go as early as 7:15 but we need to sleep, too. When we tell guests that 5 AM is too early for us to get up and make breakfast they've asked us to leave them muffins and fruit. Well, we don't serve muffins here so there's nothing like that on hand.
We generally just tell them they are wlecome to help themselves to cereal and some hot drinks.
But this has me thinking that quite a lot of guests have thought we would be willing to make their breakfast for them in the wee hours. To them it is a matter of having paid for 'their' breakfast so we have to serve it to them, regardless.
And we did have the guests who trashed the kitchen because we didn't get up to make breakfast for 2 of their party of 4 at 4:30. They all left at 4:30 after they did that.

kathleen's sounds great..
I am amazed, tho, at the number of requests we do get for a us to get up and make breakfast for guests leaving at 6 AM or earlier. We will go as early as 7:15 but we need to sleep, too. When we tell guests that 5 AM is too early for us to get up and make breakfast they've asked us to leave them muffins and fruit. Well, we don't serve muffins here so there's nothing like that on hand.
We generally just tell them they are wlecome to help themselves to cereal and some hot drinks.
But this has me thinking that quite a lot of guests have thought we would be willing to make their breakfast for them in the wee hours. To them it is a matter of having paid for 'their' breakfast so we have to serve it to them, regardless.
And we did have the guests who trashed the kitchen because we didn't get up to make breakfast for 2 of their party of 4 at 4:30. They all left at 4:30 after they did that.
Morticia said:
i have never understood that trashing the kitchen thing. why so disrespectful? so hostile?
i admit to getting up at 5:30 and doing a breakfast for someone at 6 (in my pj's and a big sweater)
embaressed_smile.gif
and going back to bed for a bit. but 4 am? they better stay at gillum house.

I have lots of guests leaving early for tours, to catch ferries, etc. I give yogurt, juice box, fresh fruit and,epending on my mood they might get a bunwich (either meat or cheese if I can ask them) a muffin and maybe a slice of cheese. I make them up the night before and put the bags in the guest fridge for them.

I use to-go containers and put in a hard-boiled egg, ham, fruit salad, my homemade granola in a zip-lock bag, various breads and muffins, and butter & jam wrapped up. I also add a container of juice.

RIki.
Thankls for all the ideas, everyone.
What did you come up with? I have done this and have made hot breakfast sandwiches if it wasn't super early. Our earliest breakfast is normally 7 am during the week so I can pull off something hot from about 6:15 on. For a departure before 6, I would have muffins or some kind of sweet bread, or bagel or croissant, fruit (banana, orange or apple), vanilla yogurt, juice (orange or cranberry single servings), maybe some Babybel cheese, spoon, napkin, wet wipe, and mint. I rarely do a hard boiled egg because it doesn't seem to be that popular. This is all put in a labeled paper sack in the guest's fridge. I figure they're getting a lot more than most hotels would offer before breakfast is being served!!

Back