Business Guest and Central A/C

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Well I just checked-in a business guest from Germany who said he wanted to stay here because he could not stand the air conditioner going on and off at the hotel last time he was in the area. He had to wear earplugs and worried he would miss the alarm clock going off. He said there are 3 or 4 other associates who will be liking to stay here too. So score for the central a/c! I have been trying to get this company in our door.
But the most humorous part is most of our German guests have been uber tidy and he seems a bit disheveled. He has a beard and longer hair. In fact he has on striped pants and a plaid top (same colors but diff pattern so they pretty much clash) then he said the magic words which made me laugh aloud "I am I.T." Okay that explains it, I went and told the girls and they said "Oh yeah like when Dad wears those plaid shorts with a striped top!" yep. I guess I.T. are the same world-wide.
tounge_smile.gif

Okay, I am sharing this with you, I took a diff approach with the guest.
He told me today that this company books him in the same hotel in another city, and it is 50 minutes drive EACH WAY - EVERY DAY he is here. So he asked them PLEASE LET ME STAY IN TOWN! So it is now 4 minutes each way drive. He seemed quite passionate and upset that they have done that to him 5 TIMES so far (a week or so each time) and all the other business guests.
So I, as an innkeeper know they must get a special rate, or why make these foreign guests drive nearly 2 hours each and every day they are here!
This came up as I presneted him with a to-go coffee cup to which he laughed and said his commute is too short and then went on about where he usually stays. Yesterday he fell asleep out on the front porch in the warm sun with the birds, the old maples, the small town atmosphere. Not a stinky hotel room with a lobby bar!!!
So 5 times for him, plus 4 or 5 other Germans from this same company, all coming here locally. YES I have marketed to this company, YES YES YES! They have never inquired any further.
Do you know how much revenue that could have been for this B&B, this family? I am a bit angry. I told him "Dh works for the local county in I.T., the girls (who he met today) both attend local school and involved locally, me (I spend all our money locally and support the local community as much as possible, heck the eggs he had today were locally grown free range Banties!). I appreciate the business and hope more from 'your company' can stay with us."
He thanked me for the home cooked delcious breakfast, full of fresh fruit - not what he would get at the hotel lobby continental.
okay done, had to share it or I would explode. I should make up a tshirt to get attention "Don't support local businesses! Let them go out of business. Only support big corporations who could care less about you and treat you as such!"
Would have to be a very large tshirt to fit all that on it!

He told me today that this company books him in the same hotel in another city, and it is 50 minutes drive EACH WAY - EVERY DAY he is here. So he asked them PLEASE LET ME STAY IN TOWN! So it is now 4 minutes each way drive. He seemed quite passionate and upset that they have done that to him 5 TIMES so far (a week or so each time) and all the other business guests.
So I, as an innkeeper know they must get a special rate, or why make these foreign guests drive nearly 2 hours each and every day they are here!
This came up as I presneted him with a to-go coffee cup to which he laughed and said his commute is too short and then went on about where he usually stays. Yesterday he fell asleep out on the front porch in the warm sun with the birds, the old maples, the small town atmosphere. Not a stinky hotel room with a lobby bar!!!
So 5 times for him, plus 4 or 5 other Germans from this same company, all coming here locally. YES I have marketed to this company, YES YES YES! They have never inquired any further.
Do you know how much revenue that could have been for this B&B, this family? I am a bit angry. I told him "Dh works for the local county in I.T., the girls (who he met today) both attend local school and involved locally, me (I spend all our money locally and support the local community as much as possible, heck the eggs he had today were locally grown free range Banties!). I appreciate the business and hope more from 'your company' can stay with us."
He thanked me for the home cooked delcious breakfast, full of fresh fruit - not what he would get at the hotel lobby continental.
okay done, had to share it or I would explode. I should make up a tshirt to get attention "Don't support local businesses! Let them go out of business. Only support big corporations who could care less about you and treat you as such!"
Would have to be a very large tshirt to fit all that on it!.
On the opposite end of the spectrum...some biz folks do get it. We have a biz traveler who drives 2 hours from here to get to his meeting. He'd rather stay here than in the town he goes to.
You bet they're getting a deal at the hotel. But they're only considering the money. A friend of mine tried to get his company to book with us but they said no because they get $79 rates at the hotels.

Would have to be a very large tshirt to fit all that on it!.
On the opposite end of the spectrum...some biz folks do get it. We have a biz traveler who drives 2 hours from here to get to his meeting. He'd rather stay here than in the town he goes to.
You bet they're getting a deal at the hotel. But they're only considering the money. A friend of mine tried to get his company to book with us but they said no because they get $79 rates at the hotels.
Alibi Ike said:
That is nice to hear! and so they should, they love staying with you!!!
I guess the employee feels a bit devalued at this point too that his time is not worth anything. He said to me and I quote when I wished him a lovely day and will see him later on "I veel be heer at 5 oclock ON da dot!"

I like Germans they are a very precise and orderly people..
I like Germans they are a very precise and orderly people.
Me too, he wanted 6am breakfast and was EARLY! Now my 815am breakfast AMERICAN is not even down, and I hear no movement, it is 845am.
I will state the stereotypes, ONLY AMERICAN guests do not show for breakfast. Not all Americans, of course not. But have never had any foreign guest amble down an hour late or no show.

AWESOME! How nice for him to get to relax at your place. Hopefully he will spread the word and this will become the new "norm" for the company. Unfortunately it's usually some HR person stuck in an office who makes the travel arrangements (I know this was the case for DH when he was in engineering he used to want to strangle this person who would always put him on the MOST inconvenient flights, even if the price was the same!).
The people themselves don't always have a lot of control over it, unless they really push which I hope this guest does for you. Heck, the gas savings along for a 55 minute drive should count for something. Are you giving him a business rate?

Me too, he wanted 6am breakfast and was EARLY! Now my 815am breakfast AMERICAN is not even down, and I hear no movement, it is 845am.
I will state the stereotypes, ONLY AMERICAN guests do not show for breakfast. Not all Americans, of course not. But have never had any foreign guest amble down an hour late or no show.
Joey Bloggs said:
And this is where it differs again. We just had Turkish guests who left without eating. And the Italians regularly just have coffee. If I push, they'll have toast as well. (That's the women, the men eat everything.) The English always eat. Twice. They have a box or two of cereal and then have the full, plated breakfast, too.

Speaking as a former business traveller (on expense basis, not per diem), reservations rules are:
  1. Always book hotel, depending on job/guest and company policy either 3, 4 or 5 star hotel. This way the system is satisfied, it is predictable and no one can object in terms of cost of comfort. Price varies with location, this is accepted by boss and bookkeeping and easy to control.
  2. Most companies will get a deal with one hotel in the area that fits above rule, and "force" all to stay there, its often a volume price deal.
  3. If you frequently go to same location the business traveller can try to change the rules, if rule 2 does not apply, and if he shows bookkeeping/boss that the expense is similar.
  4. If a company wants to change the rules they need to be able to present as an alternative place to stay which is equivalent to or better than hotel The time difference always stayed with me when going to the USA, I would wake up at 2 or 3 am, work on laptop and phone to europe. have breakfast at 7 am.

I think partly it is because in europe they tend to start school really early ie 8am and finish about 1pm so they are trained from an early age to be up early (ie and get your towel on the sunlounger lol). The UK people when at home usually have a bowl of cerial but when on holiday ie a B&B they have cerial fruit etc and then a cooked breakfast as a special treat. In Italy they are super keen on their coffee so wouldn 't be surprised that that was all they had but I bet they have pastries etc at about 11am

Update: got the credit card auth from the company and replied with this:
"Mr Jones is a wonderful guest, he was enjoying the warm sun on the porch yesterday with the mockingbirds singing up a storm.
Appreciate your supporting local family owned businesses here in Henry County!"

And to our overseas guests, in the USA a B&B is better than a hotel. I feel I need to clarify as they are cheaper alternatives to hotels in most o/s countries, here they are nicer. So they get a deal at a hotel and stuff the employees who have to drive 2 hours per day. Pretty typical isn't it.

I think partly it is because in europe they tend to start school really early ie 8am and finish about 1pm so they are trained from an early age to be up early (ie and get your towel on the sunlounger lol). The UK people when at home usually have a bowl of cerial but when on holiday ie a B&B they have cerial fruit etc and then a cooked breakfast as a special treat. In Italy they are super keen on their coffee so wouldn 't be surprised that that was all they had but I bet they have pastries etc at about 11am
are super keen on their coffee so wouldn 't be surprised that that was all they had but I bet they have pastries etc at about 11am
My hypoglycemic self is screaming for mercy!

I started school ar 705AM every day.
This gal came down 45 minutes late and was all apologetic, the sure sign of someone who is late everywhere they go. I said "What about your appt?" Oh I will call them and make it later. She told me she HAD to be there by 9am. Then she talked incessantly for 30 minutes. Sweet.

This gal came down 45 minutes late and was all apologetic, the sure sign of someone who is late everywhere they go. I said "What about your appt?" Oh I will call them and make it later. She told me she HAD to be there by 9am. Then she talked incessantly for 30 minutes. Sweet.
9-3. School hours for me until high school.
When we have guests who specifically state they must be somewhere at x AM so they need to eat at x-1 hour AM, I tell spouse, 'The minute you see them, start cooking. Don't wait while they chat and pour coffee. Start cooking.'
Invariably, they are 30 minutes late and then stand around talking like the breakfast is cooking itself. We've had them look at the clock and say, 'Never mind we don't have time.' And it is ALWAYS when they are the only guests and we got up especially to feed them.

Yes, I know your B&B's are better than hotels. A B&B is also unique, no two are the same. When travelling for business one needs a place to stay, think chain hotel = predictable. Just like why some tourist go to a mcdonalds in Japan.

Good for you JB sure hope this gentleman speaks highly of you and to the right people. The thinking of businesses some times makes no sence. They stick to a mold even when the mold does not fit the job. (i.e. hotel, 2 hour drive)
We have done well with a couple of local companies and the big gov. complex has us listed as one of the nearest lodging (and the only B&B on the list) which is probably why we have so many coming here for this complex. Most local businesses are not involved in the travels of their visitors unless asked (most don't) so while it is not a bad idea to knock on doors with some goodies in your hand most have little to do with travel arrangements of those coming IN.
Yes we do have week day business rates but not as low as the gov. per diem this year. (don't know why but it dropped in our area this year almost $10).
There are other reasons why business travelers choose a hotel... points! If the company has worked out a deal, it is not only special pricing they may have points that are placed under the company name instead of the traveler. If the traveler gets to keep the points, then they can build up points for family trips... Building loyalty.

When we have guests who specifically state they must be somewhere at x AM so they need to eat at x-1 hour AM, I tell spouse, 'The minute you see them, start cooking. Don't wait while they chat and pour coffee. Start cooking.'
Invariably, they are 30 minutes late and then stand around talking like the breakfast is cooking itself. We've had them look at the clock and say, 'Never mind we don't have time.' And it is ALWAYS when they are the only guests and we got up especially to feed them.
9 to 3! Must be colder climates start later for plowing etc in winter? Or to avoid already busy commuters?
My kids have to be there at 730am every morning and get out at 245pm. But that is what they do now adays in the dumbing down of american kids, they have them there longer and longer and then you hear they watched videos in three classes...don't get me started! Our kids go BACK to school Aug 17th in the FLIPPIN' HEAT OF SUMMER. There is no "see you in the Fall," it is stinkin' hot for 2 months until Fall arrives!

Cancellation policies, and the rest. I get it, I just wish they woud give us the oppty to serve them here! I am thankful for this booking, I told him which he probably didn't understand that we will treat you right! :)

9 to 3! Must be colder climates start later for plowing etc in winter? Or to avoid already busy commuters?
My kids have to be there at 730am every morning and get out at 245pm. But that is what they do now adays in the dumbing down of american kids, they have them there longer and longer and then you hear they watched videos in three classes...don't get me started! Our kids go BACK to school Aug 17th in the FLIPPIN' HEAT OF SUMMER. There is no "see you in the Fall," it is stinkin' hot for 2 months until Fall arrives!
Joey Bloggs said:
Catholic school. No snow days. We walked uphill both ways in skirts and ankle socks. Maybe so the nuns could get all their prayers in? I have no idea. Maybe to keep all the kids off the city buses during the commute? That's a thought. Most of us walked, tho.

Back