Bugs EEWWW

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a policy for guests who find a bug, such as a spider, in their room. It hasn't happened but I want to hear opinions about what they do about it? A discount?

A spider? Why would you discount. A bedbug now that is a different story!
poke.gif

A bug is a lot different than a swarm of bugs. If it's a bug or spider, oops so sorry. Get on with your day.

It's a BUG for pete's sake. If someone gets all weirded out over a spider or an ant or a bee then they need to stay in their bubble under the water.
NO discounts unless they were overrun by a swarm of something.

Unless it's from the FBI, it's pretty much just "a bug" which doesn't entitle them to anything except "sorry".
A swarm invites you to take a look and deal with it.
A bedbug invites you to see if they were the cause and brought them with them. If they didn't, that's one thing, if they did.... they should worry, it's their liability insurance that's going to be tested.

We live in the Caribbean. There are bugs here, there, & everywhere. Sometimes we do get folks who um... "overreact"... but we calmly explain that yes, we have big bugs & they sometimes get inside & that there is nothing dangerous here :)

Ironically my neighbour had an issue with this yesterday! guest found 2 spiders ( would point out we are in the uk and do not have large spiders or any poisoness insects) so dispite Phil dealing with them she said she couldn't stay! Don't know what he did about charging mind! we had a bit of a problem last year with black flies getting in but zapped them with fly spray and the chamber maid is under orders to shut windows when the room is done which solved the problem. Just didn't make the best first impression to walk people into a room buzzing with flies!

True story - walked into a room at the beach and large roach in the middle of the floor. I thought, at least it was on its back, which meant they had sprayed. It was in a very humid beach town and that is what they have to deal with. And trust me if there is one insect I do not wish to see it is THAT one! Same in Hawaii, there is no recourse they live there too, and they fly and I hate them. Go to Honolulu at night and see people hop-scotching down the sidewalks...

Oh please. bugs are part of nature. They are bound to happen. You can't seal your home airtight. Unless they are really a bedbug infestation or the place is really gross, they just need to get over it.

We live in the Caribbean. There are bugs here, there, & everywhere. Sometimes we do get folks who um... "overreact"... but we calmly explain that yes, we have big bugs & they sometimes get inside & that there is nothing dangerous here :).
In that case, you are in the Caribbean...there are bugs. Overreact? Then they need to go to Antarctica for their vacations :-(

We are all being very conservative here, we are assuming the asker is mentioning "a bug" or regional bugs, hopefully this person is not thinking insects all over a room are acceptable, of course we aren't saying that. And in fact if you live in a buggy area, then you should inspect the rooms prior to checkin each day!

We are all being very conservative here, we are assuming the asker is mentioning "a bug" or regional bugs, hopefully this person is not thinking insects all over a room are acceptable, of course we aren't saying that. And in fact if you live in a buggy area, then you should inspect the rooms prior to checkin each day!.
I was figuring she meant just what she said 'a' bug. Now if it was a tarantula that would put me off for sure. That's more like a small rodent than a 'bug'. But, if I were in a place where they show up with some regularity, I would like that explained to me. 'Please don't leave your door open as the spiders may come inside.'

We are all being very conservative here, we are assuming the asker is mentioning "a bug" or regional bugs, hopefully this person is not thinking insects all over a room are acceptable, of course we aren't saying that. And in fact if you live in a buggy area, then you should inspect the rooms prior to checkin each day!.
I was figuring she meant just what she said 'a' bug. Now if it was a tarantula that would put me off for sure. That's more like a small rodent than a 'bug'. But, if I were in a place where they show up with some regularity, I would like that explained to me. 'Please don't leave your door open as the spiders may come inside.'
Madeleine said:
In our state the last few years we had the epidemic of marmorated stink bugs, and the first thing I ask a guest is if the have them at home or have encountered them. As some will attest who live here they were collecting them by the hundreds and thousands at a time, they were destroying vineyards and orchards and crops. War was waged on these rotten insects!

Ironically my neighbour had an issue with this yesterday! guest found 2 spiders ( would point out we are in the uk and do not have large spiders or any poisoness insects) so dispite Phil dealing with them she said she couldn't stay! Don't know what he did about charging mind! we had a bit of a problem last year with black flies getting in but zapped them with fly spray and the chamber maid is under orders to shut windows when the room is done which solved the problem. Just didn't make the best first impression to walk people into a room buzzing with flies!.
...we had a bit of a problem last year with black flies getting in but zapped them with fly spray...
This reminds me of something I've long wondered. The stores carry "ant & roach killer" and "wasp & flying insect spray". Do we really need both? Or is this just the industry's way of getting us to keep two cans on hand, one of each?
I know wasp spray will kill ants and everything else, but is it stronger and more expensive? I've never bothered to check. Just always wondered.

Ironically my neighbour had an issue with this yesterday! guest found 2 spiders ( would point out we are in the uk and do not have large spiders or any poisoness insects) so dispite Phil dealing with them she said she couldn't stay! Don't know what he did about charging mind! we had a bit of a problem last year with black flies getting in but zapped them with fly spray and the chamber maid is under orders to shut windows when the room is done which solved the problem. Just didn't make the best first impression to walk people into a room buzzing with flies!.
...we had a bit of a problem last year with black flies getting in but zapped them with fly spray...
This reminds me of something I've long wondered. The stores carry "ant & roach killer" and "wasp & flying insect spray". Do we really need both? Or is this just the industry's way of getting us to keep two cans on hand, one of each?
I know wasp spray will kill ants and everything else, but is it stronger and more expensive? I've never bothered to check. Just always wondered.
The only time I will spray is at a wasp...and then not always. The rest of the time, it just gets swatted, stomped on, sucked by the sweeper, pitched down the toilet, or shoo'd out the door.

I wouldn't know, we don't use bug spray.

We have our guesthaus on a quarterly pesticide program. However, guests do open windows and doors and that can lead to bugs getting in. I don't think most would have a problem with a bug unless it was an investation. Best to be proactive and do what you can to prevent them!

I was aware that one guest (not mine) found a large brown spider in their window. They freaked out and asked for their money back and that they could not stay there. I am in Canada so not many large bugs here. Bed bugs were a problem when I lived in the city but I have not heard of any around here.

I was aware that one guest (not mine) found a large brown spider in their window. They freaked out and asked for their money back and that they could not stay there. I am in Canada so not many large bugs here. Bed bugs were a problem when I lived in the city but I have not heard of any around here..
A brown spider is not a big deal. It is not indicative of an infestation or cleanliness. Probably just looking for a home :) Guest needs to get a life..bugs are part of our world ! I would never refund money over a spider.

Back