business plans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum.
Are you buying an existing B&B? You need to get the numbers from them..
I am currently looking at residential property to convert to a B&B. Thats what makes it difficult to aquire occupancy rates. Other information I can glean from other B &B websites, such as room rates etc.Any figures this forum can provide would help greatly. I never imagined this task would be so complicated and take so long, but I want to be able to present a professional business plan.
Welcome!
BEFORE you go any further...better check with local zoning to see if you are ALLOWED to do this..or if it will be ok to obtain special use permit. Don't do anything until you know that for SURE!!!!
If the property is residental, does it HAVE to be zoned commercial to have a B&B? That is what they are wanting to do for us. Why would they want to do that? Then when ,(lets say I sell) does that mean McDonalds could move in? If this is so I wouldn't want McDonalds for my neighbor. Any thoughts please! :eek:)
It really depends on the restrictions/limitations of the two terms for your precise area.
For our region and town, a B&B does not need to be zoned commercial....for another town in the same region, it does. In some cases the fire codes define a B&B as a residential home so that can be a help, but there is nothing that says fire codes have to align with zoning language. Each situation is different, which is why the mantra on this forum is to check it out specifically for your location, get it all cleared (in writing) before you commit any money or sign anything.
Thanks. I talked to them (county) about zoning and commercial is what they said. So I guess thats it. Has anyone been through this?
Look deeper, just to be safe. Lots of county and town people "say" things that end up not being accurate. I didn't have any troubles, but there are several members on here who can tell you their horror stories . Get county and or town people to point it out in the written codes/laws.

Welcome to the forum.
I am currently looking at residential property to convert to a B&B. Thats what makes it difficult to aquire occupancy rates. Other information I can glean from other B &B websites, such as room rates etc.Any figures this forum can provide would help greatly. I never imagined this task would be so complicated and take so long, but I want to be able to present a professional business plan.
Welcome!
BEFORE you go any further...better check with local zoning to see if you are ALLOWED to do this..or if it will be ok to obtain special use permit. Don't do anything until you know that for SURE!!!!
If the property is residental, does it HAVE to be zoned commercial to have a B&B? That is what they are wanting to do for us. Why would they want to do that? Then when ,(lets say I sell) does that mean McDonalds could move in? If this is so I wouldn't want McDonalds for my neighbor. Any thoughts please! :eek:)
See you are already having some issues and it will only get worse. Some towns have zoning codes that require all businesses to be COMMERCIAL and that opens you up to all sorts of health and fire issues which can cost you a fortune. Most towns have "special use permits" that they issue in the case say in our town..6 rooms or less, owner occupied, only breakfast served and one off stree parking space per guest" and after a zoning hearing ..if there are no protests by neighbors, it will usually pass....usually:-( So you need to do some more checking at your local zoning department. Get it in writing before you do anything. Or you may invest money that you will never recoup.

Welcome to the forum.
Welcome!
It really depends on the restrictions/limitations of the two terms for your precise area.
For our region and town, a B&B does not need to be zoned commercial....for another town in the same region, it does. In some cases the fire codes define a B&B as a residential home so that can be a help, but there is nothing that says fire codes have to align with zoning language. Each situation is different, which is why the mantra on this forum is to check it out specifically for your location, get it all cleared (in writing) before you commit any money or sign anything.
Thanks. I talked to them (county) about zoning and commercial is what they said. So I guess thats it. Has anyone been through this?
Look deeper, just to be safe. Lots of county and town people "say" things that end up not being accurate. I didn't have any troubles, but there are several members on here who can tell you their horror stories . Get county and or town people to point it out in the written codes/laws.
Thats where I got my information, from the county person in charge of zoning. The house in not in a city, (I found this out also), its in a village (am I one of the village people?) LOL I found out as long as I stay under 4 room state doesn't get involved.

Welcome to the forum.
Welcome!
Thats where I got my information, from the county person in charge of zoning. The house in not in a city, (I found this out also), its in a village (am I one of the village people?) LOL I found out as long as I stay under 4 room state doesn't get involved.
Well it sounds like you got your answer. 4 rooms or less is it. Is that what you want??? See you didn't say that in your other post..you just said you had to be commercial and that is not the case.

Welcome to the forum.
Welcome!
Well it sounds like you got your answer. 4 rooms or less is it. Is that what you want??? See you didn't say that in your other post..you just said you had to be commercial and that is not the case.
4 rooms or less before the state gets involved. Commercial for the county. One of my neighbors is the Core of Eng. Anybody ever dealt with them? If i was a quitter I wouldn't be a very good innkeeper now would I
wink_smile.gif

Welcome to the forum.
Welcome!
MTLLodge said:
We are in a mixed use zone. So, a B&B is an appropriate use, but a gas station is not. A grocery store would be, tho, and I wouldn't want that right next door.

Welcome to the forum.
Welcome!
What kind of a general zoning area are you located in? Different municipalities view B&Bs/inns differently. They are not viewed as residential properties in many areas, even though you live in the building. The short answer to your question is "no", but it depends. Our area is also a mixed use historic area. There are specific allowed uses in the City code for our zoning area just like JBJ said they have there. There are definitions for a B&B homestay and a B&B inn which are allowed uses. It was added to the code & updated in 2004. There are many types of businesses that are not allowed here. There are some businesses that would not be allowed here now, but are "grandfathered" in. If the property sells, a new buyer could continue the same business if they resumed it within 6 months, after that the zoning applies. Some businesses have applied for special exceptions to the code and have been defeated. There is a process.
You need to check your zoning and then see if there's a process for any appeal if you think that's what is warranted. Best of luck.

Back