Business Guest and Central A/C

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Germans they are a very precise and orderly people..
I like Germans they are a very precise and orderly people.
Me too, he wanted 6am breakfast and was EARLY! Now my 815am breakfast AMERICAN is not even down, and I hear no movement, it is 845am.
I will state the stereotypes, ONLY AMERICAN guests do not show for breakfast. Not all Americans, of course not. But have never had any foreign guest amble down an hour late or no show.
I think partly it is because in europe they tend to start school really early ie 8am and finish about 1pm so they are trained from an early age to be up early (ie and get your towel on the sunlounger lol). The UK people when at home usually have a bowl of cerial but when on holiday ie a B&B they have cerial fruit etc and then a cooked breakfast as a special treat. In Italy they are super keen on their coffee so wouldn 't be surprised that that was all they had but I bet they have pastries etc at about 11am
I think partly it is because in europe they tend to start school really early ie 8am and finish about 1pm so they are trained from an early age to be up early (ie and get your towel on the sunlounger lol). The UK people when at home usually have a bowl of cerial but when on holiday ie a B&B they have cerial fruit etc and then a cooked breakfast as a special treat. In Italy they are super keen on their coffee so wouldn 't be surprised that that was all they had but I bet they have pastries etc at about 11am
I started school ar 705AM every day.
This gal came down 45 minutes late and was all apologetic, the sure sign of someone who is late everywhere they go. I said "What about your appt?" Oh I will call them and make it later. She told me she HAD to be there by 9am. Then she talked incessantly for 30 minutes. Sweet.
9-3. School hours for me until high school.
When we have guests who specifically state they must be somewhere at x AM so they need to eat at x-1 hour AM, I tell spouse, 'The minute you see them, start cooking. Don't wait while they chat and pour coffee. Start cooking.'
Invariably, they are 30 minutes late and then stand around talking like the breakfast is cooking itself. We've had them look at the clock and say, 'Never mind we don't have time.' And it is ALWAYS when they are the only guests and we got up especially to feed them.
9 to 3! Must be colder climates start later for plowing etc in winter? Or to avoid already busy commuters?
My kids have to be there at 730am every morning and get out at 245pm. But that is what they do now adays in the dumbing down of american kids, they have them there longer and longer and then you hear they watched videos in three classes...don't get me started! Our kids go BACK to school Aug 17th in the FLIPPIN' HEAT OF SUMMER. There is no "see you in the Fall," it is stinkin' hot for 2 months until Fall arrives!
High school I seem to recall was 7:50 to 1:50. Something odd like that anyway. 7 class periods + 20 mins for lunch + 5 minutes to change classes. I think I was home by 2 every day.
School didn't start until after Labor Day but we got out around June 18-21 or so. We start getting our vacationing southern teachers around mid-May. Some of them go back in July.

Update: got the credit card auth from the company and replied with this:
"Mr Jones is a wonderful guest, he was enjoying the warm sun on the porch yesterday with the mockingbirds singing up a storm.
Appreciate your supporting local family owned businesses here in Henry County!".
Joey Bloggs said:
Update: got the credit card auth from the company and replied with this:
"Mr Jones is a wonderful guest, he was enjoying the warm sun on the porch yesterday with the mockingbirds singing up a storm.
Appreciate your supporting local family owned businesses here in Henry County!"
You are sending a note about supporting local family owned businesses to a Multi-national corporation? I don't think that's really in their interest.
I would have definitely thanked them for the business. Pointed out how close we are and how the employees enjoyed not only a full breakfast but how short the commute was. (ie hoping they got the hint that a well-fed employee and a short commute leaves happier and more productive employees.) And maybe offer a corporate discount for weekdays to entice more people over to your B&B.

Me too, he wanted 6am breakfast and was EARLY! Now my 815am breakfast AMERICAN is not even down, and I hear no movement, it is 845am.
I will state the stereotypes, ONLY AMERICAN guests do not show for breakfast. Not all Americans, of course not. But have never had any foreign guest amble down an hour late or no show.
This gal came down 45 minutes late and was all apologetic, the sure sign of someone who is late everywhere they go. I said "What about your appt?" Oh I will call them and make it later. She told me she HAD to be there by 9am. Then she talked incessantly for 30 minutes. Sweet.
When we have guests who specifically state they must be somewhere at x AM so they need to eat at x-1 hour AM, I tell spouse, 'The minute you see them, start cooking. Don't wait while they chat and pour coffee. Start cooking.'
Invariably, they are 30 minutes late and then stand around talking like the breakfast is cooking itself. We've had them look at the clock and say, 'Never mind we don't have time.' And it is ALWAYS when they are the only guests and we got up especially to feed them.
9 to 3! Must be colder climates start later for plowing etc in winter? Or to avoid already busy commuters?
My kids have to be there at 730am every morning and get out at 245pm. But that is what they do now adays in the dumbing down of american kids, they have them there longer and longer and then you hear they watched videos in three classes...don't get me started! Our kids go BACK to school Aug 17th in the FLIPPIN' HEAT OF SUMMER. There is no "see you in the Fall," it is stinkin' hot for 2 months until Fall arrives!
High school I seem to recall was 7:50 to 1:50. Something odd like that anyway. 7 class periods + 20 mins for lunch + 5 minutes to change classes. I think I was home by 2 every day.
School didn't start until after Labor Day but we got out around June 18-21 or so. We start getting our vacationing southern teachers around mid-May. Some of them go back in July.
all schools junior and high start at 8.45 and finish at 3.30pm with an hour for lunch we c only get 8 weeks in the summer (not sure when labout day is) usually starts about the 20th of July (so you are boiled for your end of year exams) and then back about the 20th of September. They keep talking about changing the system to do 3 weeks at christmas then about 6 weeks later then have 2 weeks off then 6 more weeks then 6 weeks for summer then 2 weeks at half term to spread the holidays out a bit so people can have more of a chance to take the kids away as the airlines (i am sure it is the same everywhere) crank the prices up for the holidays so this would spread the cost a bit.

all schools junior and high start at 8.45 and finish at 3.30pm with an hour for lunch we c only get 8 weeks in the summer (not sure when labout day is) usually starts about the 20th of July (so you are boiled for your end of year exams) and then back about the 20th of September. They keep talking about changing the system to do 3 weeks at christmas then about 6 weeks later then have 2 weeks off then 6 more weeks then 6 weeks for summer then 2 weeks at half term to spread the holidays out a bit so people can have more of a chance to take the kids away as the airlines (i am sure it is the same everywhere) crank the prices up for the holidays so this would spread the cost a bit.
Labor Day here is the first Monday in September. It's considered the 'unofficial' end of summer because everyone is back in school by then.

Update:
I have been making a 6am breakfast daily for this guest (and then other guests after). The room rate he has had is $90 (normally $130) so that is $40 x 5 = discount of $200. Full hot breakfast and all other amenities which you all know we have. 3 minutes from the plant.
The owner of this biz picked up this chap last night to go to dinner and they discussed having all their biz o/s guests stay with us, as our guest mentioned how fantastic it has been. Remember he was driving 2 hours per day from the nearby city.
The owner said they are willing to send more to us if we can give them a better rate. (BTW I also sent a rack card with their invoice - again, and a lovely photo card of the B&B, we DO have a good curb appeal if not the cheapo hotel amenities like disinfectant rooms and roaches!)
I discussed with this guest. I had to laugh a bit, as how much is GAS COSTING this company to drive back and forth each day?
So I am happy he was here and is now recommending. He is dining on tiny little banty chicken eggs right now that I get from a local with bright orange yolks, fresh strawberries local, melon, tomatoes, ham, toast, freshly ground coffee and oj. Oh wait and a blueberry pecan greek yog peach yop muesli parfait to start. So I do what I do. He said maybe the boss wants it to be $85. I will consider this. I would really like to get that business!

Update:
I have been making a 6am breakfast daily for this guest (and then other guests after). The room rate he has had is $90 (normally $130) so that is $40 x 5 = discount of $200. Full hot breakfast and all other amenities which you all know we have. 3 minutes from the plant.
The owner of this biz picked up this chap last night to go to dinner and they discussed having all their biz o/s guests stay with us, as our guest mentioned how fantastic it has been. Remember he was driving 2 hours per day from the nearby city.
The owner said they are willing to send more to us if we can give them a better rate. (BTW I also sent a rack card with their invoice - again, and a lovely photo card of the B&B, we DO have a good curb appeal if not the cheapo hotel amenities like disinfectant rooms and roaches!)
I discussed with this guest. I had to laugh a bit, as how much is GAS COSTING this company to drive back and forth each day?
So I am happy he was here and is now recommending. He is dining on tiny little banty chicken eggs right now that I get from a local with bright orange yolks, fresh strawberries local, melon, tomatoes, ham, toast, freshly ground coffee and oj. Oh wait and a blueberry pecan greek yog peach yop muesli parfait to start. So I do what I do. He said maybe the boss wants it to be $85. I will consider this. I would really like to get that business!.
Find out exactly what they were paying for the hotel 2 hours away. Reply back to the owner with the analysis of how much he just SAVED on gas costs, stress on the workers, giving foreigners a better, cleaner, healthier place to stay.
You own a biz, just like that guy does. Negotiate like a biz owner. Push back. Of course he wants it cheaper. He doesn't have to get it cheaper, tho. Push back.

Update:
So I am happy he was here and is now recommending. He is dining on tiny little banty chicken eggs right now that I get from a local with bright orange yolks, fresh strawberries local, melon, tomatoes, ham, toast, freshly ground coffee and oj. Oh wait and a blueberry pecan greek yog peach yop muesli parfait to start. So I do what I do. He said maybe the boss wants it to be $85. I will consider this. I would really like to get that business!.
Definitely push back on the owner. They are trained to go for the lowest bid always, you've got to sell them on how much they're saving by having their employees stay with you. Not just on gas costs, but actual productivity time, getting work done instead of driving 2 hours. Not to mention HAPPY employees (although some employers could care less about that). Point out how much of a discount you're already giving and remind them that includes breakfast so the employee's per diem goes a lot further by staying with you.
GOOD WORK!

See why I love you guys, always full of "sometimes useful sometimes not" suggestions. tee hee

Update:
Price isn't everything. If the company is American or if the company in German will make a very big difference in how you market. German companies will be much more interested in productivity and happiness of the employees and the quality of the food, whereupon at an American company they likely care about nothing but price.
$5 isn't a lot, but basically at $4 a gallon, unless they have a hybrid (which costs more to rent anyway), they are going to be using 2 to 3 gallons for the drive back and forth, so that's $12 right away saved.
Employees who don't have to commute can wake up later and therefore more refreshed and productive. Add to that a full breakfast means that they are ready to work and spending less time looking for coffee to keep them awake. They are rested and ready to work. They are less stressed. And in the long run it costs less and contributes directly to the community.
Stress that they could play that up to the local newspaper, that they are part of the community.

Actually it is a German company and they are all about price. :) They have not even had my card arrive I posted yesterday, so this is all good. It will work out.

Entering late on this latest bit of info. I agree with the rest, try to convince him of all the benefits of having guests stay at your place over the hotels. I am sure you can easily find out what rate they are getting there... most have a corporate week day rate, so just call and ask. That of course will be their starting point if they are looking at price only. This is where you remind them of the drive/gas costs and other benefits.
Some will get it, some won't. This is how it is with the different subsidaries of the gov I deal with. All you can do is provide the facts, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out...

Back