Business Guest with Fiance on the way

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Our policy is NO unregistered guests in guest rooms. She said she cannot live without him, so he is driving two hours to take her to dinner. And?
What would you do? I have it written in the policies IN the room.
Revoke her business rate? Put a small note in the parlor for her to see?
Nothing?
I know I say it all the time "This ain't no brothel, no hourly rentals here!" but sometimes - well perhaps it is! You never know people.

If you can't speak directly to her until morning, I guess the best you can do is hope it IS just dinner and that's that. But, hey, I seriously doubt someone is going to drive FOUR hours to go to dinner and then go home.
I have a biz guest here as well, alone. I did not discount the room. I've found that single guests quite often use just as much raw material as 2 guests do. They will use all of the towels in the bathroom, the heat will be on the whole time, etc. So she'll eat 2 fewer sausages in the morning and 2 fewer pancakes.

I charge by the room up to 2 guests - $20 extra for a 3rd person. I figure it takes as much water to wash sheets that one person slept in as it does for a bed 2 slept in. There is just as much heat or A/C being used, etc.

Well, I think a little different. I do have a lot of business travel here during the week, and most are government related travelers. We do honor gov. per diem rates but do so with the clause that it is a single occupancy rate.
My reason is from experience. When these guests are staying for serveral days, the 2nd guest is here most of the day while hubby is at his business meetings. So, they are using more electricity etc. then that of a single guest. They are usually a little more needy as well. So, if they mention that their loved one will be joining them, the rate reverts back to our normal rates.

Update:
She got a heavily discounted gmvt rate. That is 'single stay' only, otherwise I only charge for the room 1 or 2 guests doesnt make a diff.
She was respectful and called to ask if he could spend the night and would be gone before breakfast - back to work. I warned DH of my gut on this before I left as I had to attend a meeting, and he told her no problem, extra person fee of $20 would apply, she said, sure thing.
So it is a done deal.
This is a person who has emailed and called me so many times in the past week I KNEW there had to be something that would occur, so I was on my toes and prepped for her! HA HA

Update:
She got a heavily discounted gmvt rate. That is 'single stay' only, otherwise I only charge for the room 1 or 2 guests doesnt make a diff.
She was respectful and called to ask if he could spend the night and would be gone before breakfast - back to work. I warned DH of my gut on this before I left as I had to attend a meeting, and he told her no problem, extra person fee of $20 would apply, she said, sure thing.
So it is a done deal.
This is a person who has emailed and called me so many times in the past week I KNEW there had to be something that would occur, so I was on my toes and prepped for her! HA HA.
I also have a government rate - single occupancy only, no breakfast - and have had it abused a few times with government guests bringing along a loved one for a free vacation. In fact, someone who worked for our state government did exactly that and then complained around to others when I said they would have to pay the full fare. I was not very happy.
I relented and only added the $20 additional person charge, still lower than the full rate. Just like Copperhead said, the extra person hung around all day and was particularly whiny and needy. I prefer to give up the booking forever in the future than deal with it again.

Well, I think a little different. I do have a lot of business travel here during the week, and most are government related travelers. We do honor gov. per diem rates but do so with the clause that it is a single occupancy rate.
My reason is from experience. When these guests are staying for serveral days, the 2nd guest is here most of the day while hubby is at his business meetings. So, they are using more electricity etc. then that of a single guest. They are usually a little more needy as well. So, if they mention that their loved one will be joining them, the rate reverts back to our normal rates..
We have a single business traveler rate Sunday thru Thursday. We don't cut back on any of our amenities though :)
That's usually the definition of a corporate stay. For 2 people, it would be our regular rate or whatever special we're running.

We can not cut back on amenities (as it was put) regarding to breakfast. Our local laws do not allow us to 'charge' for breakfast, so we can not place a price on it (accept in bookkeeping of course).

I charge by the room up to 2 guests - $20 extra for a 3rd person. I figure it takes as much water to wash sheets that one person slept in as it does for a bed 2 slept in. There is just as much heat or A/C being used, etc..
Just an obsevation here we have all raised our rates in the past years but it seems no one has raised the rate for an extra person or cancellation fee. I just thought I would throw that in as I have thought about that for a while.

I charge by the room up to 2 guests - $20 extra for a 3rd person. I figure it takes as much water to wash sheets that one person slept in as it does for a bed 2 slept in. There is just as much heat or A/C being used, etc..
Just an obsevation here we have all raised our rates in the past years but it seems no one has raised the rate for an extra person or cancellation fee. I just thought I would throw that in as I have thought about that for a while.
sandynn said:
We raised the extra person fee and now have a full payment cancellation policy. It used to be one night's fee if you cancelled and we didn't rebook, now it is all roomnights not rebooked. Too many 4-5 night cancellations where the guest only paid for one of them and we were stuck with the other 3-4.

My extra person fee is the same but I changed my cancellation to less than 48 hours is a full reservations charge plus tax and if it is horses also the stable fee. I do dinners and if I have purchased everything for that dinner, they are going to pay for it.

My reason is from experience. When these guests are staying for serveral days, the 2nd guest is here most of the day while hubby is at his business meetings. So, they are using more electricity etc. then that of a single guest. They are usually a little more needy as well. So, if they mention that their loved one will be joining them, the rate reverts back to our normal rates..
Oops..duplicate post.

I have washed the sheets twice and cannot get the man cologne smell out of them!!! UGH!.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I have washed the sheets twice and cannot get the man cologne smell out of them!!! UGH!
Yeah, that wouldn't be good for the next guest!
teeth_smile.gif
I know you know this and probably already done it today, but hang them outside.

Back