Bugs EEWWW

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was aware that one guest (not mine) found a large brown spider in their window. They freaked out and asked for their money back and that they could not stay there. I am in Canada so not many large bugs here. Bed bugs were a problem when I lived in the city but I have not heard of any around here..
I'm in Canada and seriously, these people need help. Spiders are a reality, everywhere. Frankly, they keep the other bugs at bay. It needs to be removed. And it is NOT cause for a refund. Nature is just that, nature.

We have a professional service come in quarterly, but there are still spiders and flies that get in the room time to time. We are out in the woods, so we are lucky it isn't worse. We put swatters in each room just in case. We did have a guest leave in the middle of the night just a few weeks ago because she found a spider in the bed...she probably brought it in on herself because she'd been fishing along the pond bank late that evening. Anyway, husband called early that morning apologizing but wife couldn't get back to sleep after that so decided to leave. We did not refund or discount. He didn't expect us to. Think he was embarrassed about it.

I used to say when I had the biz that spiders work 24 hrs a day and even an innkeeper needs to sleep sometime! Here in the SE there are bugs in the warmer months, it is a fact of life! I did move guests to another room & discounted their stay when for some very odd reason there was a unscheduled parade of small bugs in their room in a window. Very unusual as we had our properties sprayed every other month.
A palmetto bug on its back here is a dead bug even if it's still moving slightly. They still creep me out though.
Old houses have ways for any pesky insect to get in...the best we could do was have professional pest control.

JB, I'm curious as to what they did to solve the stinkbug problem (or are they still an issue?). We have them here and they are pretty daunting looking, but I assure the guests that they do not bite, sting or carry disease. I've lost TWO nights thanks to these little buggers, both were 'princesses' from NYC. For some reason, the NYC crowd gets very worked up over a stinkbug. Show them a roach or a rat and they have no problem!! Go figure!
I would have never thought in a zillion years that I would loose a guest to a stinkbug! A bedbug, yes, but not a stinkbug. No, we have not had any issues with bedbugs...thank goodness!! I even went to the extent of putting the encasements on all the mattresses and box springs. Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything to stop the stinkers!

We are all being very conservative here, we are assuming the asker is mentioning "a bug" or regional bugs, hopefully this person is not thinking insects all over a room are acceptable, of course we aren't saying that. And in fact if you live in a buggy area, then you should inspect the rooms prior to checkin each day!.
I was figuring she meant just what she said 'a' bug. Now if it was a tarantula that would put me off for sure. That's more like a small rodent than a 'bug'. But, if I were in a place where they show up with some regularity, I would like that explained to me. 'Please don't leave your door open as the spiders may come inside.'
Madeleine said:
I was figuring she meant just what she said 'a' bug. Now if it was a tarantula that would put me off for sure. That's more like a small rodent than a 'bug'. But, if I were in a place where they show up with some regularity, I would like that explained to me. 'Please don't leave your door open as the spiders may come inside.'
In our state the last few years we had the epidemic of marmorated stink bugs, and the first thing I ask a guest is if the have them at home or have encountered them. As some will attest who live here they were collecting them by the hundreds and thousands at a time, they were destroying vineyards and orchards and crops. War was waged on these rotten insects!
For us (although we also have had the wonderful stink bug problem) the big problem was the "lady bug" that was actually something else that looked like a lady bug. They covered the sides of houses (fortunately I did not have hordes in MY house) and my cousin in Ohio siad she walked into her kitchen and one was was covered in lady bugs. She got out the vaccuum and sucked them into the bag and then threw the bag in the garbage.

JB, I'm curious as to what they did to solve the stinkbug problem (or are they still an issue?). We have them here and they are pretty daunting looking, but I assure the guests that they do not bite, sting or carry disease. I've lost TWO nights thanks to these little buggers, both were 'princesses' from NYC. For some reason, the NYC crowd gets very worked up over a stinkbug. Show them a roach or a rat and they have no problem!! Go figure!
I would have never thought in a zillion years that I would loose a guest to a stinkbug! A bedbug, yes, but not a stinkbug. No, we have not had any issues with bedbugs...thank goodness!! I even went to the extent of putting the encasements on all the mattresses and box springs. Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything to stop the stinkers!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I've lost TWO nights thanks to these little buggers, both were 'princesses' from NYC.
At our river cabins we had a couple from St. Louis leave because down at the river they saw a cow (across the river) looking "funny" at them. Some people should just stay in the city.

I would have never thought in a zillion years that I would loose a guest to a stinkbug! A bedbug, yes, but not a stinkbug. No, we have not had any issues with bedbugs...thank goodness!! I even went to the extent of putting the encasements on all the mattresses and box springs. Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything to stop the stinkers!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I've lost TWO nights thanks to these little buggers, both were 'princesses' from NYC.
At our river cabins we had a couple from St. Louis leave because down at the river they saw a cow (across the river) looking "funny" at them. Some people should just stay in the city.
Arkansawyer said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Maybe they read that story about the rogue kangaroo... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2151552/Woman-stalked-rogue-kangaroo-TWO-DAYS-vicious-attack-left-12-inch-scar.html?ITO=1490

Aussie Innkeeper said:
Like this?
Mad_Cow.jpg

PS The term used is not referring to bugs, just thought I would mention to Aussie Innkeeper. It could be found offensive to some, you probably already know that.

I used to say when I had the biz that spiders work 24 hrs a day and even an innkeeper needs to sleep sometime! Here in the SE there are bugs in the warmer months, it is a fact of life! I did move guests to another room & discounted their stay when for some very odd reason there was a unscheduled parade of small bugs in their room in a window. Very unusual as we had our properties sprayed every other month.
A palmetto bug on its back here is a dead bug even if it's still moving slightly. They still creep me out though.
Old houses have ways for any pesky insect to get in...the best we could do was have professional pest control..
This time of year we tend to have millipedes. In Fall we tend to have box elder and Asian Lady Beetle Bugs that come when the nearby crops are harvested.
Always sweeping!
C

PS The term used is not referring to bugs, just thought I would mention to Aussie Innkeeper. It could be found offensive to some, you probably already know that..
Joey Bloggs said:
PS The term used is not referring to bugs, just thought I would mention to Aussie Innkeeper. It could be found offensive to some, you probably already know that.
I'm so dense I have no idea what y'all are talking about!

PS The term used is not referring to bugs, just thought I would mention to Aussie Innkeeper. It could be found offensive to some, you probably already know that..
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
'Bugger' as used by Brits & others means something completely different than the non-offensive way we use it here. Here is is almost a term of endearment, there not so much. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugger

Aussie Innkeeper said:
Like this?
Mad_Cow.jpg

If I saw that cow I would leave too, to get my camera!
Can skip the spider though.

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
'Bugger' as used by Brits & others means something completely different than the non-offensive way we use it here. Here is is almost a term of endearment, there not so much. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugger
I was also trying to figure it out - I always thought the term was only meaning the other meaning when off was added to it.

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I was also trying to figure it out - I always thought the term was only meaning the other meaning when off was added to it.
gillumhouse said:
Yes OFF at the end is similar to saying the F word, F off, but worse. Not spoken in polite company, to say the least.

I saw the "...spiders don't fly" and instantly sent it to my youngest DD who is panic attack terrified of spiders. She drove 3 miles from her internship back to school in a complete panic attack because a spider was on the inside of the windshield near the dash. She got the nearest big strong guy to kill it before getting back in the car to come home.
The noises she makes when she sees a spider are among those sounds you are sure come only from aliens or ancient sea creatures. Sometimes only the dogs can hear her scream. She would not have enjoyed this as much if there was a picture of a spider included.
She once slept in the guest room because she saw a spider in her room and couldn't be sure if the shoe she threw across the room killed it or just knocked it off the wall. :)

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
The first time I heard the term, it was from Hugh Grant in some movie years ago. It couldn't be that bad if Hugh Grant said it. He's the British Jimmy Stewart!
Indeed, this from Wikipedia sounds more like I've come to understand the term:

In everyday British, Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand English the sense of profanity has largely disappeared; the word there now has a 'catch-all', almost humorous, quality similar to a minced oath.

Aussie Innkeeper said:
[/quote]
[/quote]
Is from St Louis
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Back