Business owners agree...we need a vacation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
So, start planning! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/16/do-you-really-need-a-vacation_n_918884.html

I've been fantasizing about one! I think this winter we'll have to stay close to home even though I'm dreaming of being on a beach somewhere with the poolboy bringing me drinks. I had major surgery in May and will need one more at the end of Oct., so we'll be shelling out big bucks for our portion of the medical bills.
There's always next year!

We are looking into a beach house for Thanksgiving week...it's helping me pass the time waiting for all the check-ins today!

We are looking into a beach house for Thanksgiving week...it's helping me pass the time waiting for all the check-ins today!.
I know what you mean....looking forward to our vacation is what helps us get through the busy season! I've also been searching for escapes on Living Social. I wouldn't want to have my b&b do one, but I'm hoping I can find a great deal out there for the future. I've seen a couple I would be interested in, but they all end the middle of December. Can't do anything until 2012

We are looking into a beach house for Thanksgiving week...it's helping me pass the time waiting for all the check-ins today!.
I know what you mean....looking forward to our vacation is what helps us get through the busy season! I've also been searching for escapes on Living Social. I wouldn't want to have my b&b do one, but I'm hoping I can find a great deal out there for the future. I've seen a couple I would be interested in, but they all end the middle of December. Can't do anything until 2012
Breakfast Diva said:
Don't forget they are subject to availability as well. So they may end on a date, but the date you want is fully booked. I think the LS deals are great spur of the moment getaways, pick a few random dates to just "go" which is harder for innkeepers to do, ugh. I am with ya! I wanna go...

I'm planning our annual 'innkeeper getaway' that we do with innkeeping buds up the road a piece.

Breakfast Diva said:
Don't forget they are subject to availability as well. So they may end on a date, but the date you want is fully booked. I think the LS deals are great spur of the moment getaways, pick a few random dates to just "go" which is harder for innkeepers to do, ugh. I am with ya! I wanna go...
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
From what I've read on the PAII forum, a lot of people will call the property first, before buying to see if they have the dates available the traveler is looking for, THEN they will purchase the LS deal and immediately call back the property to schedule. Sounds like a good way to work it.

I had mine for the century in June. I look at Conferences/out-of-town on City business etc as my "normal" vacations. It usually entails an overnight and at least one day if not two away from the B & B AND DH. Sometimes he went along, but that is getting more rare because he does not travel well any more. The trip south last week worked out OK, but made it clear (to him) it was probably the last time he goes on a business trip. I did my traveling and honestly am content where I am and with the activity of where I am. So much is happening in my City that I do not want to miss out on!
We are about to buy a building so we can tear it and a building we own down. THEN we can start looking fo funding to fill that empty space with a Community Building that we have already had designed. It may take us a year or two, but I know we can do it! We only need about $5 million. See why I am so excited about being here?

Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
From what I've read on the PAII forum, a lot of people will call the property first, before buying to see if they have the dates available the traveler is looking for, THEN they will purchase the LS deal and immediately call back the property to schedule. Sounds like a good way to work it.
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Apparently A LOT do that, we have an LS Inn on this forum, and the cancellations can be gruesome. I think most people do that. Can you imagine fielding all those calls, with people begging to just 'hold it for me' until I get the LS #.
I am waiting for one in DC to come up, but dang it if they aren' always weekends up there, midweek they can get and DO GET triple the room rates. We want to go midweek.

Being able to reclaim vacation time has been one of the single biggest bonuses of closing our business. My health and my dh's health has dramatically improved. My dh has 4 weeks of actual vacation time in his corporate job. He also gets compensatory time sometimes if he works a significant number of "on call" overtime hours. I have a couple of part-time jobs - one is scheduled and in the other one, I manage the work.
When we had the business, he took vacation time to do maintenance work on our two buildings. Seemed like the short getaways weren't enough to recharge our batteries, or maybe we didn't schedule them often enough. There seemed to be very little down time since I was attached to the computer and cell phone even if we were on "vacation" away from the inn.
We found on our vacation this Summer that Americans can learn a lot from other countries and how they take vacation time!
I don't know if the lack of vacation time would have felt different for both of us if my dh didn't have another full-time plus job in addition to this business...

Back