Burning the Candle at Both Ends and Then Adding Lighter Fluid

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
We have just two more sleeps before we go on vacation. And our high season has just ended. In my mind I'm half way on that midnight plane to France and dealing with the last of guests and planning updates, repairs and painting for the winter. You know, thinking about finding bedroom furniture on craigslist and the such. Then there are my family issues and our taxes to think of. And of course, I haven't even THOUGHT about packing. And I have a dentist appointment and I'm supposed to get my hair cut before I go on vacation. I think that pretty much covers the candle burning at both ends... we even have guests up to the day that we leave.
And then this morning I get THE phone call, they want to do my mandatory government inspection on the day we leave for vacation. When I told them I was going on vacation they didn't want to postpone, they wanted to move it up, to today. While we are doing the big fall cleaning. And there you have it, just when I'm dreaming of those days until vacation someone has to throw lighter fluid into my fire.
So, I won't have time to do the upgrades and updates to the house before the inspection (which should be in February). I won't have time to repaint or do bigger touch-ups. And then I have to worry about the results. I was hoping that I could get one more sun with the updates and upgrades. I guess I'm going to have to live with my current rating or have to pay the fee to get the consultantancy and reassessement fee if I want to move up in suns.
Two more sleeps.... two more sleeps... and then one sleep on the plane and I'm driving in France.

Enjoy your break.
The Obsessive Compulsive life of an innkeeper...it never stops. But I hope you find that moment when the inn totally escapes your mind, even for just one moment. That will be your real vacation!

Reminiscent of our departure in May. I packed the car the day before we left while the guests were out touring the area. Next morning we fed them, ran the cc, waved bye, took care of anything that could rot, stink or spoil, took the garbage to the curb and left. Way down the road as I am going over everything, DH says something about a veggie I thought he had put in the car - so I had to call City Hall to ask someone to go remove them - had already arranged for someone to bring the can into the yard from the curb. THEN we came back to 2 rooms the day after we got home. And yes, our Health Dept came up with a registration we suddenly should have had which I paid for in April only to discover it expired in June. The NEW one had to be paid for by July 1 or a 25% late penalty would be charged - so I had to pay them again in May (we got home late July 1).
May your take-off be smoother and may you have a calm vacation - including the return home.

Reminiscent of our departure in May. I packed the car the day before we left while the guests were out touring the area. Next morning we fed them, ran the cc, waved bye, took care of anything that could rot, stink or spoil, took the garbage to the curb and left. Way down the road as I am going over everything, DH says something about a veggie I thought he had put in the car - so I had to call City Hall to ask someone to go remove them - had already arranged for someone to bring the can into the yard from the curb. THEN we came back to 2 rooms the day after we got home. And yes, our Health Dept came up with a registration we suddenly should have had which I paid for in April only to discover it expired in June. The NEW one had to be paid for by July 1 or a 25% late penalty would be charged - so I had to pay them again in May (we got home late July 1).
May your take-off be smoother and may you have a calm vacation - including the return home..
Living in the big city, garbage pickup is twice a week. I don't know how many times I have taken my garbage with me to the airport so that I can throw it out there. I just don't want to worry about taking it out, getting fined and/or worse, having someone steal the garbage bin for a third time.

May your take-off be smoother and may you have a calm vacation - including the return home..
Living in the big city, garbage pickup is twice a week. I don't know how many times I have taken my garbage with me to the airport so that I can throw it out there. I just don't want to worry about taking it out, getting fined and/or worse, having someone steal the garbage bin for a third time.
I had made arrangements with our Water Clerk to take the plastic garbage can from the curb to the side of the house because we were gouing to be gone so long - I did not want it to blow down the road with the wind. Never considered the thought it would be stolen - not in my City. (Garbage pick-up is once a week for residential and the garbage company allows me to be residentail because i do not have excessive amounts - actually less than some families - as in next door to me.)

France ... you'll have a great time. Try Portugal next year ?
thumbs_up.gif

we are away for three days from today so DH can watch his football - was woken up at 4am by next doors fire alarm going full belt, rang owner swore a lot and went back to sleep, all guests fed and watered, parents here to take over while away just about to go when the public health inspector arrives for their annual surprise inspection! great! got through 5 stars out of 5 but I didn't quite understand who she was to start as they are only supposed to come to us every 2 years as we are super low risk so as the last one was only a year ago wasn't expecting her. Oh well its done for now and Im going to scann in my certificate and put it on the web site.

we are away for three days from today so DH can watch his football - was woken up at 4am by next doors fire alarm going full belt, rang owner swore a lot and went back to sleep, all guests fed and watered, parents here to take over while away just about to go when the public health inspector arrives for their annual surprise inspection! great! got through 5 stars out of 5 but I didn't quite understand who she was to start as they are only supposed to come to us every 2 years as we are super low risk so as the last one was only a year ago wasn't expecting her. Oh well its done for now and Im going to scann in my certificate and put it on the web site..
Enjoy your getaway.

we are away for three days from today so DH can watch his football - was woken up at 4am by next doors fire alarm going full belt, rang owner swore a lot and went back to sleep, all guests fed and watered, parents here to take over while away just about to go when the public health inspector arrives for their annual surprise inspection! great! got through 5 stars out of 5 but I didn't quite understand who she was to start as they are only supposed to come to us every 2 years as we are super low risk so as the last one was only a year ago wasn't expecting her. Oh well its done for now and Im going to scann in my certificate and put it on the web site..
Enjoy your getaway.
Just woke up from having an amazing nap woo hoo!

France ... you'll have a great time. Try Portugal next year ?
thumbs_up.gif
Next spring is a cruise from Rio to Barcelona... already planned. Now, next autumn/winter... that's not planned, yet.
Next Spring we are going to a beach on the Atlantic side of Florida for a week and hopefully over to Malaga, Spain for a week to visit one of my brothers while he's there for 2 months. Then, there's a weeklong Fall cruise to the Western Carribean.
Ahhhhhhhhh...the life of a former innkeeper!
wink_smile.gif

Enjoy the trip to France! I'm very envious...that is our 2013 trip, with a French river cruise.
regular_smile.gif

Today was my first day 'off' in 62 days! I celebrated by going grocery shopping and out to lunch with a friend. I get a Saturday/Sunday off in 3 weeks to attend an alumni dinner event near where we live. DH said he'd mind the store so I could go!

Back