"Burnout" and its symptoms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that most of us do the things to avoid burnout - taking vacations, trying to have other hobbies or interests, outsourcing jobs if we can.
I guess I was asking more of what other innkeepers view as "burnout" and what that constitutes for them. For example for me, it's when I feel abrupt with my spouse and other family members. When I put so much into the business, that I feel like I'm short changing the other important people in my life. There's just no energy left. I don't know how some folks can keep going at high occupancy rates with more than 3 rooms, day after day.
Seems like this is easy to do when you have a small business of any type. And the B&B business is such a personal one to each and every one of us. I have a friend who is shifting her business model away from B&B rooms to events because it's less of a constant intrusion..
I guess I was asking more of what other innkeepers view as "burnout" and what that constitutes for them. For example for me, it's when I feel abrupt with my spouse and other family members. ............I don't know how some folks can keep going at high occupancy rates with more than 3 rooms, day after day.
Exactly, my friend. I knew I was not made to operate a large B & B. I am not kidding when I say my Mother is in her grave on rotate with laughter that O am now in a business where I HAVE to keep house! I know myself well enough to know my limits - and 3 guestrooms is it. And even with just the 3 rooms, there are mornings in the busy season that I have to d r a ggggg myself out of bed to make breakfast (and partly because that always butts up against some other commitment). I think I will know I am burned out when I no longer shout YIPPEE!! when I get a rez. This time of year when I have an totally empty Rez Book is hardest for me. Yesterday I got dressed becayse we had to get some veggies and I had a Council meeting. Today I finally just got dressed to clear the snow before dark because I have a Council of Churches meeting. Tomorrow it will be because I have to teach a knitting class. I NEED to have guests to make me want to get dressed and get moving. (I have yet to flip the room from when Innkeep was here I am ashamed to admit! - part of the excuse is I went out of town again almost immediately).
I DID order some ads created from my ad agency. I will be reserving that ad space next week (the curse of credit cards is getting me started for the season). I know my lethargy will go away - it is the season. When I am lethargic in season and am not excited about guests coming - I will be ready to just close the doors since Himself does not want to move and selling means move.

I think that most of us do the things to avoid burnout - taking vacations, trying to have other hobbies or interests, outsourcing jobs if we can.
I guess I was asking more of what other innkeepers view as "burnout" and what that constitutes for them. For example for me, it's when I feel abrupt with my spouse and other family members. When I put so much into the business, that I feel like I'm short changing the other important people in my life. There's just no energy left. I don't know how some folks can keep going at high occupancy rates with more than 3 rooms, day after day.
Seems like this is easy to do when you have a small business of any type. And the B&B business is such a personal one to each and every one of us. I have a friend who is shifting her business model away from B&B rooms to events because it's less of a constant intrusion..
I guess I was asking more of what other innkeepers view as "burnout" and what that constitutes for them. For example for me, it's when I feel abrupt with my spouse and other family members. ............I don't know how some folks can keep going at high occupancy rates with more than 3 rooms, day after day.
Exactly, my friend. I knew I was not made to operate a large B & B. I am not kidding when I say my Mother is in her grave on rotate with laughter that O am now in a business where I HAVE to keep house! I know myself well enough to know my limits - and 3 guestrooms is it. And even with just the 3 rooms, there are mornings in the busy season that I have to d r a ggggg myself out of bed to make breakfast (and partly because that always butts up against some other commitment). I think I will know I am burned out when I no longer shout YIPPEE!! when I get a rez. This time of year when I have an totally empty Rez Book is hardest for me. Yesterday I got dressed becayse we had to get some veggies and I had a Council meeting. Today I finally just got dressed to clear the snow before dark because I have a Council of Churches meeting. Tomorrow it will be because I have to teach a knitting class. I NEED to have guests to make me want to get dressed and get moving. (I have yet to flip the room from when Innkeep was here I am ashamed to admit! - part of the excuse is I went out of town again almost immediately).
I DID order some ads created from my ad agency. I will be reserving that ad space next week (the curse of credit cards is getting me started for the season). I know my lethargy will go away - it is the season. When I am lethargic in season and am not excited about guests coming - I will be ready to just close the doors since Himself does not want to move and selling means move.
gillumhouse said:
I think I will know I am burned out when I no longer shout YIPPEE!! when I get a rez.
I think that's a very astute observation that's true for all of us.

OK, here's proof I'm not burned out. I can still laugh at these kinds of requests:
Guests email they want a room with one bed for 4 people. One of them is a toddler, the other is a sick baby.

OK, here's proof I'm not burned out. I can still laugh at these kinds of requests:
Guests email they want a room with one bed for 4 people. One of them is a toddler, the other is a sick baby..
I have to admit, that request brought me a chuckle, too.

Guests email they want a room with one bed for 4 people. One of them is a toddler, the other is a sick baby..
Morticia said:
Guests email they want a room with one bed for 4 people. One of them is a toddler, the other is a sick baby.
Dear Guest, We will be happy to accommodate your request... please note that we have a $125 surcharge for the use of the Pack and Play. Sincerely, your gracious host.
=)
Kk.

Morticia said:
Dear Guest, We will be happy to accommodate your request... please note that we have a $125 surcharge for the use of the Pack and Play. Sincerely, your gracious host.
=)
Kk.
The chuckles just keep coming.

For me it would be I can still chuckle as I hit "Delete". Honestly I've had to stop even answering these ridiculous requests, we've had a ton of them this week. Must be the weather, everyone is getting cabin fever.

I have to reply. I know what it's like to ask a question and wait forever and you get nothing.

deleted my post due to being too wordy
wink_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Now, why would you go and delete a wordy post??? I would have loved to read it...
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
Bob Sled said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Now, why would you go and delete a wordy post??? I would have loved to read it...
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
Sorry, sometimes I see them and tell myself to just shut up! I know there are others who say that too.
cry_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
Bob Sled said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
Sorry, sometimes I see them and tell myself to just shut up! I know there are others who say that too.
cry_smile.gif

[/quote]
cry_smile.gif

[/quote]
I never think your posts are too wordy. They're always interesting reading to me.

wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
Bob Sled said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
cry_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif

[/quote]
I never think your posts are too wordy. They're always interesting reading to me.

[/QUOTE]
To me too!

wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
Bob Sled said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
cry_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif

[/quote]

[/QUOTE]
cry_smile.gif

[/quote]

[/quote]
I second that.

I think burnout can be recognized as fact when you find yourself resentful of the majority of your guests. Every request, no matter how simple, becomes a huge deal and a drag on your time. Every little bit of clutter in a room, an untouched breakfast plate or a sullen guest becomes the ruination of your day. When you feel that no one respects your place or should be allowed to touch your things or get any of your personal attention, you are burned out.
Oddly enough, having the Inn on the market has really been an eye opener for me. I don't think I ever realized how lucky I am, how great our guests are, or how much I love doing this until I was faced with the possibility of moving out and finding a job. Talking with aspiring keepers and prospective purchasers reminds me that I have what so many others wish they had, or could obtain.
Our for-sale listing expires on Feb. 3rd, and as the family problems seem to have worked themselves out somewhat (or are at least not at crisis level), we are not relisting the Inn for sale at this time. I will, however, go out of my way to make sure that we have a little more time with family and away from the Inn by taking less Saturday arrivals this summer, and getting out on days where we have all stayovers.
As Innkeeper to Go asked me in another thread...why would I want anything else, when I love what I have so much?

I think burnout can be recognized as fact when you find yourself resentful of the majority of your guests. Every request, no matter how simple, becomes a huge deal and a drag on your time. Every little bit of clutter in a room, an untouched breakfast plate or a sullen guest becomes the ruination of your day. When you feel that no one respects your place or should be allowed to touch your things or get any of your personal attention, you are burned out.
Oddly enough, having the Inn on the market has really been an eye opener for me. I don't think I ever realized how lucky I am, how great our guests are, or how much I love doing this until I was faced with the possibility of moving out and finding a job. Talking with aspiring keepers and prospective purchasers reminds me that I have what so many others wish they had, or could obtain.
Our for-sale listing expires on Feb. 3rd, and as the family problems seem to have worked themselves out somewhat (or are at least not at crisis level), we are not relisting the Inn for sale at this time. I will, however, go out of my way to make sure that we have a little more time with family and away from the Inn by taking less Saturday arrivals this summer, and getting out on days where we have all stayovers.
As Innkeeper to Go asked me in another thread...why would I want anything else, when I love what I have so much?.
LB, I think that sounds like a fabulous plan.

wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
Bob Sled said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
cry_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif

[/quote]

[/QUOTE]
cry_smile.gif

[/quote]

[/quote]
ha ha now how to abbreviate falling off my chair in laughter...FOMCL or something...Wait here is a better one BMGWL
Oddly enough, I clicked over to the paii forum last night and it looked like telegram posts to me. "How far is it. Stop. Should we go. Stop." I had to laugh, after this one where we say anything and everything and it so full of life and personality!

wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
Bob Sled said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Seriously.
cry_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif

[/QUOTE]
cry_smile.gif

[/quote]

[/quote]
ha ha now how to abbreviate falling off my chair in laughter...FOMCL or something...Wait here is a better one BMGWL
Oddly enough, I clicked over to the paii forum last night and it looked like telegram posts to me. "How far is it. Stop. Should we go. Stop." I had to laugh, after this one where we say anything and everything and it so full of life and personality!

[/QUOTE]
Joey Bloggs said:
I had to laugh, after this one where we say anything and everything and it so full of life and personality!
Life and personality are too important to abbreviate. Let it out.

As Innkeeper to Go asked me in another thread...why would I want anything else, when I love what I have so much?.
LB and don't forget some people are just plain ol' cantankerous anyway! Does not matter what they attempt in life, it is never right, never good enough, never what they expected. Some people...and we all know it, are just miserable sorts.

Little Blue said:
we are not relisting the Inn for sale at this time.
Yay!! I can still make it up there while you are the innkeeper!!

Back